some ATI 4800 details

This is off topic, but I'll just say this. You should re-read the review, since the GTX 280, is playing the games at higher resolutions with higher levels of AA and higher levels of in-game details than the 9800 GTX, while sometimes being almost twice as fast in some cases. Also look at the Apples-to-Apples section, where a single GTX 280 is matching or beating a 9800 GTX SLI setup.

It only beats it when using super high resolutions that 90% of the gaming population do not use. When gaming at 1680x1050 or lower it gets beat by 8800gt sli set ups and would probably be close to a 9600gt sli setup which is a lot cheaper.

It only beats it when using super high resolutions that 90% of the gaming population do not use. When gaming at 1680x1050 or lower it gets beat by 8800gt sli set ups and would probably be close to a 9600gt sli setup which is a lot cheaper.

Isn't super high resolutions the point of even thinking about getting a high-end card ?
If you have a 19'' - 22'' monitor it will obviously not be a good upgrade, since it's expensive for the gains it provides over cheaper solutions.

^ Ay matey!

Iam not one bit concerned about AMD:s move to focus more on the mainstream. Thus far it has been good for us.

Isn't super high resolutions the point of even thinking about getting a high-end card ?
If you have a 19'' - 22'' monitor it will obviously not be a good upgrade, since it's expensive for the gains it provides over cheaper solutions.

"Super high resolutions" are only part of the equation. When you have incredibly resource hungry games like Crysis or Age of Conan then running them smoothly at resolutions of 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 with all the bells and whistles and anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering turned up is a tall order. What I mean by 'smoothly' is that the minimum framerate will never dip below say, 24-30fps during the most intense situations. Running Crysis at Very High settings at high resolutions around 34fps is impressive but you know the minimum framerate is going to dip into the teens or single digits when the shaded polygon s--t hits the fan.

I have an excellent 22" 1680x1050 LCD and as much as I'd like to have the extra screen real estate of a 24" or 26/27" monitor I would be quite happy with glassy smooth framerates at my LCD's native resolution while using 4xAA & 16xAF . For most gamers who want a bit more horsepower at their disposal I think it's less about resolution and more about eye candy and the comfort factor a higher framerate brings.

By the way, this is what Tom's Hardware reported when a HD 4850 was listed for a short while. Sorry if it's a repost.

The problem with that article is that they didn't include HD 4850's on-sale from buy.com and fxvideocards.com, which both showed 800 Stream Processors.

Tweaktown posted a post-launch article on the GTX 280 called "How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280" earlier today. It contains some incredibly exciting news regarding the 4850's performance in Crossfire configuration...

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1467/how_nvidia_stuffed_the_gtx_280/index.html

The thing is though, I’ve tested the HD 4850, and what’s interesting is that the card is going to be a mid-range solution. But in Crossfire? - Wow! - With the amount of people who have CF boards as well, thanks to the Intel CPU and chipset being the products of choice, this is going to be a great solution.

With that said though, it’s not ground breaking performance in the sense that it’s pushing out numbers we haven’t seen before. See, I’m probably not allowed to say this, but it helps me put my point across a bit better. The GTX 280 is slower than a pair of CrossFired 4850s for the most part; it’s also $250 AUD dearer. The price on the HD 4850 in AUD is around $250, so $500 for a pair while the GTX 280 is starting at $750. So, a pair of 4850s isn’t enough to drag me away from my consoles, but the 4870s should if the 4850 is anything to go by. The best thing about them however is that the value these cards will offer is nothing short of astonishing.

:eek: :D :cool:

If two 4850's in Crossfire configuration can beat a GTX 280 then two 4870s in Crossfire config is ATI's mean left hook. Looks like the dual chip equipped R700 is sure to deliver the knockout blow later this Fall. Nvidia really has its work cut out for it this round. What a great time to be a gamer!

"Super high resolutions" are only part of the equation. When you have incredibly resource hungry games like Crysis or Age of Conan then running them smoothly at resolutions of 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 with all the bells and whistles and anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering turned up is a tall order. What I mean by 'smoothly' is that the minimum framerate will never dip below say, 24-30fps during the most intense situations. Running Crysis at Very High settings at high resolutions around 34fps is impressive but you know the minimum framerate is going to dip into the teens or single digits when the shaded polygon s--t hits the fan.

I have an excellent 22" 1680x1050 LCD and as much as I'd like to have the extra screen real estate of a 24" or 26/27" monitor I would be quite happy with glassy smooth framerates at my LCD's native resolution while using 4xAA & 16xAF . For most gamers who want a bit more horsepower at their disposal I think it's less about resolution and more about eye candy and the comfort factor a higher framerate brings.

I think this'll come down to personal preference more than anything else.

I have a NEC2690 Wuxi so for me, gaming bliss is 1920x1200, with ALL the bells and whistles on, AND AA/AF settings. Right now I'm running an 8800GTX but it's starting to feel the burn from some of the newer games.

From what I've seen sofar, 4850's in CF are scaling VERY nicely in games, and I can't wait to see what 2 4870s can pull off.

When is the 4870 coming out? This waiting will piss me of into buying a ridiculously underprised 9800 gtx oc model.

Supposedly soft launch w/ the 4850 on June 25th but wide availability July 8th it looks like

They're already shipping though so retailers/distributors are likely stockpiling them... or might just soft launch em

The GTX 280 is slower than a pair of CrossFired 4850s for the most part; it’s also $250 AUD dearer.
That made me smile. Not so much what was said, but what wasn't said. As in, two 4870s will be even better.

And maybe the 4870 x2 will be even better than two 4870s.

I'm pretty excited about this launch.

Supposedly soft launch w/ the 4850 on June 25th but wide availability July 8th it looks like

They're already shipping though so retailers/distributors are likely stockpiling them... or might just soft launch em

Don't you mean the 4870? Many retailers already have the 4850 in stock and its original release date was supposed to be today or tomorrow. It is the availability of GDDR5 RAM that has prevented the 4870 from being available in substantial numbers for the launch next Monday. I believe ATI pushed back the 4850's launch one week simply to keep Nvidia off balance and to have both its cards make a large collective splash rather than two smaller ones.

Don't you mean the 4870? Many retailers already have the 4850 in stock and its original release date was supposed to be today or tomorrow. It is the availability of GDDR5 RAM that has prevented the 4870 from being available in substantial numbers for the launch next Monday. I believe ATI pushed back the 4850's launch one week simply to keep Nvidia off balance and to have both its cards make a large collective splash rather than two smaller ones.

Right I meant the 4870 was officially availble July 8th but might be soft launched with the full launch of the 4850 next week. Sorry I worded it poorly

This just makes waiting for 4870x2 ridiculous :mad:.

Doesn't it? I don't know if we'll have to wait too long but the fact that two 4850's in Crossfire configuration can whup a GTX 280 in some gaming benchmarks means ATI can take its time and ensure that the R700's launch and drivers are done properly.

You just know Nvidia is sweating bullets and throwing everything and the kitchen sink to get their 55nm GTX 260 & 280 cards on the market.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9691/index.html

Looks like the 4870 is out in the wild. Notice the memory clocks say 900MHZ for GDDR5... so GDDR5 might actually be Quad Data Rate (QDR), not Double Data Rate (DDR) hence 900 MHz * 4 = 3.6 GHz effective memory

Thats a ridiculous score for GPU if its Extreme but way low if for Performance (of course it looks bugged since final score is hidden)

This is the first time in a long time that I've actually been truly excited at an ATi release. I've been nVidia since the 6600's but after reading the GTX2x0 reviews I'll be ditching my 8800GTS320 for an HD4870 when it comes out :D

Tweaktown posted a post-launch article on the GTX 280 called "How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280" earlier today. It contains some incredibly exciting news regarding the 4850's performance in Crossfire configuration...

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1467/how_nvidia_stuffed_the_gtx_280/index.html

:eek: :D :cool:

If two 4850's in Crossfire configuration can beat a GTX 280 then two 4870s in Crossfire config is ATI's mean left hook. Looks like the dual chip equipped R700 is sure to deliver the knockout blow later this Fall. Nvidia really has its work cut out for it this round. What a great time to be a gamer!

What about microstuttering? Will it be fixed with crossfire in the new 48xx series?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9691/index.html

Looks like the 4870 is out in the wild. Notice the memory clocks say 900MHZ for GDDR5... so GDDR5 might actually be Quad Data Rate (QDR), not Double Data Rate (DDR) hence 900 MHz * 4 = 3.6 GHz effective memory

Thats a ridiculous score for GPU if its Extreme but way low if for Performance (of course it looks bugged since final score is hidden)

Re-read your linked page. They say it was a 4850, which is spec'ed for GDDR3. GPU-Z uses a database for a lot of information (especially on an unreleased card), so it may only be listing GDDR5 for the generic "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series" that they list the card as.

GDDR5 is most certainly DDR, hence the name GDDR5. :)

480 stream processors on the 4850. That's only 50% increase from the 3870 and wouldn't mean a 50% increase in average fps over the 3870/8800GT.

It's 800, 2.5x, probably aiming for 1.8-2x performance of 3870 and 88GT.

This is the first time in a long time that I've actually been truly excited at an ATi release. I've been nVidia since the 6600's but after reading the GTX2x0 reviews I'll be ditching my 8800GTS320 for an HD4870 when it comes out :D

I think I'm going to sweat it out until Thanksgiving or XMas but I still cannot bring myself to pay more than $250-275 for a 3D card. I may lust for the 4870 but I feel non-reference 4850 overclocked by the manufacturer is in the cards for me.

Watch for Nvidia to aggressively slashes prices on all its cards in order to prevent ATI from gaining market share during the 3rd and 4th quarter of this year. Financially speaking Nvidia is doing quite well but they need to minimize the damage caused by ATI's 48xx cards which look like they're shaping up to be great bargains. Nvidia would certainly hate having to to not recoup the enormous R&D expenditures for the G200 series in the short term but they must do whatever it takes to rain on ATI's parade. I'm thinking we might actually see the cheapest 4870 down to $250 before XMas and the 4850 down to $175 or $150 depending on how Nvidia prices its 9800GT.

Seriously, I would not be surprised if Nvidia accelerated the release of additional G200 cards (GT 230 or 240?) meant for the mid-range market segment.

Re-read your linked page. They say it was a 4850, which is spec'ed for GDDR3. GPU-Z uses a database for a lot of information (especially on an unreleased card), so it may only be listing GDDR5 for the generic "ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series" that they list the card as.

GDDR5 is most certainly DDR, hence the name GDDR5. :)

Well I've heard that its called GDDR5 but it'll be seen as quad data rate so I don't know which it will really end up with. Also, the GPU-Z database was recently updated by w1z to read the 48xx cards correctly since he received his last week so it was reading the 4850 correctly (if you look at the most recent GPU-Z shots, it reads the 4850 as GDDR3) and also seeing as how the 4870's are supposed to be at 3.6GHz, 4 x 900 would certainly be correct (besides, that would mean a downclock of memory if the readings indeed 900 since stock GDDR3 4850's are at 993 MHz).

Also, title says RV770 while article says 4850 so I don't know if it was just a mistake or they were assuming it was 4850...

That made me smile. Not so much what was said, but what wasn't said. As in, two 4870s will be even better.

And maybe the 4870 x2 will be even better than two 4870s.

I'm pretty excited about this launch.
+1

I was anticipating the 280, but if the 4850 reviews bear that claim out I will very likely be getting a 4870 or waiting for the x2 this round. Can't wait to see what [H] has to say when the NDA lifts.

It's 800, 2.5x, probably aiming for 1.8-2x performance of 3870 and 88GT.
sorry to dissapoint you but the 4850 wont even come close to doubling the performance of the 8800gt. the two people I have seen with 4850 cards are getting right around 8800gt performance or slightly better on average. in the Crysis benchmarks scores were dead even between the 4850 and 8800gt. if it really is 800SP then something is not adding up because these cards should be much faster.

sorry to dissapoint you but the 4850 wont even come close to doubling the performance of the 8800gt. the two people I have seen with 4850 cards are getting right around 8800gt performance or slightly better on average. in the Crysis benchmarks scores were dead even between the 4850 and 8800gt. if it really is 800SP then something is not adding up because these cards should be much faster.

Its really hard to say since all we are really seeing are crysis numbers, and all the comparisons are from different configurations. The numbers look encouraging, but not 2x the 8800gt. The 4850 will probably turn out to be 30%-40% like the slides suggest, but we wont really know until a real comparison comes out.

I'll find out tomorrow, I get my 4850 then to replace my 8800gt. I benched my GT today and I'm going to compare then with my new 4850 tomorrow, I'll let you know the difference between the 2 cards :) I have a feeling that it will be about 20% in the 4850's favor

I'll find out tomorrow, I get my 4850 then to replace my 8800gt. I benched my GT today and I'm going to compare then with my new 4850 tomorrow, I'll let you know the difference between the 2 cards :) I have a feeling that it will be about 20% in the 4850's favor

curious, if you do believe that the card will only be 20% faster why did you buy it? Was it that you want to crossfire it in a Intel motherboard, or that you like ati more then Nvidia, or that you just want to help competition go forward? I plan on buying a 4870 or 4870x2, but I cant rationalize to myself a 4850 when I already have a 8800gt.
Hope to hear your input.

The crossfire option was my reason really. My MB will only do crossfire and I didn't want to buy a new MB to do the 2 graphics card thing. So it was a crossfire thing down the road I was thinking about :)

I'll find out tomorrow, I get my 4850 then to replace my 8800gt. I benched my GT today and I'm going to compare then with my new 4850 tomorrow, I'll let you know the difference between the 2 cards :)
Looking forward to your numbers!

This is a 512MB card, but the box mentions a 4850 with "up to 1GB" memory. I wonder how soon we'll see those and what kind of price tag they'll have. The box says "5.1" audio, but all these cards support 7.1.

2jbtds7.jpg

t9gpcw.jpg

6efcer.jpg

Here's the Asus HD 4850 TOP (overclocked) box

e6rswh.jpg

The problem with that article is that they didn't include HD 4850's on-sale from buy.com and fxvideocards.com, which both showed 800 Stream Processors.

Uh??
So the problem with the article is that they didn't show the card having 800 SPs, so it's wrong ?

Exactly. To have 800 SPs would either mean taking on the GTX 280 or something is not right with the rumored performance numbers.

Exactly. To have 800 SPs would either mean taking on the GTX 280 or something is not right with the rumored performance numbers.

No maaaaaan, I heard from this like dude in like china on some chinese forum or some shit like that, that like the 4850 will be twice as fast as the 280 and run at 30C and use only 5 watts of power under full load man. :rolleyes:

All sarcastic kidding aside. While it's fun to speculate on new cards, it's only fun to speculate when the speculation is somewhere near the truth. 800SP? Really? You REALLY believe that?

No maaaaaan, I heard from this like dude in like china on some chinese forum or some shit like that, that like the 4850 will be twice as fast as the 280 and run at 30C and use only 5 watts of power under full load man. :rolleyes:

All sarcastic kidding aside. While it's fun to speculate on new cards, it's only fun to speculate when the speculation is somewhere near the truth. 800SP? Really? You REALLY believe that?

It could be that it have 800 really inefficent SP's? ;):D

Keep in mind that the number of SP in ATI/AMD last generation were not the limiting factors in their "poor" performance. The did not have the texturing though put to take advantage of the SPs it had. I really doubt that SP through put is the be all end all of Crysis performance. Espically when you get to High res with AF/AA applied...

Keep in mind that the number of SP in ATI/AMD last generation were not the limiting factors in their "poor" performance. The did not have the texturing though put to take advantage of the SPs it had. I really doubt that SP through put is the be all end all of Crysis performance. Espically when you get to High res with AF/AA applied...

We've been through all that, but if that was really the case, why up the count to 480 or 800 SPs, if all they need are more ROPs and TMUs ?
Point is, the 800 SPs number seems way too far fetched, even more so when the rumored performance numbers don't fit it. With 800 SPs and assuming that all R600/RV670 problems were taken care of (as rumors seem to indicate), a single HD 4870 should be taking the GTX 280's crown and leading by quite a bit.

ahhh I can't believe we're still arguing over SPs... performance numbers are out there! Who cares right now?!

Back