software or gadget for temperature monitoring?

ShagnWagn

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been out of the loop a little bit on any serious overclocking, and I'm looking to get back into it with both of my rigs.

My first question is what software do most people use to monitor temps? I know back in the day I used to use Motherboard Monitor and Speedfan. What are you guys using now? I have been going through heatsink shootouts and CPU battles, but nobody ever mentions software.

My second one is really more asking of advice than a question. I'm looking to stuff an aftermarket heatsink into my HTPC rig, but have concern of one that will fit. I'm using the Antec Fusion Remote Max (full ATX, very roomy) for my Q6600 with a Gigabyte P35-DS3R and a Coolermaster GeminII. The heatsink works fine, but is too wide with the dual fan bracket to put my bluray player in bay. So here is where I'm asking for advice: I will be moving my i7 920 with a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P into the Antec HTPC case eventually. I want to buy a heatsink that will fit in the Antec case that I could use for both the Q6600 and the i7 eventually. I measured the possible room inside the case with the bluray player, and it looks like I can have at most a 6" height (from mobo to case top), 7" width (front to back), and possibly 7" from top to bottom (of motherboard). Are there any recommendations of what heatsink to use? I don't want to spend like $60 or $80. I already have a couple 120mm fans to use, so I'm looking for one around $30 to $40 at most. :)

Some good pieces of software are CoreTemp, HWMonitor, and RealTemp. I'm partial to HWMonitor because it monitors much more than just the CPU. Just make sure you're paying attention to the "Core" reading and not the "CPU", since the "CPU' sensor is actually on the motherboard, while the "Core" sensor is built into the chip itself.

Some good pieces of software are CoreTemp, HWMonitor, and RealTemp. I'm partial to HWMonitor because it monitors much more than just the CPU. Just make sure you're paying attention to the "Core" reading and not the "CPU", since the "CPU' sensor is actually on the motherboard, while the "Core" sensor is built into the chip itself.

Thanks SicKlown. I will check those out first thing in the morning!

According to the link I put for the case... looks like according to a reviewer on newegg they got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme to fit. It would be a good cooler, but a little far out of my budget. Anybody want to recommend a heatsink that would fit the case (and my budget)?

I have a gadget for monitoring but I'm a RivaTuner user. :)
So with RivaTuner, RealTemp plugin, Everest/Speedfan plugin I can see those in my sidebar.

14brioo.jpg

I have a gadget for monitoring but I'm a RivaTuner user. :)
So with RivaTuner, RealTemp plugin, Everest/Speedfan plugin I can see those in my sidebar

That is pretty sweet, burebista. I'm running an 8800GT in my rig. I'll give it a try. :D

Back