Solid Brass Res

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
For my next build, 'The Beast III'. Enjoy. I take no credit for it's design or creation, 3tripnip over at XS had it made, I just scored it is all :D

front3.jpg

front2.jpg

front1.jpg

back1.jpg

top1.jpg

apart.jpg

Very handsome.
3T has an abundance of nice stuff, don't he?

That thing must weigh quite a bit, I would guess.

xhx said:
Cool. Looks just like AC's Aquatube+Aquabay.

Yeah, but you want to know the funny part? He probably paid a fraction of the price and didn't wait 3 months for it to come in =).

TehRoflcopter said:
Yeah, but you want to know the funny part? He probably paid a fraction of the price and didn't wait 3 months for it to come in =).

Damn right, also he didnt stop production or give up after the milling tool broke (aka the aquacomputer copper aquatube)
:)

TehRoflcopter said:

rofl

What I like about that res is that the fittings on it are much larger than an aquatube. I wonder if it has the same problems of letting air into the system at high flow that the aquatube does. (Unless I am mistaken but I believe TN mentioned at some point that at high flows in a certain orientation the aquatube would let air into the lines)

TehRoflcopter said:

I haven't EVER waited three months for anything made by Aqua Computer (providing it was in fact being made). Actually I would guess he paid a shitload of moula for it when he figures in his own labor.

kleox64 said:
Damn right, also he didnt stop production or give up after the milling tool broke (aka the aquacomputer copper aquatube)
:)

It wasn't the milling tool that broke (it was a boring bar and they broke a lot of them) and he would have probably done the same if he had attempted to make it out of a billet of brass instead of just machining a straight though hole.

So I guess we give the conceptual credit to Aqua Computer and the design credit to whoever made it. All in all it looks pretty much like a brass Aquatube, which BTW there are some out there in the wild. Even has a Aquabay AT mount for it. :D

However, I will have to say that it really looks nice and would be a wecome addition to anyones setup. I'm just concerned how well it will work in a horizontal application within its intended application of big bore and probably big pump. If they fill it totally up so there is no air in it they might luck out...maybe. But if it is full of water then the main point of having an Aquatube is lost IMHO.

TopNurse: The top port will obviously be the intake, therefore water level is irrelevant.

EnJoY120 said:
TopNurse: The top port will obviously be the intake, therefore water level is irrelevant.

The aquatube has problems (I'm assuming in a horizontal orientation judging from TN's previous post) with letting air into the system at higher flow rates. That is what TN was referring to with this, very similar, design. (I think)

The top port will be probably used to fill and bleed the system. The bottom back port should be the intake (to the pump) and the upper back port should be the return line. And yes there are known problems with Aquatubes in horizontal placement when you run the flow up. Usually happens when you hit about Eheim 1048 flows.

Top Nurse said:
The top port will be probably used to fill and bleed the system. The bottom back port should be the intake (to the pump) and the upper back port should be the return line. And yes there are known problems with Aquatubes in horizontal placement when you run the flow up. Usually happens when you hit about Eheim 1048 flows.
Yes this is correct. Eheim 1048 flows eh? Hmm, I could be SOL, my pump has a 10M head LMFAO.

Out in the wild? I havent seen any unless it's available to purchase then in my books it doesnt exist, Ive had enough of manufacturers doing paper/press releases with no goods available (the copper aquatube being of them).

kleox64 said:
Out in the wild? I havent seen any unless it's available to purchase then in my books it doesnt exist, Ive had enough of manufacturers doing paper/press releases with no goods available (the copper aquatube being of them).

Most of them ended up in Japan IIRC. So I gather you think IBM XT's don't exist because they aren't for sale?

Top Nurse said:
Most of them ended up in Japan IIRC. So I gather you think IBM XT's don't exist because they aren't for sale?

They dont exist IMO, a product has to be available to purchase not just some paper release. ATI's X1800 is another example.

kleox64 said:
They dont exist IMO, a product has to be available to purchase not just some paper release. ATI's X1800 is another example.

What about ATI's X1800? The fact that it is more widely available than the 512MB GTX? Not to turn this into a vid card debate.

I agree though in that, as far as I am concerned if I cant get it (assuming I had the cash), then it might as well not exist.

In the UK they are currently in stock at scan, MSI and the EVGA. Leadtek's and ASUS card 1st week of January.

Anyone want to find me a copper aquatube that I can buy right now?

I thought not.

kleox64 said:

I thought not.
Yeah exactly, I tried as well. Although I love the brass, my first choice would be to have the res made of delrin.

nikhsub1 said:
Yeah exactly, I tried as well. Although I love the brass, my first choice would be to have the res made of delrin.

Agreed.

Brass is more shiny though...

it looks nice but their are things i like about it and things i dont like about it.

kleox64 said:

I thought not.

The guy that made this one would probably make you one and thus it is available for immediate sale. :p Might take a while for delivery though. ;)

Top Nurse said:

That's what I meant when I was referring to top port, I really meant back-top port.

Top Nurse said:
The guy that made this one would probably make you one and thus it is available for immediate sale. :p Might take a while for delivery though. ;)

Who made this?

EnJoY120 said:
Who made this?
a agree with you on some points, but in all seriousness, if you hand the CAD drawings over to a CNC opperator near you (check the yellow pages) you could have one made.

the cost is the only real issue between you and having one.

i can walk into a particular machinist that i know in town, and if i have a reference piece or a cad drawing, he will have the part to me within the week. he will make it in C110 copper, brass, aluminium, or common grades of steel, if i ask for it. the only issue is that shop time cost real money. my custom cold plate cost me pretty dearly as a result, simply because one-off pieces are expensive to produce.

DFI Daishi said:
a agree with you on some points, but in all seriousness, if you hand the CAD drawings over to a CNC opperator near you (check the yellow pages) you could have one made.

the cost is the only real issue between you and having one.

i can walk into a particular machinist that i know in town, and if i have a reference piece or a cad drawing, he will have the part to me within the week. he will make it in C110 copper, brass, aluminium, or common grades of steel, if i ask for it. the only issue is that shop time cost real money. my custom cold plate cost me pretty dearly as a result, simply because one-off pieces are expensive to produce.

Not to mention that unless you have a friend like you do, most machining places will sit there and laugh at you if you ask them for a one off part.

Erasmus354 said:
Not to mention that unless you have a friend like you do, most machining places will sit there and laugh at you if you ask them for a one off part.
he isn't a friend at all: i checked the yellow pages, called around, and then payed him a visit. i didn't know him before then.

this particular shop makes a lot of jobber machine parts, on short notice, for the various plants around here. he is willing to take most any job, and he is particularly interested in any work that is somthing other than making a plain, steel, machine part.

know what you are looking for, and you can find someone who will do it, for a price.

That is very purdy! I am interested to see if you experience unstoppable bubbles like all other 1/2" users.

R1ckCa1n said:
That is very purdy! I am interested to see if you experience unstoppable bubbles like all other 1/2" users.
Yeah, I did my leak testing with a D4, massive bubbles. However, If i put a barb in the top port with a piece of tubing like a tee line, things went well. Last night I took it apart and polished it, while I was at it i stuck a barb in the CENTER hole on the inside sorta like the aquajet? So the inlet has 2 barbs. I think what I will need to do is keep the top barb and piece of hose and use a fillport connected to the res.

Nice work Nik. Black on Copper looks very sweet.

Maybe a piece of foam like Thermochill uses for their res would work for you?

R1ckCa1n said:
Nice work Nik. Black on Copper looks very sweet.

Maybe a piece of foam like Thermochill uses for their res would work for you?
Linky to foam?

edit, NM found it. Too ugly! This res is quite small... I thought about putting a plastic clown fish in there, lol.

nikhsub1 said:
I thought about putting a plastic clown fish in there, lol.

DO IT!! :)

Hopefully having the aquajet immitation in there will keep bubbles out of your system, good luck, the res looks sweet.

I think your top barb will work good if you leave water filled up to above the top barb (assuming you would use that top barb like a "T" in a closed loop...?... Just thinking of ways to prevent bubbles.

My suggestion is that you figure out a way to bore the aquajet off center so the water comes out at a slight angle. BitchBreaker would be the person to contact about the specifics. You might ask around to see if you can get one of his 1/2" modded Aquajets. Typically Aquatube style reservoirs get bubbles in horizontal applications at higher flow rates. Suggest you also think about using it in a vertical application as well.

Looks really cute!

i agree that haveing the res totally full, with a T-line like arrangement using the top barb and port should take care of the issue with the res not trapping bubbles. from a purely functional perspective it makes a lot of sense.

visually, though, i think that most of the appeal of the aquatube is in having the water with an air pocket, and that you see the water slosh around a bit while the system is in opperation.

it would add some flow restriction, but a peice of wire screen material might help to trap the air, if you position it on a angle between the top front of the res and the back of the res just above the bottom barb......

Back