Sony Now Says 10M Credit Cards Accounts Compromised

Sony’s Online Portal Goes Down

Sony Online Entertainment's PC portal Station.com, home to games like EverQuest and DC Universe Online, is offline. Station.com's homepage currently reads:

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

It is still unconfirmed whether this breach is related to the PSN breach or if it is separate breach

http://kotaku.com/#!5797619/sonys-online-portal-goes-down

Wonderful. The hits just keep on coming.

I sure am glad I always went through the trouble of deleting my CC information from my profile after making online purchases on PSN. I don't like anybody storing my CC info and avoid it as much as possible.

I am not sure of Sony's practices, but, just because you delete it doesn't mean it is not stored :]

Wonderful. The hits just keep on coming.

SOE was down at that start of this and has been sporadic throughout the last couple of weeks. People just barely noticed since not many people play Free Realms or Everquest. My kid plays Free Realms so I have been dealing with it :rolleyes:

I would like to see the credit card companies start suing companies that have data theft.

Maybe if Chase or slapped Sony with a $100M lawsuit for damages, then Sony might start taking security more serious.

SOE was down at that start of this and has been sporadic throughout the last couple of weeks. People just barely noticed since not many people play Free Realms or Everquest. My kid plays Free Realms so I have been dealing with it :rolleyes:

You have some of that Sony-Aid left. I want to try some of it since it must be the best stuff around.

So, where does it say that 10m accounts were compromised? I see that on [H]'s headline but nowhere else. Is Steve just making stuff up or were they confirmed stolen now?

[H] headlines = National Enquirer

Also if the hackers did get any numbers, they didn't get the CVV2 numbers on the back of the cards needed to make online transactions.

Wont stop them from printing duplicate cards and having people use them in person.

You don't even need the correct name or billing address either. My debit card number got stolen and signed up for some block buster account and bought some movie tickets on fandango all under a completely different name and not even the same state billing address. Basically all they needed to know was a valid card number.

It depends on the merchant. Some pay for and use stronger security methods then others, like the verified by visa thing, or address verification, all those are up to the merchant because they are the ones that end up paying if the transaction is successfully disputed.

So, where does it say that 10m accounts were compromised? I see that on [H]'s headline but nowhere else. Is Steve just making stuff up or were they confirmed stolen now?

In the article it's mentioned at least twice.

It's a good thing Sony warned people to be vigilant about their credit cards, because as part of the company's Tokyo press conference yesterday PlayStation boss Kaz Hirai said that up to ten million customer's account details could have been compromised.

"That's not the personal details on their PSN account - all 77 million of those were up for grabs - that's ten million customer's credit card details. We've known for some time that credit card details have been at risk as part of the attack on the network, but this is the first time Sony has been able to put a figure on the number of card holders potentially affected."

Authorizations are actually handled directly by the bank

Depends.... not always and not most of the time. Often there are dollar limits, purchased under that limit get auto approved so long as the card # and possible cvv2 pass numerical checks. Some merchants, like the big chain stores wont send in auth checks under $50 to $100 because they get charged on a card by card basis and instead do cheaper batch processing over night.

Further most auth's are made by the visa/ms or other specific card system based on last known balance. Unless the financial institution has flagged that account number for special handling.

Some banks will update frequently, smaller banks like credit unions will sometimes only update once or twice a day.

Some merchants choose to pay more per card and have the cvv2, name and address fully checked at time of purchase. This can also cause problems, because of your bank has a letter wrong or a comma in the wrong place in your address, or name (including your middle name), it will fail and refuse the card. Also many out of US banks dont support some of the 'advanced' authorizations which will cause an auto fail.

Bottom line, no, in most cases the bank does not handle the authorization, that is what they pay visa/mc/disc/amex etc to do for them.

Yeah I knew Sony was either lying when they said that there was no evidence of CC details being compromised during the intrusion or that it was simply only a matter of time until they did so I already called the bank for the card I had used to make a couple of purchases on PSN and had them issue me a new card so that nothing using those old numbers would go through.

I would like to see the credit card companies start suing companies that have data theft.

Maybe if Chase or slapped Sony with a $100M lawsuit for damages, then Sony might start taking security more serious.

There is no reason for the credit card companies or visa to sue, it would not be in their best interest. Both of those lines of business make money for cards being used. If they get sue happy less merchants will use cards or only use card type x and over all the bloated banking industry makes less profit.

The way the system is set up the merchant who accepts a card is responsible if it turns out to be fraudulent.

When your bank files a credit/debit card dispute they pay an up front fee to visa (using visa as the example the others are very similar) last I heard that fee was $50, no doubt by now it is $75 or $100. That is why banks dont like to file claims left and right, if visa (the deciding/judging party upholds the claim the filing fee is switched to the merchant along with the charge back for whatever $amount the claim was filed at.

Since visa (and the others) and the banks dont take the financial hit they really dont have an interest in suing. We the consumers take the hit in higher prices, because no one (or at least very few people) wants to be hassled about their card when making a purchase.

It doesn't say anywhere that credit card numbers were stolen. Kotaku is putting up fake headlines in order to generate hits and nerd rage. Apparently everyone here supports that trash though.

I have a PS3, but never put my CC on the PSN so I should be all set. Hell I haven't even been on that PS3 for months now and already changed my email PW after not using it, so I am set there as well.

Same here with the CC bit. I never put one in, so that's one issue I don't have to worry about. I don't want to have it where someone accidentally purchases something while on the PS3. No need to worry about separate accounts with this.

It doesn't say anywhere that credit card numbers were stolen. Kotaku is putting up fake headlines in order to generate hits and nerd rage. Apparently everyone here supports that trash though.
The AP is reporting that number from the press conference Sony gave earlier today. Lots of sites have picked up that number too.

"In a press conference, Sony President Kazuo Hirai said that as many as 10 million credit card numbers may have been exposed..."

Apparently Sony's threats of Anonymous really doing nothing to their network but a "blip" really backfired and fucked them in the ass after all.

Just goes to show you, shit talking sometimes gives you a shovel full of your own to eat.

The AP is reporting that number from the press conference Sony gave earlier today. Lots of sites have picked up that number too.

"In a press conference, Sony President Kazuo Hirai said that as many as 10 million credit card numbers may have been exposed..."

They've said they may have been exposed since the beginning. The headlines make it look that the numbers were definitely stolen.

GishForever: LOL, no Sony has not been transparent since the beginning. Pretty ridiculous claim you made there.

Sony’s Online Portal Goes Down
Another data breach: Sony attacked again, 12,700 non-US CC numbers feared stolen

In a twist, the company has also announced a number of older credit card numbers and expiration dates from an older, 2007 database may have been compromised. "...12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained—we will be notifying each of those customers promptly," Sony explained.
Gee, maybe the hackers got lost and left all the current CC#s alone. :rolleyes:

It's looking like someone really wants to own Sony. If Sony is as lame as "security" company HBGary Federal, emails should start appearing soon. :p

To me the only way they can make this right is to pay for a credit monitoring service for every single customer whose information was compromised.

Anything less, and I'll never buy another Sony product again.

I sure am glad I always went through the trouble of deleting my CC information from my profile after making online purchases on PSN. I don't like anybody storing my CC info and avoid it as much as possible.

I do the same and the same with any other site I deal with, like Steam. But users of iTunes don't even get a choice. Apple stores your CC# permanently with no option to remove it. I trust Apple with my info about as much as I trust Sony.

I do the same and the same with any other site I deal with, like Steam. But users of iTunes don't even get a choice. Apple stores your CC# permanently with no option to remove it. I trust Apple with my info about as much as I trust Sony.

I was able to take my CC off Itunes, maybe a recent change?

Back