Sony Fights Back Against Jailbreaking

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
The PS3’s new 3.50 firmware update reportedly disables a large number of third party USB devices. Users on the PlayStation forums are claiming up to 75% of USB devices are now disabled!
"SCEA does not support continued functionality of counterfeit or unlicensed controllers in system software updates and these devices may cease to function in the future because of system software updates."

My jailbreak still works...heh

You didn't update then. What's funny though is when a vulnerability MIGHT have been in OtherOS they completely the feature, so when this USB thing came up people joked - "What are they going to remove next? USB support? LOL, yeah right." Sony actually did it though. It's crazy. If somebody finds an exploit in the blu-ray drive are they going to disable that next? The new PS3 - it just does everything. (except OtherOS, backwards compatibility, and now USB support)

You didn't update then. What's funny though is when a vulnerability MIGHT have been in OtherOS they completely the feature, so when this USB thing came up people joked - "What are they going to remove next? USB support? LOL, yeah right." Sony actually did it though. It's crazy. If somebody finds an exploit in the blu-ray drive are they going to disable that next? The new PS3 - it just does everything. (except OtherOS, backwards compatibility, and now USB support)

No, of course I didn't update. I think that is the point. Who would update if they wanted to keep their jailbreak? So what is the point in removing features in later updates?

No, of course I didn't update. I think that is the point. Who would update if they wanted to keep their jailbreak? So what is the point in removing features in later updates?

Perhaps they aren't entirely confident that they fixed the vulnerability entirely in 3.42, so 'just to be safe against future holes' they took away USB support.

Well people are lucky to be able to use their non licensed accessories up to this point anyways.

This arrogant company has been on my radar for a long time. People need to write to them a short note and close your wallets, and this form of consumer CONTROL will stop. I don't understand how these companies can take your hard earned money then walk all over you, and the consumers just keep taking it.:confused: When did the brain washing start.

So let me see if I am reading this thread right..

Some of you are angry at Sony for taking steps to protect their investment. A change that has zero effect on legal users and only affects those trying to pirate? Did I about sum that up?

The logic some people use to justify their actions is really amazing.

Seriously?

Sure why not? It's a console, and historically consoles have been tightly controlled when it comes to accessories and software. It's not like PC makers and Microsoft are doing this. It's nothing new, even though most of you guys don't like it.

Some of you are angry at Sony for taking steps to protect their investment. A change that has zero effect on legal users and only affects those trying to pirate? Did I about sum that up?

I don't think you are reading it right. They've disabled USB support. I don't own a PS3, but i'm pretty sure USB support was something that had legit uses completely unrelated to piracy.

Sure why not? It's a console, and historically consoles have been tightly controlled when it comes to accessories and software. It's not like PC makers and Microsoft are doing this. It's nothing new, even though most of you guys don't like it.

A console was never marketed the way Sony has marketed the PS3. Matter of fact, weren't they originally selling for like $600 or something? That's definitely beyond game console territory.

The point is that Sony is continually limiting use of someone else's property. It is our right to use our legitimately purchased items how, when and where we want.

Also, since when was jailbreaking your iPhone or PS3 strictly for pirating? Since when were the cassette recorder and VCR strictly used for piracy? Sony, and other companies, are paranoid about any changes outside their scope of business.

Your not reading it right. They disabled USB support for even legal users that devices such as external drives to play media such as movies/music/etc.

So you know that slick external 1tb drive? Forget using it.

I don't think you are reading it right. They've disabled USB support. I don't own a PS3, but i'm pretty sure USB support was something that had legit uses completely unrelated to piracy.

The point is that Sony is continually limiting use of someone else's property. It is our right to use our legitimately purchased items how, when and where we want.

Also, since when was jailbreaking your iPhone or PS3 strictly for pirating? Since when were the cassette recorder and VCR strictly used for piracy? Sony, and other companies, are paranoid about any changes outside their scope of business.

iPhone != Ps3, there isn't a single legal reason to jailbreak a PS3.

Your not reading it right. They disabled USB support for even legal users that devices such as external drives to play media such as movies/music/etc.

So you know that slick external 1tb drive? Forget using it.

They disabled usb support for devices running software that attempts to override the PS3's firmware. I own two PS3's one original 60gb and the other an 80gb version and both are updated and running their external usb hard drives just fine, as do my keyboards and other usb peripherals.

They disabled usb support for devices running software that attempts to override the PS3's firmware. I own two PS3's one original 60gb and the other an 80gb version and both are updated and running their external usb hard drives just fine, as do my keyboards and other usb peripherals.

It's about " unlicensed controllers in system software updates and these devices may cease to function in the future because of system software updates." CONTROL, if its not built or licensed by Sony then F_ck you consumer even tho your unlicensed controller works. Wait till it gets to the point whereby if you plug whatever into your TV (eg) and it doesn't work because Sony didn't make a deal with the competition. What ever happened to Freedom Of Choice.
We have had stories here previous and an analogy would be your buying our products Eg TV, Stereos, Bluray etc, but you don't own them you are just paying a license to use them. Well F_ck Sony and anyone else that plays this game. My Son uses a Microsoft controller with his PC to play some games and MS hasn't shut down his machine arbitrarily.

I don't care what Sony does anymore because when the current Sony Products I have die we are done.

That is pretty shortsighted. What if I want to run custom FW? What if I want to re-enable otherOS? These will be a reality in short order due to the jailbreak scene.

Not pretty short sighted, I'd say 80+% of the people who jailbreak will be pirating games. I'm personally not affected by this at all as I buy all my games and I also buy official accessories just because I like the look of the official hardware.

It's about " unlicensed controllers in system software updates and these devices may cease to function in the future because of system software updates." CONTROL, if its not built or licensed by Sony then F_ck you consumer even tho your unlicensed controller works. Wait till it gets to the point whereby if you plug whatever into your TV (eg) and it doesn't work because Sony didn't make a deal with the competition. What ever happened to Freedom Of Choice.
We have had stories here previous and an analogy would be your buying our products Eg TV, Stereos, Bluray etc, but you don't own them you are just paying a license to use them. Well F_ck Sony and anyone else that plays this game. My Son uses a Microsoft controller with his PC to play some games and MS hasn't shut down his machine arbitrarily.

Thank you, they didnt disable licensed products that have deals with sony.

They are here to make money, other companies try to make my by making products to use on systems with out licenses to do so.. so they are technically pirates as well, so in the end Sony is only screwing people who are all stealing from them, period.

Your son MS controller works cause it is being used with an MS OS most likely.

I do hate that companies are going this licensed route crap, soon even though you buy a house or car it wont be yours and you cant sell it.

Sony is just stopping what likely rapes Nintendo profits on external devices and gadgets, i would do it too, you want to make a controller that will take away from people buying my controller, buy a license from me and i will happily let you do it, otherwise, piss of and stop trying to steal my sales.

Not pretty short sighted, I'd say 80+% of the people who jailbreak will be pirating games. I'm personally not affected by this at all as I buy all my games and I also buy official accessories just because I like the look of the official hardware.
No, it is shortsighted. You have to open the damn platform before you have even MAKE all of the other legitimate uses. Even if 100% of the people jailbreaking their PS3s are pirating it doesn't change the fact that making a closed platform open doesn't invite opportunity for "legitimate" uses. I use quotes there because this doesn't really open the PS3 for things like homebrew. At best you can simply back up your games so you don't need to swap discs all the time. A "legitimate" use, provided you delete any backups after getting rid of the original, but otherwise perfectly reasonable for anyone who doesn't want to risk their disc or PS3 disc-drive.

So yeah. Your view is short sighted. Breaking a closed system will not always be legitimate at first. The mere act of breaking some sort of encryption is illegal in the States (DMCA). Doesn't mean that either the act or what it enables will be malicious.

Saying that there isn't a single legal reason to jailbreak your ps3 =/= 80% of people use it for warez. I completely agree with you.

No, it is shortsighted. You have to open the damn platform before you have even MAKE all of the other legitimate uses. Even if 100% of the people jailbreaking their PS3s are pirating it doesn't change the fact that making a closed platform open doesn't invite opportunity for "legitimate" uses. I use quotes there because this doesn't really open the PS3 for things like homebrew. At best you can simply back up your games so you don't need to swap discs all the time. A "legitimate" use, provided you delete any backups after getting rid of the original, but otherwise perfectly reasonable for anyone who doesn't want to risk their disc or PS3 disc-drive.

So yeah. Your view is short sighted. Breaking a closed system will not always be legitimate at first. The mere act of breaking some sort of encryption is illegal in the States (DMCA). Doesn't mean that either the act or what it enables will be malicious.

:rolleyes:

I don't see anything good coming from "Jailbreaking" or modifying the ps3 in anyway. All official accessories still work, so this really just affects anybody using an external HDD for legit purposes, and it really affects people who wanted to JB for the sole reason to pirate.

Homebrew would probably be a very small fraction in comparison to the amount of people who would pirate games on the console.

I see legit uses of the jailbreak, don't get me wrong. But you and I both know that if Sony left this alone, their sales would go down the gutter as this method is VERY easy to get pirated games to run on a ps3.

:rolleyes:

I don't see anything good coming from "Jailbreaking" or modifying the ps3 in anyway. All official accessories still work, so this really just affects anybody using an external HDD for legit purposes, and it really affects people who wanted to JB for the sole reason to pirate.

Homebrew would probably be a very small fraction in comparison to the amount of people who would pirate games on the console.

I see legit uses of the jailbreak, don't get me wrong. But you and I both know that if Sony left this alone, their sales would go down the gutter as this method is VERY easy to get pirated games to run on a ps3.

No their sales would go up. Games sales will go down...or would they? :p

No their sales would go up. Games sales will go down...or would they? :p

Heh, seeing as they make money from game sales and not so much hardware sales.. I'd say they would be shooting themselves in the foot :p.

Just look at the Dreamcast.

Heh, seeing as they make money from game sales and not so much hardware sales.. I'd say they would be shooting themselves in the foot :p.

Just look at the Dreamcast.

:) Ya sales and profit are different things, but if done right complement each other. But ya, No matter they will lose out.

Yeah, today my friend and his fiancee traded their PS3s and all their games for Xbox 360s over this. The loss of OtherOS pissed them both off enough, they decided to just get rid of the console now as knowing what will and will not work is getting more and more hazy.

I can't believe the number of people with sandy vaginas over this. notice no one here is actually coplaining because their devices stopped working or their system use was affected by this. fact is most 3rd party controllers still work and external storage still works as well (i tried 3 external drives, they all work). most of the complaining is just people speculating and spreading fud. over at ars there is are are 200 posts from people mostly complaining about this yet *not one single person* actually reported one of their devices had failed.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I dont get it either. The people using Other OS were less than 5. But the people compalining about it are around 5 million. I tried driverless controlers. They all work. I tried 3 different USB harddrives/flash drives. They all work. Before I tried a new internal drive. It worked. People like to throw internet tantrums about things for some reason. They changed the color of the X button to orange. Total bullshit. Someone might have color blindness and not be able to tell shapes apart. They suck. Never buying their stuff again. Asshats.

Stick to the facts! Stop saying external USB HDDs no longer work when they still do!

The military was using the other OS function on load of PS3s hooked together for some project so it was way more than 5!

So instead of getting the cell processors, using redhat, or some server OS and doing it properly like roadrunner etc. They just decided to cheap out and run to gamestop in iraq or something and buy a load. You can still use other OS, just not while still being able to play the latest games. If this was purely for science purposes, again this is a non issue. If they were actually just using the cell processors, then this is a non issue. If someone wants to use the PS move controller, and run a super computer. then it is. But then again if someone wants to run 5 sub powered folding computers at more than $300 a go, then they need to be shot and have their wallet stolen. Finance was never their strong point anyway.

I do hate that companies are going this licensed route crap, soon even though you buy a house or car it wont be yours and you cant sell it.

Home owners associations can already provide much of that functionality.

Back