some trouble setting up TV Tuner...

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
Some background info:
I have the Hauppauge 150MCE TV tuner. I've had it for around a year, used in my current computer and it works great.
I just bought an AM2 system which I will now use for a family PC/HTPC. The motherboard has integrated DVI and also S Video, so I figured I wouldn't need a video card (it's the only reason I got this board actually - didn't want to buy a video card)

I was going to just buy a new TV tuner, but I decided I would just put the current TV tuner in the HTPC instead since I could just use that to record things.

Well last night I installed the TV tuner, and downloaded/installed all software and drivers from Hauppauge website. When I opened WinTV2000, I just got a black screen. No audio since I don't have speakers connected... I could try it and I think I'd get audio actually. I didn't think of trying that before though.

Anyway, I read on their site about the video overlay stuff. I guess since I am using onboard graphics, the video isn't able to be displayed? I tried changing the overlay settings in "Primary" (program that came with tuner software) but it did not help. Actually one of the settings allowed one frame to show up. When I changed the channel, it would show that one frame but that's it.

You guys think I need a video card or something? Is there a different TV Tuner I could use that would not require a video card? Or can this problem be fixed somehow...

Well in case anyone cares, I got it working by reinstalling everything installing the beta driver update. Glad I didn't have to buy a video card...

Base driver version 20.43_24108

Note: This file will automatically update or install the WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-PVR-500 driver in Windows XP 32bit Operating System. No further steps are necessary after running this installer.

Release notes: Driver Release 2.0.43.24108 (04/18/06)

* Improved Firmware load time.
* Fixed issue which yielded no audio and/or video problems on some systems. Problem was rare but nevertheless possible.
* Improved Vista support/compliance.
* Improved audio initialization. FM volume correct on first run if this is the first source.
* Fix for lack of audio on some TV channels when using the WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-PVR-500 under Windows Media Center Edition, Linux, SageTV or BeyondTV:
* Fix for audio problems on some computer systems where a "popping" is heard in the audio, or when the recorded audio is distorted.
* Fix for line-in audio problems, where some audio sources (VCR's or DVD players) recorded distorted audio.

To install: download this file and then run it. It will unzip to a directory. For 32-bit Windows XP, run HCWDriverInstall.exe from this directory. If you are installing this driver on a fresh system, you also need to install the WinTV-PVR-150 driver update and middleware. (see Driver update above).

Note to users of 64-bit Windows versions: If you need a 64-bit driver for Windows XP 64-bit edition, run this file which will automatcially unzip it. Then undate the WinTV-PVR-150/500 driver from device manager to install the new 64-bit driver.

Name: pvr150_500_basedriver_2043_24108.exe
Size: 1 MB
Updated: April. 18, 2006

Back