Sony Blocks Online Play On Used Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
The trend lately for most game publishers has been to add incentives (DLC, weapons, armor, map packs) to get people to buy retail games instead of used copies. Well, it looks like Sony is approaching things from a different direction, a tactic that is sure to piss off the people that buy used games.

IGN reports that retail copies of SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo 3 come with a code gamers need to input to unlock online play. If you don't have the code, you can buy online access for $20. And those who download the game illegally are out of luck if they want to take the battle online.

Sony's gotten rather proficient at screwing themselves. I'd go so far as to say that they've mastered the art of it, but that may be giving Sony a bit too much credit.

WTF? that's pretty lame. A very dumb move IMO

and since when are you able to play backups on a PS3?

They need to learn from the RIAA's mistakes,

You can't prevent resale and digital distribution, so embrace it and create a way to make money off it.

Such as a steam type system for used video game sales, the system operator gets a cut.

Sony is just stupid, i want high def blu-ray, but i don't want sony to have my cash, sucks don't it?

So I guess this also would extend to rentals at a place like Netflix, gamefly, blockbuster? First person to rent the game can try online, all the following people must pay $20.00 if they want to try the online or play multiplayer? That part seems very lame unless rental copies get an 'unlimited unlocks /w 24-hour trial' type unlock codes.

and since when are you able to play backups on a PS3?

This game is for PSP which is a relatively pirate friendly console. I am not sure if they will start doing something similar on PS3 though.

Still, I think it is dumb. Most all forms of DRM are dumb. I understand trying to recoup your dev costs, but those who were able to homebrew the PSP will figure out how to get into this game too. You only punish those who paid legitimately with DRM.

ehhh, so you have to buy their product from their own stores (by that I mean major retailers, not ebay, etc) so they get money from the sale to use their bandwidth for free on their servers for free.

Sounds about right. If they made us pay a subscription ala xbox live, I would be against it. But Sony is in this to make money, not shoot unicorns, glitter, and rainbows from their butts.

they should just make it have a cd key and check if the cd key is being used. like what pc games does.

silly ppl

Sony really wants to charge for online play but they don't want to admit it. They need the extra cash!

Good for them. They gotta do something to shut down parasites like GameStop that make more money off each game than the actual developers do. A developer can only sell each copy of the game once. GameStop then proceeds to sell it, pay someone $2 to bring it back, sell it again, repeat ad nauseum.

Good for them. They gotta do something to shut down parasites like GameStop that make more money off each game than the actual developers do. A developer can only sell each copy of the game once. GameStop then proceeds to sell it, pay someone $2 to bring it back, sell it again, repeat ad nauseum.

Does anyone remember the good old days...

When you bought something, and you owned it. Then you were free to sell it later on if you wanted.

I agree with you, gamestop is a company I wont do business with because of their ethics... but what about buying used from a friend? or from ebay? or the flea market? games that you can no longer buy brand new because they're out of print?

IMHO, this is going to hurt them more than it's going to help. I'd like to see gamestop go out of business just as much as the next guy, but this isn't the way to do it. It's only penalizing their legitimate customers.

Hell, I know quite a few people that only buy used a majority of the time because they can't afford a 60.00 game.

Does anyone remember the good old days...

When you bought something, and you owned it. Then you were free to sell it later on if you wanted.

If only there were some way to make peer to peer used game sales possible, but at the same time prevent organized exploitation like what GameStop does. That would be ideal.

Not sure how you'd do it though.

I can see both sides of this. When you buy something you should own and be able to do anything you want with it. Of course, in this case you're still free to sell the game; it's just that the buyer won't get the same value out of it that the original purchaser (assuming s/he used the code) got.

On the other hand, since Sony isn't charging for access to their online network the only way they have to monetize online play is by selling new games.

I say that as long as publishers are up front with this kind of thing, it's fair play.

If this goes further, at least it'll take some ammunition away from Microsoft haters who cite free online play on PSN as a big advantage.

How do I word this?

This is reatarded. Liek the 18th clone in Multiplicity retarded.

I understand the piracy thing, but this is a straight up dick move aimed squarely at used game sales. They can say whatever they want but we know the truth.

I just don't understand why these publishers/developers think they are suppose to get a cut on used games? GM ain't getting a cut when I sell my used truck....

I just don't understand why these publishers/developers think they are suppose to get a cut on used games? GM ain't getting a cut when I sell my used truck....
Again, let's be fair here despite the knee-jerk (and somewhat reasonable) negative reaction. Sony isn't "taking a cut on used games." Sony is, in essence, charging for the use of their online service. The single-player game will work just fine without the one-use code. Will they get the added benefit of devaluing used sales of the game? Yes, of course, but the way they're doing it isn't nearly as onerous as it could be.

It should be noted, too, that PC games have combined online activation with user accounts for a while now, making used PC games problematic at best - so much so that the market for them has dried up considerably since I was a youngster.

I think the reasoning on the part of Sony is along the lines of this:

The people buying your used truck are getting a truck with a bunch of miles on it and a significantly degraded experience compared to a new truck. A used game, provided measures are not taken to degrade second hand gameplay, is just as good as a new game, except cheaper.

It hurts the consumer who just wants to unload their unused games for a reasonable price, but they can't just sit by and let GameStop continue doing the shit they do.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

If they want to prevent resale they can.

Regardless, the SOCOM franchise has been dead for a while. Not many people are aware, but this game was actually the biggest online console game(yes even bigger than halo) when it first came out. I played the first 2, but the third was so bad I quit when I got the beta...as did almost everyone I know.

I don't know if i'm allowed to use such vulgar language that I need to describe my feelings for Sony's latest move.

I am soooooo glad I didn't buy a PS3. And to think, I was actually planning on buying one once I got a 3D HDTV.

Go to hell, Sony. Some people buy too many games to have to pay $60 for each one.

Do you guys even play online games, cuz this really isn't that new or innovatitve since the other gaming companies are doing it already.

Wanna play used Battlefield 2 online? Can't, the key code is linked with a specific registered user and email (unless they sold you those details also)
I'm sure it's the same for L4D2, since you gotta connect thru steam and CoD:mw2 since they only connect to Infinity Ward servers.
MMORG games only allow you to sell characters thru thier protocol, where often they get a fee.

Game companies make no $ on used games hence this strat. You no longer OWN games you RENT them.

I agree with you, gamestop is a company I wont do business with because of their ethics... but what about buying used from a friend? or from ebay? or the flea market? games that you can no longer buy brand new because they're out of print?

IMHO, this is going to hurt them more than it's going to help. I'd like to see gamestop go out of business just as much as the next guy, but this isn't the way to do it. It's only penalizing their legitimate customers.

Hell, I know quite a few people that only buy used a majority of the time because they can't afford a 60.00 game.

i agree with the gamestop part because they are scum. However, perhaps the best way to curb used game sales is to stop charging 60 dollars for games. You know..so many people don't have to wait for second hand to feel its worth buying.

Most of the guys that bitch about stuff are the same guys that spend THOUSANDS on there PC's then cry about not being able to sell or buy a used game? LOL

It is like buying a high end car then always crying about the price of gas....

Do you guys even play online games, cuz this really isn't that new or innovatitve since the other gaming companies are doing it already.

Wanna play used Battlefield 2 online? Can't, the key code is linked with a specific registered user and email (unless they sold you those details also)
I'm sure it's the same for L4D2, since you gotta connect thru steam and CoD:mw2 since they only connect to Infinity Ward servers.
MMORG games only allow you to sell characters thru thier protocol, where often they get a fee.

Game companies make no $ on used games hence this strat. You no longer OWN games you RENT them.

It's completely new, what are you smoking?

Does L4D2 or Battlefield charge you to play part of their game because you bought it used? No.

I can resell MW2, and guess what! The next person who buys it can jump straight online. Because ya know, they paid for it and all.

It's not "renting"; it's this new model of paying for access, rather than, paying to own. It's happening everywhere in digital land.

I'm fine if Sony wants to cut into the resell market with this bs. But you can't have your cake and eat it too (it'll bite you in the ass). Sell the damn game CHEAPER. Charge me 60 bucks and I can't resell it? lol. eat a brick.

As for that retarded car analogy. It's like buying a car, but then if you want to sell it to someone else, that someone else needs to pay you for the car, and then buy the doors from Toyota (or whoever). It's garbage.

thankfully i don't own a PS3,if I did though I wouldn't care about this... IF they only charged 25 dollars for new game to begin with. Sticking you for another 20 puts you rihgt about at 45 dollars which is my upper limit for games in general.

Fuck sony -- they haven't made any "good" moves in how many years now?

I can't help but laugh at the people who hate Gamestop and think they're scum. No one is forcing you to use Gamestop, and there's plenty of other places you can hock your used crap. Hell, even Amazon is taking your used junk these days, but I don't see anyone jumping on them. If you don't like the trade-in prices, don't trade them in! It's really that simple.

The industry has forgot that something like 50% of all trade-in credits go to buying a -new- game. The people buying used games are doing so on purpose to save money (most of the time). So really there's more new games being purchased because of trades than otherwise. I don't get why they're trying to end used sales.

Also, all the Gamestop haters out there need to realize that they have like 4500 stores in the USA now, each needing 5-10 employees, plus the helpdesk/support team to keep them all running, and the distribution center that supplies them all, etc, etc. Like any company they're out to make money, but at least they're employing lots of people in the process.

My 2¢

It should probably once again be noted that the game in question is for the PSP, not for the PS3, and as mentioned earlier the PSP is a common vehicle for piracy (which adds to Sony's defense, though I agree that at least a secondary target is used game sales). While I wouldn't be surprised to find similar mechanisms in future PS3 games, that is not the case here.

I would also note that a recent, extremely popular game from another company for the 360 and PC has instituted a similar mechanism. In Mass Effect 2, if you want to access the downloadable content (free or not), you have to either enter the one-use "Cerberus Network" code that comes with the game or buy a code online for $15. The same is true for the other recent, extremely popular Bioware/EA game, Dragon Age: Origins.

Why wouldn't the code be with the used game? It didn't say anything about the code only being good one time. So how would anyone know if you were the original owner of the game/code? As long as the code isn't in use at the same time, I wouldn't see how it could keep you from playing.

I don't see a problem with this. In fact, it seems like a pretty good idea.

The industry has forgot that something like 50% of all trade-in credits go to buying a -new- game. The people buying used games are doing so on purpose to save money (most of the time). So really there's more new games being purchased because of trades than otherwise. I don't get why they're trying to end used sales.
First off, 99% of all statistics are made up. :)

Second, that's false reasoning. Even if the person trading in games at Gamestop (or similar) is using that trade to purchase a new game, it has nothing to do with the fact that the developer and publisher will get squat from the people who subsequently buy the games that were traded in. Don't misunderstand me: They shouldn't get squat from used game sales since they already made their money on the game when it was purchased new. Still, it's understandable that developers and publishers would get antsy about the fact that thousands of people are playing their games without the people responsible for development, marketing, and distribution never seeing a dime from them.

And, again, discounting piracy - especially on the PSP and other easily "crackable" systems - is a mistake. While one can argue the semantics of stealing, violating copyright, etc., the bottom line is that a whole lot of people get to play videogames and never pay money to the people who made the game possible.

It's a similar situation in the music industry except that they have other mechanisms by which they can make their money (radio station licensing, for example).

Why wouldn't the code be with the used game? It didn't say anything about the code only being good one time. So how would anyone know if you were the original owner of the game/code? As long as the code isn't in use at the same time, I wouldn't see how it could keep you from playing.
That's easy: If it hooks into the PSN ID, then once the code is activated for that ID it's "gone." The only way the subsequent owners could play online without playing is if the whole PSN ID (which requires entry of personal information, including an e-mail address) is included with the used game.

One more reason to not have a PS3. Er should I say; PoS3. Not that Xbox is much better. Considering pretty much any game on Xbox you can only play multiplayer/coop over Xbox Live. Why have support for 4 controllers when there are only a select few games that you can play sitting on the couch with your friend/wife sitting next to you. Stupid stupid stupid, I hate it.

My $.02 on this subject:

1. The amount that one can expect to get in resale for this game will be very low if people realize that they will need to spend $20 to play online after buying it used. Places like Gamestop will be very hard pressed to sell this used at $20 (game is $40 new). So more new copies will be sold. I wouldn't be surprised to still see Gamestop try and sell this used for over $20 though. They just don't really have a good grasp on this sort of stuff.

Which brings me to another of Gamestops questionable business practices. The fact that they like to sell opened copies of games as new. What if some of their employees collect game codes to give to their friends and then give the customer that brings their opened, new game back to the store after discovering the code has been used? More PR problems for them.

2. People, this is a PSP game if you actually read the article, so let's not drag the PS3 into the argument until they release a game with a situation like this. Two totally different systems. And yes I realize that this may very well be implemented on the PS3 soon, and when they see the income possibly generated, you can bet Microsoft and Nintendo will be doing the same.

3. What happens if you buy a PC game used that requires a registration code (example Flight Simulator) and you find you don't have the registration code that came with it when it was new? Do you call up the game company and they just give you a new registration code for free? (I really don't know the answer, so I am curious on this)

4. Sony is rolling out a premium, paid online gaming service in the near future if you didn't know so this isn't just a "We despise used game sales." I believe them when they claim this is to try and curb piracy. SOCOM games are pretty much useless without their online component, so this in a way makes sense to implement. This is just going to be one of those games that people are going to need to buy new it looks like.

If people really do not like it, do not buy the game. Simple as that.

I declare the end of used games is coming soon. Every game will be like the pc soon where you gotta have a cd key to play online. Kid tested mother approved on the pc already lol.

Eh... isn't 90% of SOCOM the online component? So they are affectively killing all used copies of the game by doing this? Who the hell would buy it for the off-line shit that it is? I guess Sony has to profit from PSN somehow right?

This screws gamers in multiple ways. Not only does it nuke the used game market, but it will ensure that NEW games' prices stay high for a very long time.

Scratching this one of my pre-order it list. I'm not going to put money toward this kind of stuff.

Again, let's be fair here despite the knee-jerk (and somewhat reasonable) negative reaction. Sony isn't "taking a cut on used games." Sony is, in essence, charging for the use of their online service. The single-player game will work just fine without the one-use code. Will they get the added benefit of devaluing used sales of the game? Yes, of course, but the way they're doing it isn't nearly as onerous as it could be.

It should be noted, too, that PC games have combined online activation with user accounts for a while now, making used PC games problematic at best - so much so that the market for them has dried up considerably since I was a youngster.

Ah, but here's the rub: the online play has already been paid for. Think about it, once the game is sold the second time, the first buyer can no longer play that game on Sony's servers. They *paid* for unlimited access, right? I mean, if they kept the game for two years, and played the 1's and 0's off the disk, Sony wouldn't charge them more, because they paid for it when they bought the game.

Now, let's say they play the game for six months, and then sell it. Second buyer plays it for a year. Sony has no more wear and tear on their servers than they would have if the first person played it for a year and a half, which everyone agrees is part of the deal. It's just a different person using the controller.

So, I don't think it's a legit tactic. The online play has been paid for. Unlimited play for that copy of the game, actually, has been paid for. IMO.

P.

So, I don't think it's a legit tactic. The online play has been paid for. Unlimited play for that copy of the game, actually, has been paid for. IMO.
I don't disagree, especially when Sony uses free online play as one of its selling points.

Still, Sony can just say their primary purpose is going after pirates and that used game buyers are collateral damage [for which they're not at all sorry]. :)

It's completely new, what are you smoking?

Does L4D2 or Battlefield charge you to play part of their game because you bought it used? No.

negative

You obviously haven't played Battlefield 2

Your activation code is is linked with your EA account. If you don't know that account name and password you aren't playing. I'm quite sure EA will sell you a NEW activation code for a small fee. Much like I used to replace broken game disks

Back