Some pics of my rig for you to enjoy.

Caliryder

n00b
Hi guys, names jake. I've been checking out these forums for a while now and i finally have something to post. Hope you guys like it, i sure do. Just finished it up today. If you have any tips or advice i'm all ears. Im kind of new to all this but i am learning a lot with the help of these forums. On with the pics.

it looks like some of your tubes aren't actually filled with water....

why so many y'sss?

The first Y splits the cool water coming imediatly out of the radiator to go directly to the CPU cooler and the video card. Then they meet back up at the second Y to continue through the system. I saw a 5 degree change in temp when i did it on this particular set up.

Caliryder said:
The first Y splits the cool water coming imediatly out of the radiator to go directly to the CPU cooler and the video card. Then they meet back up at the second Y to continue through the system. I saw a 5 degree change in temp when i did it on this particular set up.
Wow I like that idea. I've never seen anyone do that before. And a 5C drop at that, very cool, literally. :p

Edit: Grammar

Caliryder said:

THIS IS BRILIANT!!! It's actualy equals out the presure on both blocks!

I will atempt the sae with my setup but it will include North WB also.

Edit: I'm confused...will the preasure be the same? Water will travel to the block where there is less friction...

blah.............sonfused :confused:

Will this setup have same flow on both blocks or my mind plays tricks on me :(

Vlad_13 said:

Edit: I'm confused...will the preasure be the same? Water will travel to the block where there is less friction...

Your pressure will be the same, however I believe there would be a slight difference in flow. The one concern I have is that, while all the tubes will be full of fluid, why won't the fluid just circulate around the CPU and the rad, leaving the fluid in the GPU path stagnant. Even if there is flow to both paths, I believe the flow to the GPU path would be slower because it's a longer path (more resistance).

Im glad you guys like it. I have also not seen anyone try this so i thought i would change things up. As far as the flow, once the line is full whether short or long the pressure becomes equal once it hits a resistor (such as the Cu blocks). There have been no problems with flow to the video card beause of this. Post pics when you get yours up Vlad, i would like to see others use this and see their results.

I have been trying to find a way to explain better why the pressure will be the same.
Take a garden hose thats on and create resistance at the end of the line by squeezing the sides together. Do not cut off flow obviously. Notice the pressure and then the flow out. Now take another hose thats longer and do the same thing. The flow out and the pressure behind the resistance point will be the same. Hope that helps.

Vlad_13 said:

Pressure: yes. Flow: maybe.

The pressure drop between the two Ys is one number. It doesn't matter which path you take.

The flow rates will be the same if (and only if) the flow resistance is the same for both of the paths. Not just the blocks, but the blocks and their tube runs. That's why it's a good thing that the GPU block has more tubing. (Assuming of course that the CPU block is more restrictive than the GPU block.)

Think of the loop as an electric circuit. Each block (and the radiator too) is like a resistor. The pump is a power supply. An open reservoir is like ground. (That is, a reservoir that is large enough for the water to be relatively calm. A smaller capped reservoir may not be precisely analogous to any simple circuit element, but don't worry about it too much.) Using that language, there are two resistors in parallel. The voltage (pressure) drop across each is the same, but the current (flow rate) across each will depend on the resistance.

Edit: The pump isn'ta "simple" power supply (a la fixed voltage). It's "current" (flow) is a function of "voltage" (pressure). so to get a full model of flow in a loop, you need to know the pressure/flow relationship for the pump in question.

nonlnear said:
Pressure: yes. Flow: maybe.

The pressure drop between the two Ys is one number. It doesn't matter which path you take.

The flow rates will be the same if (and only if) the flow resistance is the same for both of the paths. Not just the blocks, but the blocks and their tube runs. That's why it's a good thing that the GPU block has more tubing. (Assuming of course that the CPU block is more restrictive than the GPU block.)

Think of the loop as an electric circuit. Each block (and the radiator too) is like a resistor. The pump is a power supply. An open reservoir is like ground. (That is, a reservoir that is large enough for the water to be relatively calm. A smaller capped reservoir may not be precisely analogous to any simple circuit element, but don't worry about it too much.) Using that language, there are two resistors in parallel. The voltage (pressure) drop across each is the same, but the current (flow rate) across each will depend on the resistance.

That's what I been told long time ago, but for some reason from those pics I thought the flow would be the same....silly me.
I'm I'm not mistaking Video card in this case gets less flow...So it's better to have streight flow instead of paralel.
Water will travel in direction of less friction/resistance.

The flow will take the path of least resistance bypassing your cpu block some. I think that if you redid it and put everything in series you would be much better off. A dual rad couldn't hurt also. JMO

That little 120mm rad is no where near enough to cool a CPU and GPU at nice OC'd settings. Upgrade to a 2x120mm. heheheh....and hit me up if you need one. I sell the for $35, and they fit in your drive bay. ;)

damn smart idea, at first i was confused as everyone with all the Y's, after reading to figure out what you had going on it makes amazing sense and why there would be a drop. your giving each block cool water and while the first Y might slow it down the 2nd Y *in my crazy theoretical world* :eek: should pull the pressure back? a pump isnt just pushing it also has pulls, this idea is smart. i give you props for taking a chance and pulling through. im not sure if i would be able to do this as i have sli so one of my paths will probably be considerably slower then the cpu....unless the pull from the 2nd y that joins em equals out the pressure............

My old setup had two twinplexes with the flow divided by a Y...seemed to work well as the blocks were identical and tubing lengths the same (I measured). Then they both kinked, and I had to scrap the idea after having it in for only 3 months. :(

I one of them kinks and the ohter doesn't, you're in big trouble.

Interesting idea, I think I might try it on my next rig on the SLI video cards. :D

- Gyr

You could easily balance out the flows between your CPU and GPU to ensure equal flowrates if there was some kind of "resistance" measurement for each block.

I'm really intrigued by this idea, and I think nonlnear hit it on the nose when he said that it's probably good that his GPU tubing is longer (adds resistence) because I would assume the CPU block has a higher resistance than the GPU block.

I like this idea, I just want to be able to test stuff out now =/. Damn you short funds.

I know how you feel, it has taken me about a year maybe longer to finally get this computer where it is now. But it has been a lot of fun and worth the wait.

jreffy said:
You could easily balance out the flows between your CPU and GPU to ensure equal flowrates if there was some kind of "resistance" measurement for each block.

I'm really intrigued by this idea, and I think nonlnear hit it on the nose when he said that it's probably good that his GPU tubing is longer (adds resistence) because I would assume the CPU block has a higher resistance than the GPU block.

I like this idea, I just want to be able to test stuff out now =/. Damn you short funds.

I really wish that block makers published pressure/flow rate graphs like pump makers do. It'd make it a lot easier to do a proper analysis of things like this. That would help model the flow characteristics. There are still some other bits of information you'd need to analyze the thermal characteristics of the system...

jreffy said:

The tubing is undoubtedly a negligible restriction compared to the blocks. You need to consider & compare the flow resistance presented by each block before thinking about what difference 6" of large-bore tubing will make.

at certain flow rates and pressures the tubing could cause a major flow restriction I will have to run some calculations at some point when I get a break from work

- Gyr

Gyrfalcon said:
at certain flow rates and pressures the tubing could cause a major flow restriction I will have to run some calculations at some point when I get a break from work

- Gyr

I'm thinking in relative terms. At whatever flowrate you're thinking of, the blocks will always pose much more of a restriction.

Back