Soldner Beta Demo - Thoughts?

Balboa

n00b
I haven't seen much posted about this game since the demo was released and for those of you who have been able to play it, I wanted to know your thoughts.

Personally I have enjoyed the game, what little of it I have played thus far. From a technical perspective, it definately needs a lot of work. The demo is multiplayer only and you can only log in through the developers web portal. This has been causing a lot of issues the past few days because of the shear number of people trying to log into the game. I also have had some issues of crashing to desktop when the in-game server portal times out.

The graphics are so-so, they are definately not going to be competing with Far Cry. What the graphics lack though, I think they make up for in features. The characters can be customized quite a bit and if you look down you can actually see yourself. Another neat thing is that you can destroy building, trees and terrain. It makes for an interesting game experience.

This is by no means a detailed review, these are merely first impressions. I have not driven any vehicles yet and have spent most of my in-game time just playing around the spawn points and taking pot shots at buildings. There will probably be a lot of criticism of the game because of its problems, but I'm willing to give it a pass "for now" because it is only a "beta demo". If they can fix the problems, I think this game has a lot of potential. At least this game provides a glimpse of what game features will be standard in the future. I can't wait to really play this game over the weekend and see if my first impressions carry deeper into the game.

Thoughts on the game?

Interesting, I thought that at least some of you would have tried the demo.

Alot to be fixed...Just total rehaul is required on my part. Yeah, the graphics are nice but it is quite buggy. Online play isn't great, I think it is from the game using Python and executing Python scripts. The multiplayer code is really bad, in my opinion. I don't like running another application automaticly just so I can connect to the portal. Teh First-Person view is quite buggy. I would say that my expectations were not achieved.

Is it playable yet? it took me about an hour and a half once to find a server i could connect to, And i played for 3 min, then it died :(

Mind-blowingly buggy and a long way from finished. The developers are crazy if they're sticking to their May 2nd release date.

Just to update my first impressions. After spending several hours (on and off) last night trying to connect to servers, I was successful in finding a server so laggy that every time I fired my weapon, the rounds never seemed to hit anything and the ammo counter never diminished. I subsequently crashed to desktop after exiting back to the portal, for the umpteenth time. I remain a little optimistic but they definately have to do a lot of work on this game before I give up any money on this one.

Originally posted by Balboa
Just to update my first impressions. After spending several hours (on and off) last night trying to connect to servers, I was successful in finding a server so laggy that every time I fired my weapon, the rounds never seemed to hit anything and the ammo counter never diminished. I subsequently crashed to desktop after exiting back to the portal, for the umpteenth time. I remain a little optimistic but they definately have to do a lot of work on this game before I give up any money on this one.

Does that to me every 2-15 minutes, regardless of the server, independant of my internet connection. The master server crashes constantly which makes even getting into a game a lengthy crapshoot. Loads of sounds and animations are still missing. Controls in vehicles and the first-person perspective are hyper-touchy, and the FP viewpoint really axacerbates the unskilled animation and 3D models. Vehicle physics apparently aren't even in place yet, as when you try to tackle a steep incline they spastically bounce around. Performance also leaves a lot to be desired for a game this ugly, and it crashes out upon failed connection attempts and disconnects. Sprinting intermittently fails to work. The most effective technique seems to be hammering the key until something happens.

I wouldn't have released this to the public at this stage, as it's going to turn away more people than it captures the interest of. Look at the poll at the official site -- not good.

Heheh, let's talk about their crappy multiplayer system. Now that ticks me off. Why in heck would we want another application running in the backround for multiplayer? They should have just used the Q3A engine....

Back