Sony Develops Millimeter-wave Wireless Intra-Connection

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Corporation today announced the development of millimeter-wave wireless intra-connection technology that realizes high speed wireless data transfer inside electronic products such as television sets. By replacing complicated wires and internal circuitry with wireless connections, this technology enables a reduction in the size and cost of the IC and other components used in electronics products, delivering advantages such as size and cost-reduction and enhanced reliability of the final product.

Sony Corporation today announced the development of millimeter-wave wireless intra-connection technology that realizes high speed wireless data transfer inside electronic products such as television sets. By replacing complicated wires and internal circuitry with wireless connections, this technology enables a reduction in the size and cost of the IC and other components used in electronics products, delivering advantages such as size and cost-reduction and enhanced reliability of the final product.

But they're going to mark it up anyways, right? ;-)

If I'm reading this right, it's 11Gbps transfer speed at 14mm (0.55 inch), and can be extended to 50mm (1.96 inches).

The speed is impressive, but the distance, not so much.

Or did they just mean that 11Gbps can be achieved at 50mm, but you can move further away and your transfer speed for gradually drop?

I assume a gradual drop, since the unlicensed 60ghz band is supposed to be the next big thing in wifi.

If I'm reading this right, it's 11Gbps transfer speed at 14mm (0.55 inch), and can be extended to 50mm (1.96 inches).

The speed is impressive, but the distance, not so much.

Distances may suck, but if you've got a wiring problem causing you headaches the ability to communicated between 2 near-by PCBs, even if there is an obstruction between, can be a huge help.

Or did they just mean that 11Gbps can be achieved at 50mm, but you can move further away and your transfer speed for gradually drop?

As long as the protocol includes proper error handling (which it must) then that would be the case. The further your get, the more errors you get, the more bandwidth used per packet. The latency also increases, but given the distance I would expect that is extremely low. That being said, the drop-off rate outside 2 inches is probably pretty quick.

Distances may suck, but if you've got a wiring problem causing you headaches the ability to communicated between 2 near-by PCBs, even if there is an obstruction between, can be a huge help.

As long as the protocol includes proper error handling (which it must) then that would be the case. The further your get, the more errors you get, the more bandwidth used per packet. The latency also increases, but given the distance I would expect that is extremely low. That being said, the drop-off rate outside 2 inches is probably pretty quick.

Yeah this wouldn't be a big deal for most people seeing how their appliances are usually under their television a few inches away.

I'm trying to think of how this would benefit home theater enthusiasts where some of them keep their hi-fi equipment hidden away in a closet, say 20 feet away. In this situation, the error handling receiver better be damn good!

Yeah this wouldn't be a big deal for most people seeing how their appliances are usually under their television a few inches away.

I'm trying to think of how this would benefit home theater enthusiasts where some of them keep their hi-fi equipment hidden away in a closet, say 20 feet away. In this situation, the error handling receiver better be damn good!

That's not what this is for. The idea is to communicate between two fixed points on one or adjacent PCBs, not between devices.

That's not what this is for. The idea is to communicate between two fixed points on one or adjacent PCBs, not between devices.

Oh. That's too bad. A truly wireless home theater would be a godsend.

Back