Sony "May Never Know" What the Hackers Stole

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony's Kaz Hirai recently told the BBC that his company "may never know" what info was taken or who did it. Although that revelation is a bit scary, I sure appreciate Mr. Hirai's honesty compared to Howard Stringer's excuses.

"It could be the entire account information," Hirai added. "We just don't know." That's not all Sony doesn't know. Hirai said that the intruders were "very good" at covering their tracks on their way out of Sony's servers. "We may not know for a very long time or we may never know," said Hirai.

well... normal safety precautions always apply with online CC useage, I guess :(

As far as the console wars, I see many pundits talking about Sony having a bad quarter. I think that Sony's console woes will last a very long time, especially in competition with Kinect. Unless the PS4 totally wows the audience, they may as well give it up. OTOH, they are banking on short attention spans of their customers and, who knows, they could be right.

I can ALMOST guarantee that PS4's online Will be PAID subscription. To recoup some of this loss, and help w/ keeping the Security High.

I can ALMOST guarantee that PS4's online Will be PAID subscription. To recoup some of this loss, and help w/ keeping the Security High.

They should include a Key Fob that you have to use to authenticate to the system. But people would not like that

I think most people realized this when it took $ony a week to tell customers their info had been stolen. No surprise here.

That's a sure fire way to piss more people off, the whole reason why the PSN was free is because they charged game and movie company's a fee to host their products on PSN like a virtual store front, lack of money was not the reason why the hack happened.

I think most people realized this when it took $ony a week to tell customers their info had been stolen. No surprise here.

That's a sure fire way to piss more people off, the whole reason why the PSN was free is because they charged game and movie company's a fee to host their products on PSN like a virtual store front, lack of money was not the reason why the hack happened.

and why not simply use the console as the key fob... nvm.

Sony is garbage.

They have repeatedly disrespected and harmed their customers, and I won't have jack to do with them again.

In my opinion they should be shut down totally from doing electronic transactions or storing cutomer information, effectively banning them from doing business in this century.

They should include a Key Fob that you have to use to authenticate to the system. But people would not like that

I'm honestly suprised more ppls arent doing this. I know World of Warcraft uses this system (aka "WoW Authenticator") and apparently it's a very popular security method considering how many Authenticator-pets I see on there (not that I'm seeing anywhere near as many PLAYERS but...)

As far as the console wars, I see many pundits talking about Sony having a bad quarter. I think that Sony's console woes will last a very long time, especially in competition with Kinect.

LOL. That's pretty damn funny. You Sony trolls are pretty entertaining.

When the account info is stored in plain text and stolen from server, not client, a hardlock isn't much help.

When the account info is stored in plain text and stolen from server, not client, a hardlock isn't much help.

The whole point is that you have to authenticate to the servers to access any information. Hince securing the servers.

From a company who specializes in lawsuits instead of their workforce Sony is a good example of stupidity in the corporate world , even if they charged I very much doubt they are going to get money from charging .....

Not a keyfob that you hold like an RSA key but perhaps one that plugs into the console. So you buy a PS4 it comes with an unactivated RSA like key that can physically plug into your PS4. You register it and your account is locked to that console/rsa combo.

Sony's Kaz Hirai recently told the BBC that his company "may never know" what info was taken or who did it. Although that revelation is a bit scary, I sure appreciate Mr. Hirai's honesty compared to Howard Stringer's excuses.

BS. They stored the peoples password in plain text. For fun they placed a couple thousand account names and passwords in a torrent file and made it available.

Back