Some 9600 GT & SMP stats

knob

Limp Gawd
With some other monkeys close behind, I decided to fire up a GPU2 client for my 9600GT. I also got an SMP client going again, too. I had SMP running back for the CC, but after a couple Vista reinstalls, I just now got it going again.

Anyway, my setup:

I've got the GPU client running on the 9600GT, stock clock. I locked its CPU process to Core 0. I've got the SMP running only on the remaining 3 cores. I took the OC off my Q9450 for experimental purposes (and to try lowering the electric bill :eek:).

Onto the stats:

Project: 5004 (Run 0, Clone 313, Gen 14)
*snip*
[16:59:37] Completed 6%
[17:01:40] Completed 7%
[17:03:43] Completed 8%
[17:05:45] Completed 9%

So, averaging about 1% completed per 2 minutes 3 seconds on GPU2.

The SMP client just completed 1% on 3 cores, and it's been about 19 minutes... though it is a dreaded 2665. The time will improve, though... had to restart it to install the CUDA driver, so no optimized loops.

Only complaint about the GPU client: my windows all lag... dragging, scrolling, etc.

I haven't tried gaming simultaneously, yet. Probably boot up GuildWars in a moment though. I'll update that experience later.

Let me know what you think. Also, anyone think 3 standard clients would be better here (not explicitly for pernts reasons) than locking the SMP to only 3 cores?

For the [H]orde!

I'm running 177.35, with a driver date of 9-June.

Also, Guildwars (an admittedly older game, but still DX9) runs smoothly... much more smoothly than the Vista desktop. The GPU client was making about 3 minutes/1% complete, instead of just over 2 minutes.

*snip*
[17:22:28] Completed 17%
[17:25:21] Completed 18%
[17:28:22] Completed 19%

My display theme was on "Vista Basic" (from the installation). I have since switched it to Aero... and things have smoothed out. (ideas on why?)

Perhaps Vista Basic was lower on the GPU priority list than FAH? And perhaps Aero, in its 3D modes, is higher priority? I'll have to see how folding performance changes since the switch.

*snip*
[17:37:38] Completed 23%
[17:39:41] Completed 24%

Nope, no change... same performance as before. Ok, now I'm stumped on why it is smooth now, on Aero, and not smooth before, on Vista Basic display theme. :confused:

One other thing, for stats folks: the display mode gives an iterations/second value. At the desktop I'm getting >2000 iter/sec perf. In GW, I average around 1400 iter/sec, which is right inline with completing a frame in 3 min, not 2.

I find this very odd, I have a 8800GTS 320, and I have no problem in vista... ETQW does give me issue though.

I'd check on exactly how much of the CPU core, the GPU2 client uses under Vista.
If its only around 10%, like I've read, then you'd probably be better running the SMP client on all 4 CPU cores, otherwise you'll have spare CPU cycles.
Just set the GPU2's piority up a touch in the advanced config section, so that it run faster than the SMP client.

Luck ........... :D

I tested on my Vista 64 box and the GPU client reported using ~25% (everest ultimate reporting) of 1 core at maximum sometimes a lot less.

Vista 64
Q6600(3GHz)
8800GT

There seems to be a little loss in SMP client performance while running the GPU client, but with 2xSMP and 1 GPU2 this box is producing ~8300 PPD (fahmon set to "last 3 steps")
This is my first run so things will undoubtably change

Yeah, as I look it over, Core 0 is only seeing about 20% usage. I'll change the proc affinities on the SMP processes, unleash the rest of that core. And I'll up the priority on the GPU2 client process (good call on that one)...

So, any ideas on why the display was so jittery on the vista basic theme? It doesn't matter much since it has smoothed out, but curiosity remains.

knob,

I also run 2xSMP at "idle" priority and 1xGPU2 at "slightly higher" priority.
Should have mentioned that on my post.
I don't bother with affinity, in my experience it just doesn't make much difference.

Thanks, relic, appreciate the info.

Small update on frame times: With SMP back on all 4 cores, making 17 minutes per frame on the slower-than-molasses 2665, which is about 4 minutes quicker than it only running on 3 cores.

Also, even though the GPU2 process is sharing a core with one SMP process, the GPU2 frames are still completing in 2m:03s, a positive sign.

Can this be run without keeping a window open like SMP? And can it start just like a console client?

Can this be run without keeping a window open like SMP? And can it start just like a console client?

Yes on both counts. when you install it, it sets up a shortcut in your "startup" folder and runs as a systray app. You can configure it, pause it from there as well. It even has a protein viewer like the GUI client (or whatever that client is called) but I haven't used it as it is supposed to kill performance..

0.png

Back