So would a 8800GTS added to my A64 single core 3000+ be stupid for Crysis?

Sharky974

Identified Troll
Simplle as above. I assume I'll have to do a total system rebuild. But, I wish I could just drop a 8800GTS in for Crysis. How stupid would it be? Gaming at 1280X1024.

At 1280x1024, your CPU is a far more pressing need than your video card. I don't think it would help at all to be honest.

edit: Oh, I thought you were talking about adding another GTS. Really it's hard to say. If you overclock your CPU to ~3.0GHz, I could see a GTS 320 doing decent at that res, at least from what I've heard from the beta, but I'm not really sure how important the CPU will be. My advise at that resolution would be to try to find a cheap dual core skt. 939 cpu OC the crap out of it, and pair it with a GTS 320.

This would be ideal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052 Should be good for reasonable clocks and won't break the bank by any means.

At 1280x1024, your CPU is a far more pressing need than your video card. I don't think it would help at all to be honest.

edit: Oh, I thought you were talking about adding another GTS. Really it's hard to say. If you overclock your CPU to ~3.0GHz, I could see a GTS 320 doing decent at that res, at least from what I've heard from the beta, but I'm not really sure how important the CPU will be. My advise at that resolution would be to try to find a cheap dual core skt. 939 cpu OC the crap out of it, and pair it with a GTS 320.

This would be ideal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052 Should be good for reasonable clocks and won't break the bank by any means.

I have skt 754 though...

Also, overclocking a ancient 3000+ to 3ghz? I thought A64's were pretty poor overclockers? I also am not experienced at overclocking, highly value stability, and assume I'd have to buy at least an expensive heatsink (using stock now) to do that, mitigating any savings.

I think I pretty much know the answer to my own question, it's not gonna work.

The price of an upgrade to a low end Core 2 dou, new mobo, and couple GB's RAM is pretty darn reasonable, about 300. But hey, 300 is 300, and I'm poor.

Actually I can even do a 4400X2/mobo/ram rig for about 200. But, it just seems stupid to me not to spend an extra 100 on a far better rig since I'd already be in for 200.

I know I just said I dont know much about OCing, and I dont, but I plan to most likely OC that hypothetical Core2dou purchase. I know all those suckers go to like 3ghz. I'd be happy with something like 2.6 just for the stability.

And oh yeah, the kicker expense to all this is, I have to buy Vista on top of all the other crap as I'm on XP.

A64s are horrible overclockers, at least in comparison with the C2Ds. There is no way youi'd get the linked chip to 3Ghz without phase or similar. I wouldn't recommend a C2D below an E4400 for gaming ($125 or so) Abit IP35-E ($90) and 2GB DDR2-800 ($70). So yeah, your $300 pricepoint is pretty reasonable... though I'd throw another $35 in there for a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev. B which should get you to around 3.2Ghz rock solid stable.

EDIT: ...though apparently people are getting it to 2.7 on air, so I guess I was wrong there. I was basing my earlier comment on my own experience with a single core S939 Athlon 64 3500+ which... wouldn't OC at all, really.

Drop in an X2 3800+ F3 or a 3600+ and OC the hell out of it. Cheap and the GTS will get fed properly.

a 3800 x2 AM2 oc'd to 2.5 and 7800GT can not play Crysis very well with EVERYTHING on low so I think you'll have a hard time with your set-up also.

He's telling the truth, my friend ;) is in the BETA also. And his computer isnt that bad yet. But, it runs like crap ( looks nice while doing so though ) on all and every setting and res.

Ive had him try drivers, OCing and etc ( his CPU dosnt like to be OC for some reaseon :mad: )

x2 3800+
ASUS M2N-E SLI
EVGA 8800GTS
2Gb DDR2 800

Might just be the beta though. Thinking about getting him to upgrade to a 6000+ X2 so I can really see if its that CPU limited. ;)

He's playing at 1024x768 I think. All setting on low with no AA.

Yes, it is only a beta but, I still think it will put a hurting on any 7 series card.

A64s are horrible overclockers, at least in comparison with the C2Ds. There is no way youi'd get the linked chip to 3Ghz without phase or similar.
Pretty much the case, yeah. My cherry-picked Opteron 170 barely hits 2.8 under the cooling prowess of the almighty Storm G5, and 2.9 might be possible, but you'd might as well forget about stably passing about 2.7 on stock air on the 3000+.

Even at a feasibly-doable 2.5-2.6, you're still hindered by both a severe lack of raw processing power afforded by multiple cores and a diminutive amount of cache. Getting a GTS wouldn't be a bad thing at all if you could also upgrade the rest of the system (you could do well with $300, as has been suggested), but I think it would be a mistake with the system you have now.

He's telling the truth, my friend ;) is in the BETA also. And his computer isnt that bad yet. But, it runs like crap ( looks nice while doing so though ) on all and every setting and res.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Crysis isn't going to be nearly as well-performing as we've been led to believe. I wasn't blown away by FarCry, and I don't truly expect much from Crysis. I think folks who've been feverishly upgrading to get rock-solid frame rates are going to be somewhat disappointed. My two cents.

I have skt 754 though...

Also, overclocking a ancient 3000+ to 3ghz? I thought A64's were pretty poor overclockers? I also am not experienced at overclocking, highly value stability, and assume I'd have to buy at least an expensive heatsink (using stock now) to do that, mitigating any savings.

I think I pretty much know the answer to my own question, it's not gonna work.

The price of an upgrade to a low end Core 2 dou, new mobo, and couple GB's RAM is pretty darn reasonable, about 300. But hey, 300 is 300, and I'm poor.

Actually I can even do a 4400X2/mobo/ram rig for about 200. But, it just seems stupid to me not to spend an extra 100 on a far better rig since I'd already be in for 200.

I know I just said I dont know much about OCing, and I dont, but I plan to most likely OC that hypothetical Core2dou purchase. I know all those suckers go to like 3ghz. I'd be happy with something like 2.6 just for the stability.

And oh yeah, the kicker expense to all this is, I have to buy Vista on top of all the other crap as I'm on XP.

Well with 754 you might as well upgrade. 754 CPUs didn't over clock so well, but almost any A64 on 939 or AM2 should hit 2.8-3.2Ghz with out too much of an issue.

Upgrade your socket 754. It is constrained by the limited memory bandwidth, and has no upgrade path.

In fact, I'm amazed you went with a socket 754 and got a PCIe motherboard. You could have purchased socket 939 at the time, and had mucho memory bandwidth, and a dual-core upgrade path.

Lucky for you, memory is dirt cheap right now. You can get a low-end dual-core, 2GB memory and a decent motherboard for under $250 (shop around). Usually, an AM2 system is slightly cheaper than a Core2 system.

There comes a time when your WHOLE SYSTEM needs an upgrade. That time is now. If you can't afford an upgrade right now, you CAN just buy the video card, but be realistic: you will want to upgrade your processor within the year. If Bioshock and Supreme Commander are any guide, dual-core processors are now a necessity for gamers.

I have the system below in my specs. I am seriously debating upgrading as well. I however have a few more options than you, I can go with a Opteron 180 and keep my MB and memory, or throw out the MB and memory and do a major upgrade. I know theres alot of people doing the C2D systems but I am still an AMD fan and I am thinking about a AM2 6000+ w/ a Asus SLI MB and OCZ Memory https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=6445226, at the moment that combo is just under $380. I know this is over your budget but I dont see how your going to get a good system for under $300. I would not suggest you getting a budget MB, you should get a SLI MB at the very least, this will give you more upgrade options in the future and in the long run will be a much better value. You can get a cheaper CPU if you need to as that will be an easy upgrade later also.
Another thing you need to consider is most likely you will also need to get a new PSU. Even the high end PSU when the 754s were out are not able to handle todays power hungry systems.
Save up a little longer, and get something that will be with you as long as your current system has.

Simplle as above. I assume I'll have to do a total system rebuild. But, I wish I could just drop a 8800GTS in for Crysis. How stupid would it be? Gaming at 1280X1024.

Crysis seems to be CPU limited for now.

Even my 7950 card was limited by my X2 3800 @ 2.5 GHz.

and I play at 1920 x 1080 ;)

Back