Soldering advice for PS2 modchip install

tdg

2[H]4U
So I've already got a bad scratch on my GTA San Andreas DVD :mad: , so I got a Infinity Matrix modchip so I can burn a backup and play with that. I'm not a amatuer at soldering, but soldiering the connections to the IC that have very close connections is worrying me that I'll accidently flash over and bridge to another connection. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to prevent this?

Do it on a good day is my advice. Do it when you're relaxed and when you have a real long reel of desoldering braid. The key is to hold the wire on the leg (I'm assuming you're talking about the legs, since nothing is more frustrating on the legs) as stable as possible then simply touch it with your iron and pull it right back out. It's imperative that you pull out towards you, not to the left or the right because if the iron touches another part, it will transfer heat and solder onto it.

Which part are you having the most trouble on specifically? And what version is your PS2?

Thanks for the reply. I have the version 4 of the PS2, and the install diagram from the modchip maker is here
The hardest part for me will be to the legs of the IC, any the real tight spots with other connections near them. I really wish someone would come up with some sort of highly conductive superglue type stuff for things like this.

That's what I was saying when I first started out. Now, if such a thing were invented, what would I do for gas money? ;)

It's much easier than you think, just be sure not to heat up anything other than the part you are soldering to.

I'm wanting to mod my PS2 as well... Kids + DVD = No No :(

Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but don't think a new thread is deserved... My appologies if I'm intruding. What modchip is the absolute best? Allow you to use a hard drive to install games on? I've been looking at the DSM chips but I'd like some other opinions.

The modchip I'm using is supposed to be one of the best. I was looking at the DSM chips, but I read you have to flash them before being able to use backups, they dont have the code in them to boot them as they come, their designed more for customization and developers, so I went with the Infinity Matrix which appears to do everything needed plus its a few bucks cheaper.

heatsinker, any idea where I can get the Blue Tack stuff, looks like it may make it safer to do. Radioshack or Hobby Lobby carry the stuff you think?

Do you have an old modem or a NIC card that you're not using anymore? Hell, even a broken stereo board will do. Just practice on something that's junk so you get the hang of it. Desoldering braid is always a plus, but make sure you have some flux too.. it'll definately help. Make sure you're using a 15 watt soldering iron so it's harder to destroy other components nearby. Just keep practicing until you feel confident, then go for the PS2. Then you can look back and laugh at yourself for realizing how easy it was and how you shouldn't have been worried at all.

To make soldering single wires to the IC legs easier, heat the tip of the wire and touch tiny drop of solder to the tip of the wire, then let it cool. Apply a little flux to the IC leg, then just lay that wire on top of the IC leg and dab it with the soldering iron. This should quickly bond to the leg.

Good luck man

Blue Tack? I don't believe I've heard of it and I somewhat doubt Radioshack has the stuff. I usually go there to buy my 30ga kynar wire and all of sudden they cut it from their product lineup. Now I have to drive to Fremont to get my wire. :rolleyes:

Oh and ditto on the practice boards. I did all of my practicing on a useless Trident 4MB video card; turns out the PS2's IC legs were much finer, so it was a big surprise when I opened up that PS2.

heatsinker said:
I did all of my practicing on a useless Trident 4MB video card; turns out the PS2's IC legs were much finer, so it was a big surprise when I opened up that PS2.

Heheh i'm sure that vid card's IC was about 60% bigger than the ones on the PS2 :)
When I did my first xbox mod, I was very shocked to see how small some of the points were (especially the d0)... the pictures make it look SO much bigger. :p

tdg said:
I was looking at the DSM chips, but I read you have to flash them before being able to use backups, they dont have the code in them to boot them as they come, their designed more for customization and developers, so I went with the Infinity Matrix which appears to do everything needed plus its a few bucks cheaper.
I have one of the DMS3 chips and I didn't have to do that...for the soldering though, practice (like everyone else has recommended) and don't rush the installation. Use a magnifying glass on the chips, it might help out a bit (it did for me).

Back