socket 939??

jervonics

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
well the inevitable time to start upgrading my systems has finally arrived. I have an ASUS A8N- SLI Premium MB that is doing just find. I have an AMD X2 4400 cpu that I want to up grade. My problem is, my socket is 939. When I go to Newegg and other places I can't find ANY AMD X2 processors with a 939 socket, they all say AM2, AM2+, or AM3. Is one of these just another name for 939 or did they just come up with all new socket types and I am going to have to buy a new MB if I want to upgrade my cpu? My cpu speed is 2.2 ghz but for around $60 I can go up to almost 3.0 Ghz. That is, if I can find one that fits socket 939. I have been out of the upgrade scene for at least a year, so I have missed a lot of new tech advancements. So please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, thanks ahead of time for answering my question. I do not want to go all out and have to purchase new everything. I just want to upgrade my cpu from my X2 4400 to around a 3 gig cpu. And upgrade my 7800 gtx oc to a 9600 gt, preferably a BFG OCX model. I can do all that fro about $200 or under and get a really decent performance boost.
thanks again for the help in gettting my sockets straight!
Asus A8N-sli Premium
AMD 64 X2 4400
BFG 7800 GTX OC
2 gig Ballistix 4000

a 9600gt would definitely be a lot faster than your current card, but those sockets you saw on newegg arent physically compatible with 939. you cant buy 939 processors new anywhere at all, they're long dead. your only shot is used (FS/T forum here, or maybe ebay...but ebay is a ripoff mostly unless you get off a lucky snipe)

Its not worth getting a new 939 processor.Sometimes they cost more than the new chips.I sold my fx-60 on ebay for $230 and that paid for my am3 phenom ll 550,motherboard and a little toward 4 g of ddr3.
Any athlon 2 or phenom 2 should smoke your current set-up.Sell your old stuff on ebay or craiglist,you might be surprised what you can get for it.
You should be able to find a used graphics card for cheap.I found a Palit GeForce 9600 GT 1GB Sonic on craigslist for $25.An 8800 gt is a great card too.
I still have a 939 opteron 165 running @ 2.6 with an 8800 gt and it plays just about every game I have still,even crysis with no aa on.

So basically you need a new motherboard,processor and memory.
You can re-use your Zalman,power supply and pretty much everything else.Its a great time to upgrade,new tech is fairly cheap as long as you stick with AMD.

good luck

ya, as said, you probably wont find it anywhere(a 939 that is).....better off upgrading, can get some good combo's on newegg and spend ~200 for that and have a computer 10x better, as long as you hit up AMD :)

thanx all for the 411. I as worried about the 939 being unavailable. Ill see what I can find for graphics cards and start looking for a good deal on a MB and CPU upgrade.
Cheers

few things i found to try and help out :)

AMD Quad(athlon) @2.6 GHz, and Biostar mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.289571

that is at 168....if you can streach a bit higher you can get a 4k series ati, or a 9k series Nvidea...

also:

Dual Core Athlon X2 and mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.280873 @165

cant vouch for any of them.....havent used em is why

if you can find one, a good budget system would be an Asus M2n-SLI , with a Athlon X2 5000+ Blk edition i ran one of em for a while, got it sitting around right now idle lol but ya, ran great and OC'd to 3.0 GHz relativley stablely

I managed to sell my socket 939 Athlon 64 4800x2 for $250. That in fact covered my costs for my new i7 920 cpu. So honestly, I think you're better of migrating to a new platform. Either i5 or AMD II X4 if money is an issue.

I managed to sell my socket 939 Athlon 64 4800x2 for $250. That in fact covered my costs for my new i7 920 cpu. So honestly, I think you're better of migrating to a new platform. Either i5 or AMD II X4 if money is an issue.
wow I cant believe somebody would be foolish enough to pay that much for a 4800 X2.

im very grateful that people are idiots. im looking at upgrading my self, and im sitting on a s939 4800+ right now. between that, a 1950xt agp, and an asus a8v deluxe mobo, i should be able to pay off about half or more of my new system thatll be about 4-5x faster then my current system.

I sold my old Opteron 180/DFI Ultra D rig parts for $400 two weeks ago on eBay.

Sell that 939 gear, folks are silly for it.

im very grateful that people are idiots. im looking at upgrading my self, and im sitting on a s939 4800+ right now. between that, a 1950xt agp, and an asus a8v deluxe mobo, i should be able to pay off about half or more of my new system thatll be about 4-5x faster then my current system.

it's win/win situation, there's no idiots. To you, building a new machine for 1k is better than squeezing the last piece of juice from old system for $250.

s393 still has a lot of life left in them.

it's win/win situation, there's no idiots. To you, building a new machine for 1k is better than squeezing the last piece of juice from old system for $250.

s393 still has a lot of life left in them.
sorry but when you can buy a modern cpu, mobo, and ram for the same price it is idiotic to spend that much on a slow outdated cpu.

EDIT: I just took a gander on newegg and you can buy an Athlon 2 X2, mobo, and 4 gb of ram for under $225. thats LESS money for a much faster and more efficient setup than buying an old A64 X2 cpu. heck you could even make it a freaking Athlon 2 X4 quad core, mobo, and 4 gb of ram for the SAME price as spending 250 bucks on that old cpu.

Last edited:
sorry but when you can buy a modern cpu, mobo, and ram for the same price it is idiotic to spend that much on a slow outdated cpu.
Just sold through ebay a socket *A* system (cpu, board, and 1 gb ram) for nearly $100. Never underestimate how much people will pay to stick with what they're familiar with.

Just sold through ebay a socket *A* system (cpu, board, and 1 gb ram) for nearly $100. Never underestimate how much people will pay to stick with what they're familiar with.

exactly. I was the same way when looking to upgrade my AGP card.... to another AGP card :<
and then when I was looking to upgrade my 3500+, I stuck w/ 939 Opteron 175...

when I needed to upgrade that, I was doing the same thing the OP is doing in trying to find a 939 chip.
I woke up, smelled the coffee and went Phenom II AM3, PCIE card, DDR3, and now I'm 'up to date'

I do miss my Opty 185, and my 4400 X2 for that matter. (That was a rush rocking on a dual core for the first time). There really is no upgrade path anymore. By the time you need a CPU upgrade, a guy can't even buy the appropriate parts. Just plan for a new CPU/mobo/RAM investment every time an upgrade is necessary.

I really miss my FX-55 Sandy, and pushing it over 3.0Ghz...

I even had DDR500 so it would run 1:1 LOL!

It's not just squeezing the life out of an old system; when you don't have time to mess with it swapping a single faulty part out is much less hassle than doing a complete new build. That said, given the demonstrated stupidity of ebay buyers my 4400x2 is probably going to be parted after xmas (too busy now); the 3800x2 might go as well, but that would leave me without spare parts to troubleshoot moms pc with. OTOH with my sister (and her laptop) seeming to've moved permanently back in a computer failure there matters less than it did a few years ago when my baby brother was still in HS and needed it for his homework.

I read recently that ASROCK are putting out a 785G equipped motherboard thats for S939!

Strange but true!

Having poked around on ebay, it's only the higher end parts that're going for enough money to replace with a current quadcore. Budget 939 boards are running $50ish vs $100, 3800x2 is only going for $50ish not $100+, with mainstream singlecores going for less (I didn't check for sillyness on the part of top of the line singlecores).

I read recently that ASROCK are putting out a 785G equipped motherboard thats for S939!

Strange but true!
Yep. The problem is that if OCed the nvidia mobos everyone used had relatively short life expectancies. Which means that there're lots more still working CPUs than there are boards to put them in; and some people aren't willing to risk buying used. If that market is large enough for ASRock to recover it's R&D costs from designing the board is TBD...

Funny but that would have probably been their best ever selling board.

The 939 parts are too damn expensive now to worry about doing an upgrade anymore. Sell your system and build you a new AM2+ or AM3 system. I used to have a 939 system that had a FX-60 that I bought cheap here on the [H]ard forums. The price went up so much on that chip that I was forced to sell it and build me a new AM2 system about 3+ years ago. I've had two newer AMD systems since then. :D

S939 upper end CPUs (4400+) are rare and their scarcity demands high prices from people who don't want to change their systems.
again if they can buy a brand new faster platform(mobo,ram.cpu) for the same price then its still foolish.

I just got a BE 550, MA770T, and 4 gb of ram for less than $250. It's totally not worth fighting to keep the 939 system alive.

If you want to be really cheap about it, OC the hell out of your CPU-you might find it has decent headroom left but you aren't going to make a big dent without putting the very nice but very old mobo out to pasture.

Actually checking back on that ASROCK 939 board I didnt realise it didnt support DDR2/3 and only DDR.

That kind of makes the chipset upgrade pointless really.

Actually checking back on that ASROCK 939 board I didnt realise it didnt support DDR2/3 and only DDR.

That kind of makes the chipset upgrade pointless really.

Actually the memory controller is built in to AMD cpu's so any 939 will only support DDR ,and AM2(AM2+) support DDR2,AM3 support both DDR2andDDR3.
Regardless of chipset....so 785g and sb700 would be probly the best performing board ever for socket 939,Raid, PCI-E,onboard gpu,up to date bios and sata3g etc.

Back