Something for eye strain??

awmann

Weaksauce
I get CRAZY red eyes from looking at a computer or TV. I work overnight so it makes the eye strain that much worse. I went to the optometrist and he said spend less time on the computer and use these artificial tears.

Well..I'm a nerd. I wanna sit for a couple hours in front of the computer when I want, it's what I do.

Is there a monitor that might cause less eye strain? Idk much about this, but something with better contrast or something?

It is impossible for me to assess what causes eyestrain for you as an individual, but for some people it's the refresh rate of CRTs, or that of fluorescent backlights, or the pulse width modulation used to dim LED monitors. If that seems to be your issue, some LED screens at full brightness can emit a constant light source, which may help.

I bought some regular reading glasses and they seem to help a little.

The monitor I use is LED.

I'm starting to think its the light from the screen. The florescent lights at work seem to flare them up and make them hurt and I have to squint.

Anyone here have experience with Gunnar Optiks?

I have the Gunnar PPK ones, and aside from not liking the style (they sit too high, don't go low enough, and the frame kind of hurts my ears) they work awesome. They definitely make a difference with eye strain. I'm thinking about trying out the Gunnar MLG Legends

It is impossible for me to assess what causes eyestrain for you as an individual, but for some people it's the refresh rate of CRTs, or that of fluorescent backlights, or the pulse width modulation used to dim LED monitors. If that seems to be your issue, some LED screens at full brightness can emit a constant light source, which may help.

Does this mean, that you don't recommend using LED LCDs?

A LED hazard I found is blue-light hazard.

The CCFL (or how it is called) tech. is more healthy for our eyes?

Thanx.

Last edited:
Hi, i wear glasses since i was a small kid and my eyes are in general very sensitive. When i get a new monitor initially using factory settings i can't stand it.

What works for me, is reducing brightness and contrast. To give an example, right now i have brightness to 60 and contrast to 45. With these settings i can stand on the monitor for indefinite time. (Of course each monitor is different, so you need to find your own settings).

The important is to be able to distinguish between the different shades of colours in a test like this.

This is good to set your blacks and whites:
http://www.poweruser.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Monitor-Calibration02.png

This for colour.

http://www.equilter.com/calibration_test.gif

Then you have correct monitor calibration. Give it a try. You are supposed to do this in a dark room. Open a white page and start reducing brightness until you get a comfortable white. Meaning, one that doesn't look too bright for you. Then adjust contrast to a degree that the pictures above looks correct in shades. The extreme shades should look black in the colour test. If you set it right, both black and white and colour tests should look fine for the reduced level of brightness and contrast you set.

Also, lightning in the room plays a role. It's bad if you have a light source reflecting on your monitor or is within your line of sight beyond the monitor. The monitor should be your main light source in front of you.

Finally, you may want to try using larger fonts in Windows:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/33940395.png/

Your eyes will thank you.

Last edited:
Does this mean, that you don't recommend using LED LCDs?

A LED hazard I found is blue-light hazard.

The CCFL (or how it is called) tech. is more healthy for our eyes?

Thanx.

That link would technically apply to every single display regardless of the backlight and it crosslinks to a warning about not being in the sun any longer than 20 to 100 minutes per day because of the UV exposure. Both entries come across as "alarmist" and that's the problem with Wiki as anyone can say/edit anything. Both entries are also full of maybes, mights, and other various wordings that let you know nothing has actually been proven.

Straining your eyes for prolonged periods and not allowing them to get a proper amount of rest should be a far larger concern than hyperbolas Wiki entries. Select a display based on your shopping criteria, calibrate it instead of leaving it on the absurd default settings (in most cases), and don't stare at it every waking minute until the end of time.

LEDs are known to be substantially brighter than CCFLs but it's nothing that a proper calibration shouldn't reign in. However, some people are just going to be sensitive to different types of lighting and they might not be able to use a product as a result.

W-LED is not entirely based on LED technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#White_light and it wouldn't matter if it wasn't for simple fact: W-LED are crap :mad:

I had W-LED monitor once and it was hell. One and only monitor I had to actually use with lowered brightness. After it I had U2410 and it was relief. Even with it's green flickering and hopeless coating it wasn't even half as straining as this W-LED :eek:

RGB-LEDs are fine though. My current LG monitor is least straining monitor I ever had :)
Too bad producers (and consumers too) chose cheap technology and not the good one... :(

ps. CRTs are also good if you can live with flickering, lack of sharpness and little X radiation shooting at you :D

^^ Almost all "LED" monitors are W-LED. It's just cheaper to coat a blue LED than it is to color balance 3 Red/Green/Blue LED units, then put enough of them diffused to the point where the color is white.

I have my Nvidia settings turned way down under control panel and have a Antec 6 bias light kit which you can get for 10.00 online.

I don't use my monitor everyday cause the problem escalates under the light on my job.

CRT for everything else =)

just curious... you people who have monitor brightness issues: did you ever tried to stare at Sun?

just curious... you people who have monitor brightness issues: did you ever tried to stare at Sun?

That would be rather foolish, wouldn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungazing

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/04/26/what-happens-when-we-stare-at-the-sun/

On the other hand, in my case, it's more simple and it's a quite common condition (though many people ignore having it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photophobia

In the case of more sensible retina, it has the positive side though, than you can distinguish all the shades in monitor calibration tests with less brightness and contrast than the "normal" people. It's kind of enhanced twilight vision. :D I consider it an evolutionary advantage. :D

I get CRAZY red eyes from looking at a computer or TV. I work overnight so it makes the eye strain that much worse. I went to the optometrist and he said spend less time on the computer and use these artificial tears.

Well..I'm a nerd. I wanna sit for a couple hours in front of the computer when I want, it's what I do.

Is there a monitor that might cause less eye strain? Idk much about this, but something with better contrast or something?
Dell 2007WFP or FP. There's a thread around here somewhere with a site where u can order them for $100. I bought 2 WFPs for work and it came to $230 shipped. Last digit L in serial means S-IPS panel. Color is fantastic, viewing angles exceptional, tight .25 or .26 pitch means txt very sharp and clear, goes VERY dim, gentle CCFL DOES NOT FLICKER LIKE MOST OF THESE GARBAGE LED PANELS:

Dell G2410
Dell U2412M
BenQ XL2420TX
Samsung A950D series

So u know where I'm coming from, the Dell U2410 with its H-IPS and BLINDING CCFL backligh gives me instant migraines. The S-IPS/CCFL combo in the 2007 series is by FAR the easiest display to look at for 10 + 4 hours a day. It is pure joy!!

Further reducing eye strain is the rather aggressive antiglare coating. This is a matte display and reflects nothing. The only issue is the off angle purple ups glow, but that's only a small issue in multi monitor arrangements.

Also, Asus have a glossy TN gaming panel, the VG236H, that's CCFL backlit. In a dark room, the panel is close to the 2007 in the very important "calm eye" factor. However, being a TN and glossy, it serves one purpose...flicker free 120hz gaming. Sadly the stand leaves a lot to be desired as well since it does not go very low. Its the only other option for pain free gaming tho mine suffered from backlight bleed. Buttons blow chunks too.

Tftcentral and Prad.de have started testing for flicker in their BenQ XL2420TX reviews. So hopefully companies will take notice soon. Anyway, I hope u find comfort soon my friend.

Oh yeah, like a few mentioned, crank brightness to 100, then use "desktop lighter" to dim via software. 2Nd Google link, its free, purple, and has hot keys ctrl + < & >. That will stop the PWM from going ape shit. Look through a camera done to confirm.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but in my experience, I have had the best luck with larger monitors. I have several 27.5" monitors and I find myself straining much less.

Also, it makes a huge difference for me to have light hitting me from behind rather than shining in my eyes at work. Dimmer in some places is better.

That is pretty cool, but I found Desktop Lighter to dim the display further, allowing me to keep the backlight on 100. Still, a very cool app if you don't need to dim the display any further.

.Also, it makes a huge difference for me to have light hitting me from behind rather than shining in my eyes at work. Dimmer in some places is better.
Could you explain what you mean exactly? Like bias lighting hitting a wall behind the monitors?

I picked up some Gunnar 3D's today cause I thought the darker color would be cool. Little did I know the filter messes w/ things, haha! For example, iPad in portrait looks tinted yellow, landscape looks tinted blue. :D

I'll run by first thing in the morning to swap em out. These things so far really rock!

Thanks for the input guys I think i'm going to invest in some of glasses like these

I have a ASUS 21.5 led lcd and have sensitive eyes

I have a Antec 6 Bias light kit on the back I tried two strips but one strip works better. You might want to invest into a bigger desk so you can push the monitor back farther. Just increase the Display size by 125%-150% so you don't squint as much in Control settings in windows. Once you find the right settings jot them down in notepad so you don't forget =) Then save on a USB drive incase your PC has down time.

THe problem with flat pannels they are so bright your eyes take in too much light at one time so the muscles back up and strain he eyes causing problem. Then if you work in a FLorsent lite enviroment at work it amplifies the effect so you think it's the monitor but it's really the combination of work and the monitor.
Whites are terrible while surfing

I have my settings at

for the Monitor

in Game Mode

Move Monitor to a distance

Raise Chair so eyes are above top of screen looking down.

38 B

30 C

Nvidia

20 B

20 C

.71 gamma

44% Digital Vibrance
or

53% DV

125% desktop and IE 9 125%

-------------------------------------------

I would try some Gunners but they don't make clip-ons for my glasses even though you can get a perscription of gunners through them I think.

Bias lighting and dimming the monitor didnt really do much for my eyestrain. Since it mostly happens at night, I decided to equalise the rooms lighting with my monitors. This simply means keeping the room well lit (an uplighter in 2 corners to prevent directly visible light sources). You will of course need AG coated displays for this to work.

Ive been using gunnars for a few years now and in my case have eliminated eye strain. I stare at the computer all day (game dev). They took a little getting used to since theres a slight magnification to them.

Back