Sony Assails Microsoft

Conker

2[H]4U
Sony Assails Microsoft

This is not a cat fight but it is a close second. This time around, Sony marketing VP Peter Dille has suddenly decided to let the world know how he feels about Microsoft's Xbox 360. Like any gentleman who witnesses any catfight, we'll just stand aside and watch with you.

"I don't want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they've never done either. They've never made a dime in this business."

"With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-ray, and the HD DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product?"

"And by the way it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don't think that's a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day"
Sounds like he gots some points but its still uncalled for. Blu-ray can easily be obsolete just as much as hddvd. Sony just can't keep shut it seems like lol.

edit:Forgot its an older article.:eek:

Yeah, I was going to say that I saw this article some time ago.

But... he speaks the truth.

Has Microsoft made a dime in the business? Nope.
Is the 360 a console based on longetivety? That's arguable, but I'm going to say no.
Lastly, the last quote is truth as well.

Sounds like he gots some points but its still uncalled for. Blu-ray can easily be obsolete just as much as hddvd. Sony just can't keep shut it seems like lol.

Someone should ask that guy how many they've sold of their superior ten year machine. Funny thing, that. Sony's execs have struck me as insanely arrogant pre-launch about their prospects, then supremely defensive about their lackluster sales since then. Aside from selling no software, and selling less than half as many PS3 as 360s in the largest market in the world, they're KICKIN ASS!

Also funny how they talk about profitability when they are losing more per console (with a terrible software attach rate) than any of the other three, by an order of magnitude.

The only ones who get to throw stones at the competition atm are Nintendo.

Have they had a consistent design this gen... No

Have they made a dime this gen... No

Is their machine gonna be valid in 2017... No

People in glass houses... ;)

Sony can say whatever they want about the Xbox, but the bottom line is that the hardware is selling and the console has a crazy attach rate.

It goes without question that everyone is looking for sales that are sustainable long-term, but I bet good money that Sony would love to be moving product a healthy pace RIGHT NOW as opposed to talking about how their console is going to last 10 years from now.

Sony thinks the PS3 will last ten years? I think cell phones will be faster then a PS3 in ten years. :p

All in all I think he tells the truth.After playing with the PS3 the 360 feels like a toy.The build quality and class of the PS3 far outshine the 360..Before the fanboi crap starts,I own BOTH systems and really wish Sony would get their shit together!!
Im sure MS is already working on the Xbox 720 or whatever they will call it in about 3 years..I dont think the 360 has the grapes to outlast the PS3 once the real games start rolling out..

Sony thinks the PS3 will last ten years? I think cell phones will be faster then a PS3 in ten years. :p
The PS2 had double the sales of the 360 last month and it's 7 years old :eek:

"With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-ray, and the HD DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product?"

:D Sounds like someone who has a few drinks in him and he's tellin it like it is.

I think it's funny that MS & Sony are fighting with each other and totally ignoring that Nintendo is kicking the crap outta both of them.

:D Sounds like someone who has a few drinks in him and he's tellin it like it is.

I think it's funny that MS & Sony are fighting with each other and totally ignoring that Nintendo is kicking the crap outta both of them.

Its true that they are ignoring Nintendo and its kicking their butts but.... Nintendo is going in a different direction right now. I think Microsoft and Sony is really in the minds of more power and graphics is better. I'm sure when Nintendo goes up to it, they'll pay more attention.... ALOT more attention.

PlayStation 2: 270,760
Xbox 360: 198,440
PlayStation 3: 98,470

Math ftw? The ps2 has a ginormous library, and 85% of its sales came after a price drop to 199. I bought one myself a little while back, because its as cheap as a couple of games for the next gen systems.

We'll see what happens when the ps3 and 360 hit that price mark, and there's really no doubt that the 360 will get there first.

I'd say he's got some valid points, except that he's full of shit about HD-DVD being dead in a matter of months, LOL. He only *wishes* it would be dead. In reality, HD format movies are fairly dead in the water compared to standard DVD.

I'd say he's got some valid points, except that he's full of shit about HD-DVD being dead in a matter of months, LOL. He only *wishes* it would be dead. In reality, HD format movies are fairly dead in the water compared to standard DVD.
Looking at the sales numbers..... HD-DVD looks pretty damn dead.

Although I have no urge to replace Futurama with a useless HD version.

Sony can say whatever they want about the Xbox, but the bottom line is that the hardware is selling and the console has a crazy attach rate.

It goes without question that everyone is looking for sales that are sustainable long-term, but I bet good money that Sony would love to be moving product a healthy pace RIGHT NOW as opposed to talking about how their console is going to last 10 years from now.

I don't think you get it. With all the money they were already losing making the console, now they're going to lose another billion, and that'll keep rising now that the warranty has been extended. My buddy just bought a Elite, and it already went bad. I have a 360 and it has already gone bad once. I love it, but I have never heard of a widespread Playstation hardware problem. Not to mention that they actually admitted to the whole console being faulty. How does that look? lol. I mean, it's not like they didn't know about that waaay ahead of time.

Look at all the great games that still come out for Playstation 2. The Xbox has been discontinued, and I don't remember there being many great games. So now, this time around, Microsoft got a console out there quick, spend millions of dollars on snagging publishers, and rights to use names... blah blah blah. Where Sony never needed to buy their success.

The guys made a good point, but really, it's just poking at each other. I love my 360, and PS3, but i'm looking forward to PS3's games more than anything this and next year.

By the way, I haven't gotten my repair money back. Has anyone else? Do I need to call?

but I have never heard of a widespread Playstation hardware problem.
Everyone quickly forgot the PS2's horrible disc read error problem. This thread, like most of Conker's threads, sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. I have more important things to worry about than which company is winning a computer console war :rolleyes:

It's funny that the world biggest software company and the world biggest hardware company are fighting like children, you know secretly they have a crush on each other.

I don't think you get it. With all the money they were already losing making the console, now they're going to lose another billion, and that'll keep rising now that the warranty has been extended. My buddy just bought a Elite, and it already went bad. I have a 360 and it has already gone bad once. I love it, but I have never heard of a widespread Playstation hardware problem. Not to mention that they actually admitted to the whole console being faulty. How does that look? lol. I mean, it's not like they didn't know about that waaay ahead of time. The PS2 has had several hardware issues that have already been mentioned below. It is true that Microsoft continues to lose money on the Xbox, but the point was that, unlike the PS3 [which is also losing money mind you] the Xbox is not quite as important to Microsoft's bottom line. At the end of the day, Microsoft is and will remain a software company with huge strengths in Windows, Office, and IE, all of which are the dominant versions in the industry. Sony, on the other hand, is much more dependent on the Playstation brand when it comes to their global profit. The 360 hardware is now sold at a profit, the company continues to do well via XBL and DLC, and the console has a pretty healthy attach rate; the Xbox brand should turn to black once they address their quality issues. Compare that to Sony: the hardware is produced at a loss and sales of both the console and software are anemic at this point. Worst yet, they're not even leading the ONE market that they should be [Japan]. Besides Nintendo, I think that Microsoft's in a better position at this point. Besides, Sony can't quantify their '10-year plan' on an income statement today, so that period of time is really moot.

Look at all the great games that still come out for Playstation 2. The Xbox has been discontinued, and I don't remember there being many great games. So now, this time around, Microsoft got a console out there quick, spend millions of dollars on snagging publishers, and rights to use names... blah blah blah. Where Sony never needed to buy their success. Sony could stand to buy some success now. Everyone agrees that the PS2 was great but they simply cannot ride that wave of success this generation. Most people don't really give a damn how Microsoft has courted developers; the bottom line is that the 360 currently has the best lineup and is really breaking away from the mentality of the FPS-heavy Xbox 1.

See above.

Looking at the sales numbers..... HD-DVD looks pretty damn dead.

Although I have no urge to replace Futurama with a useless HD version.

Riddle me this....

Counting the PS3, there are MILLIONS of Blu-Ray players compared to hundreds of THOUSANDS of HD DVD players in the homes of consumers. Why is there not a proportional gap in software sales?

If we went by hardware alone, HD DVD should have been dead a long time ago. The fact that it is not is either (a) a testament to the strength of the HD DVD or (b) a testament to Blu-Ray's inability to 'own' the market particularly since the release of the PS3. We've been hearing for months now that HD DVD is 'dead,' yet we continue to see strong sales in titles such as Planet Earth [sold more on HD than BD] and superior releases such as the 300 [IGN/Fox gave it a 10/10].

So why is HD DVD not dead yet?

I think it's pretty sad that Sony and MS have to go after each other like this. After this holiday season i'll decide if i want one of their systems because i bet by 08 their prices may be as low as 300$ for a Ps3.

And as for the HD DVD/Blu Ray thing. Who cares? All the formats do is offer a better picture quality that I don't need. When i get a HDTV ill buy a HD Upconverting DVD player before i replace my entire library of DVDs.

HD Format war = stupid.

Back