something isn't right here (slow HD + more)

Madalienmonk

Limp Gawd
Just installed vista ultimate x64 with new WD 640 AALS as main boot drive. Was transferring fine (if I even remember correctly). Then, later, I was transferring some more stuff and I get painfully slow speeds in windows. Like when I click "more info" thing on the transfer window I get speeds like 8.xx MB/s

Ran HD tune and got this:

Any ideas? (running SP1, hope I didn't miss any critical updates?)

Try another SATA port and another SATA cord; possibly on a different controller if your motherboard has more than one.

Also, make sure that NOTHING is accessing the drive if this is your boot drive; the slow speed may be attributable to Vista indexing the drive as you bench (which will skew the results) or is installing updates.

Just ruling out all possible factors, here. ;)

Tried swapping cables around to no avail (can't switch anything else)

After reading a little on that indexing thing, that seems like it might be it. How long (roughly) will it take to index it (aka, when will it be safe to bench again)?

Thanks for the prompt response.

Eh, I'd just leave the computer on overnight and let Windoze do its thing, and after you wake up it should be reasonably be finished by that time.

Whenever you bench an OS disk of any sort in HD Tune (or any disk I/O benchmarking tool for that matter), you're always going to get contaminated results because the OS is always going to want to read something from disk to put onto the RAM. :(

Though at the same time I have to wonder: 24hrs to transfer 32gb CAN'T be right under any circumstances, right?

EDIT: now it doesn't even show how much time its going to take :(
6.63 MB/sec according to the transfer window

Strange.

Try looking at the Reliability and Performance Monitor to see if there's any extraneous disk access going on from something...whatever it may be.

Go to the Reliability and Performance Monitor by going to Computer Management and it's on the left pane. You can get to Computer Management by right clicking -> "Manage" on "Computer".

Not sure what I should be looking for (new to vista)

But looking at the Disk, it says 2 MB/sec ....

Are you transferring from drive to drive or to a network share?

Back