Sony PlayStation Reaches into Qore Gamers' Wallets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Computer Entertainment America is launching a new monthly program called Qore that charges $2.99 for game previews, trailers, downloadable content, betas and game related material.

The first "episode" comes out this Thursday and is available through the PlayStation 3, through its online store. The way it works is you either buy an individual episode ($2.99 each) or an annual subscription ($24.99) and get a few hours worth of HD content that you can watch as you choose. It's like an interactive video magazine.

Now, before I go off on one of my tangents, I want your opinion on this. Obviously there is only so much content out there (for any platform) which means that all of the Qore content, demos and such will not be available to the regular PlayStation Network users. All the videos and such that are available for free everywhere else will now cost you $2.99. Does this sound good to any of you?

Even if I had a PS3 I wouldn't go for this. Why do I have to pay $2.99 to find out if I want to buy a game? In addition, It's not like any of the news that they will be offering is going to be exclusive to their "episodes." I don't see the point, M$ offers the same service for free why is Sony charging for it? Lastly I don't give a crap about downloadable content, if it was essential to gameplay it would have been in there to start with, it's just another way to pump the customer for every dime he has. Qore Fails.

Sony has just gone out of their way to piss people off lately.

This is just a stepping stone for Sony to start charging to play online.

In fact, there better not be a single ps3 fanboy who has ever bitched about MS charging for Live, saying this is a good thing.

I doubt they're going to be charging for the old content that's available for free. Maybe it'll be worth it, it'll be interesting to see what they package with it. Personally I wouldn't go for it just because I buy a game console/bluray player to play games and watch movies, not get demos and watch video magazines...

This is just a stepping stone for Sony to start charging to play online.

In fact, there better not be a single ps3 fanboy who has ever bitched about MS charging for Live, saying this is a good thing.

lol my friend has... i have a ps3 and a ps3 fan boy :O but i think that the MS live is worth the price! In fact i want to get a 360 for the xbox live :), and i think what Sony is doing is retard i mean... who would want to pay $3 for previews?! Yea Sony is getting out of hands... sighs..

how is sony doing anything that MS hasn't been doing from the beginning? so whats the big deal, for 25 dollars a year it might be worth it, why do people buy gaming magazines in the store or a subscription? everything in them can be found online for free, why have a lot of us paid for certain access to the [H]? or Fileplanet or FileShack? one reason is because we choose to the other is support the things we like to get faster downloads, exclusive content, ect.

Every one of us with a 360 pays for XBL and almost everything on XBL and PSN you have to pay for except demos but all game add-on stuff means you pay,

So if Sony launches this like a monthly gaming mag at the low cost of $3 i would gladly pay for a year to support them.

Mac[X-D];1032570081 said:
how is sony doing anything that MS hasn't been doing from the beginning? so whats the big deal, for 25 dollars a year it might be worth it, why do people buy gaming magazines in the store or a subscription? everything in them can be found online for free, why have a lot of us paid for certain access to the [H]?

Not sure what you are talking about, Xbox Live Silver gets ALL the same demos, video, etc. etc. etc. that Xbox Live Gold members do. ALL THE SAME CONTENT.

If you are cool paying extra for stuff everyone else on every other platform gets for free, that's cool and your choice.

Sounds good to me unless there are a bunch of popups/banners/advertising. Plus its easier access for people that may not have PCs and actually use the PS3 browser.

This is bullshit, and I will never pay for it. I don't see this succeeding at all.

Well Gold members do get demo's a week before silver accounts do.

But if this is like a full fledged online mag in HD, then yeah it would be worth it. I mean if you subscibe to a gaming magazine what the hell is the difference?

how is this any different then filefront, or IGN insider that boatloads of people pay for.

when sony charges for matchmaking like XBL, then you can flip out.

Not sure what you are talking about, Xbox Live Silver gets ALL the same demos, video, etc. etc. etc. that Xbox Live Gold members do. ALL THE SAME CONTENT.

If you are cool paying extra for stuff everyone else on every other platform gets for free, that's cool and your choice.

That maybe so but in every avenue of the internet and online gaming and additional content you can, if you choose to pay for extra features, bonus this and that. So people choose to pay, i paid for a life time subscription to the [H] even though i was getting everything that everyone with a internet connection could get for free, except access to general mayhem ect... to support the [H] and have access to some feature content, its all about choice. Sony and MS don't make us pay, they offer a product we either choose to pay or not to pay.

You do get a different level of stuff with a gold XBL membership there are things you can't do with just a silver or no one in there right mind would be paying MS for XBL gold if all you needed was a silver..

Who knows what its even going to be, for all we know it could be a like a online magazine show i think we need to see the product before we can just put it off as not worth it, or a stupid idea, because until any of us actually sees it we don't know crap. but when it comes out and if i think its worth it i will gladly support Sony.

Well Gold members do get demo's a week before silver accounts do.

But if this is like a full fledged online mag in HD, then yeah it would be worth it. I mean if you subscibe to a gaming magazine what the hell is the difference?

Well said.

Did anyone complaining here actually read the fucking article ?? I mean Steve posted it, but obviously didn't read the entire thing, which I think he does with a lot of news that he post's.

No offense Steve, but I'm pretty sure that's why you double post, make spelling errors, comments that are wrong in the title description or text you post all the time on the main page. :p

Back on topic, this is additional content you'll be subscribing too, not the stuff that's already free, but content that is focus based on certain games/demo's/video/upgrades/beta's etc. I'm sure they'll have a description up of each months issue so you can decide if you would like to buy it or not.

Plus 13 issues/months for $25 bucks is rather cheap compared to mags that are always behind on info and half the time outdated by the time you read it. Also, most of the game dvd/cd's that contain demo's etc usually suck ballz anyway imo.

Here's the info for those too lazy to click the link and read up on it.

Qore for PS3

Sony Computer Entertainment America today announced Qore, a monthly video magazine starring Veronica Belmont (pictured left) that can be purchased and downloaded from the PS3's PlayStation Store.

The first issue, due June 5 and priced at $2.99, contains a SOCOM: Confrontation (PS3) beta invitation, "never-before released content" of upcoming games, and "a few other surprises."

Subscriptions for thirteen Qore releases will be available at $24.99, with subscribers netting "special access to game demos, betas, add-ons and other downloadable and game-related content." For a limited time, subscribers will also receive Incognito's top-down criminal chasing title Calling All Cars! for free.

Each episode of Qore is said to let players use multiple windows, picture-in-picture, and other features to control the content. Sony noted that this setup "provides advertisers with a new class of interactive advertising through rich media executions, video trailers, active ad pages and contextual branding."

Published by SCEA and produced by PlayStation: The Official Magazine publisher Future US, Qore will hit the PlayStation Store first Thursday of every month. According to Sony, it represents the first of the company's plans to provide community-focused original content.

how is this any different then filefront, or IGN insider that boatloads of people pay for.

when sony charges for matchmaking like XBL, then you can flip out.

This is from Xbox.com

In Plain English
In a nutshell, with Xbox Live Silver you are automatically a part of the Xbox Live community. You can send and receive messages from the millions of members already online, download system and game updates, and shop for premium content.

Xbox Live Gold members can do all of those things, plus play games online with or against friends, enter tournaments, engage in video chat (coming in 2006), and tailor matchmaking through feedback, plus get access to special "members only" content not available to Silver members. In other words, you get the full Xbox 360 experience with Xbox Live Gold.

Once you're ready to take the plunge, reserve your gamertag and gamer card online at Xbox.com or through your Xbox 360 Dashboard and prepare yourself for the ultimate online gaming and entertainment experience.

Xbox Live Gold Membership:

Play your Xbox 360 multiplayer games online with the premiere online gaming service.
Use the brand new TrueSkill™ Matchmaking system to play against opponents with similar skills, personalities, and gaming tastes.
Give player feedback to rate your teammates and opponents on their sportsmanship, abilities, and conduct to influence matchmaking.
Play select original Xbox® games online (the Xbox 360 Hard Drive is required).
Get access to exclusive Gold Member content.
Engage in video chat.
Enjoy all the Xbox Live Silver features (below).
Xbox Live Silver Membership:

Go online free of charge.
Register a unique gamertag and set up your individual gamer card to keep track of your gaming accomplishments.
Engage in one-on-one Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) and chat with your friends via the Xbox 360 Headset.
Access Xbox Live Marketplace, download and view demos, trailers, and purchase classic and casual games over Xbox Live Arcade using Microsoft® Points.
Preview Xbox Live Gold during free weekend trials.
Download auto updates and free downloads for your Xbox 360 games.
Access Xbox Live Message Center where you can send and receive voice and text messages from other members.
Compare gaming stats and achievements against other Xbox Live members.
Use your friends list to see who's online.

Premium vs. Free
The most obvious difference between Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Live Silver is the cost. Every Xbox 360 owner has access to a free Xbox Live Silver Membership*; an Xbox Live Gold Membership allows access to the premium online gaming and entertainment service with superior features. An Xbox Live Gold Membership gives you all the goodies of Xbox Live Silver, plus online play and exclusive member advantages.

Xbox Live Silver is a great introduction to the ultimate online console experience that you get with Xbox Live Gold. Sign up for a free Xbox Live Silver account and get your feet wet. Everyone gets a complimentary 30-day trial of Xbox Live Gold just for signing up for an Xbox Live Silver account (limited time offer; limited number of free trials per system). It's a great opportunity to see what all the hoopla is about. Upgrade your account status to Xbox Live Gold from the comfort of your couch.

Article by Franklin Beans

There we have it. Looks like sony is kind of doing the same. I think they're heading towards the same direction.

sony did something like this in the past and it was modrately successful. it was called playstation underground and it was a disc they mailed out on a regular basis. this is not replacing the playstation store and anything, and they playstation store would not be a place for magazine type content anyway.

...and for all the people say 'ms does not charge blah blah blah', ms charges you just to play your games online, and sony still has free online play, so get over it.

This is from Xbox.com

There we have it. Looks like sony is kind of doing the same. I think they're heading towards the same direction.

"kind of doing" and "doing" are two subjectively different animals.

Lets see...
Console:
Get milked for online usage which allows you to use your own internet

Desktop:
DRM filled games and software you lisecense to use, dont dare lose the cdkey.

Great world we live in :D

Doesn't matter anyway... After Time Warner Cable charges you'll $1 for every GB you download over 5GB a month you won't be able to afford to get the magazine!

i wonder if you can get anal easy for 9.99$ to reduce the pain from the raping? that would bring the annual costs to 34.95$

I really don't understand all the bashing on the Sony end. I mean MS charges me 50 bucks a year for ptp online play and everytime I go to the live blade I see Dr. Pepper ads and shit, but Sony says hey we got this online mag coming out, you can pay for by episode or by yearly subscription if you WANT to.

It's like everybody's coming out of the woodwork to take a shot at Sony for this all while MS's dick's been up our ass for the last 2 years and we haven't noticed yet.:rolleyes:

I really don't understand all the bashing on the Sony end. I mean MS charges me 50 bucks a year for ptp online play and everytime I go to the live blade I see Dr. Pepper ads and shit, but Sony says hey we got this online mag coming out, you can pay for by episode or by yearly subscription if you WANT to.

It's like everybody's coming out of the woodwork to take a shot at Sony for this all while across the road MS's dick's been up our ass for the last 2 years and we haven't noticed it yet.:rolleyes:

I just think there's alot of stuff people could be bitching about and this one seems kinda low on the pole.

It's like everybody's coming out of the woodwork to take a shot at Sony for this all while MS's dick's been up our ass for the last 2 years and we haven't noticed yet.:rolleyes:

I have to agree.

Sure its no Xbox Live but im sure Sony has plans to turn this into a Xbox Live type service eventually. Like other people have mentioned, what makes this any more diffrent from IGN, Fileshack, and Filefront?

If the content is as feature rich as a good gaming magazine, but with interactive elements (demo's and beta access) then its a decent deal at $3 a pop (when compared with other gaming magazines in print format). video interviews with key developers and sony staff, plus some features on upcoming stuff we havent seen before would be nice.

My worry is the content wont be as good as it could be.

Xbox live is kinda different.. its not exactly a video magazine packaged up all nice...

i know its freaking unbelievable how everyone wants to bash Sony, MS whore's out XBL with ads even though we are paying for subscriptions, there are no ads on the PSN

Sony is just trying to give their customers some dimension to their service and for the first time ever they are charging a subscription for that service , as i have said and many other's have said, what is the difference between other online gaming subscriptions. None.

Xbox Live is currently 10x the service the PSN is because Xbox had a head start.

The only thing we really had on PSN was the downloadable content like demos and trailers and the pickin's are slim...now they'll charge for them.

Had they fully developed the PS Network to the fullest that it could be, if Home was out like it was supposed to be and demos and content were everywhere, I could see something like this. But the only thing they had going for it was "it was free."

So, and it's just my feeling, everything you put into Qore is something you are taking away from PSN and we barely have anything on PSN now as it is. :(

TANSTAFL

It was only a matter of time before Sony came up with some sort of recurring fee plan for their online service. Data centers suck up cash 24/7.

MSFT was a realist. They knew that in order to provide a slick, integrated online service that was sustainable a fee would need to levied beyond just the charge for the game.

There's a reason XBL is awesome and the Sony offering is a wanna-be that feels cobbled together as an after-thought. MSFT had/has a plan. Sony just wants to sell black boxes and has begrudgingly admitted that connectivity is important, this is why their online story feels so half-assed. Their heart just ain't in it.

Lets see...
Console:
Get milked for online usage which allows you to use your own internet

Desktop:
DRM filled games and software you lisecense to use, dont dare lose the cdkey.

Great world we live in :D

We're all living in America.Coca-Cola, sometimes war

I wouldn't mind paying for the odd issue to get guaranteed beta access to a game I wanted to try out.

Like Metal gear online? I don't preorder anything, and that clusterfuck of going through the JPN website to get enrolled? Right.

No.

I'd pay MS points or Sony dollars to easily beta test something that I was curious about. I'd love to try out Battlefield: Bad Company, and I'd pay 3 bucks to give it a shot. Instead, I have to preorder, because of the deal they have with gamestop, which I'm sure is some sort of marketing brainfart.

So I'll end up renting their game, and if I hate it, I'll be out 7 bucks, they haven't seen a dime, and I'm on to whatever else. The way Sony is going about it, at least its an upfront pocket pick.

I'd prefer the option, personally.

Hah! This is their way to try and gain revenue for online usage like XBox Live did. They should have just gone in that direction in the first place.

So, and it's just my feeling, everything you put into Qore is something you are taking away from PSN and we barely have anything on PSN now as it is. :(

Microsoft killed it with the 360 XBox Live service, nobody comes even close.

Nope Dont like it a bit.
The fact that PSN was free was one of the main reasons I bought a PS3
I am a PC gamer and there are few console games I care for.
Those that I do like are on the PS3.
I wont be paying for anything on PSN unless its a game.
For me the PS3 just lost a lot of "nice" features like exclusive movie and game previews.
Another reason Not to use my PS3

People you are NOT paying for an Xbox Live type service with Qore.... you are paying for an online magazine that happens to be delivered over the PSN network. Xbox Live and Qore are two completely different beast. There should be no comparison. I play $25 a year for EGM, and Maximum PC. Paying $25 a year for Qore seems 100% reasonable to me.

Well my concern comes whereas it's a "Sony" thing.

I do have a PS3 and I chose it over a 360. Both my bro's have 360s and for the most part they enjoy their multiplayer a hell of a lot more than I do because of XBL. However I've still got a wide range of PS/PS2 games that I enjoy playing and was a big factor in my decision.. anyway thats not the point.

Getting back to this online mag thing. The MAIN concern I have is that it will be Playstation bias.

Yes we can go into a tangent about how some printed mags are paid to give good reviews.. for the most part I can get a glimpse at a wide range of games and for different systems. It's multiplatform and geared towards selling or dissing the product.

Now unless someone lives under a rock with ONLY a PS3 and ONLY lives for Sony, then I would think that in order for this pay type service to work is for them to either pack a SHITLOAD of Sony/Playstation content or tap into not just this particular console.

I've subscribed to printed magazines as well as online type magazines before so $3 bucks doesn't sound too bad IF in fact it's got worthy articles, unbias reviews and good wholesome content.

Imagine reading an article about a game, at the same time being able to view a preview AND download the demo right then and there, I JUST might opt to preorder it. However if it's just going to give me a list of downloadable stuff that I can easily get free then I'll bypass it.

Getting back to this online mag thing. The MAIN concern I have is that it will be Playstation bias.

Many years ago, one of the head people at Nintendo said something to the effect of, "Of course Nintendo Power is just a big advertisement, we would give it away however people are stupid enough to buy it" :D

Xbox Live is currently 10x the service the PSN is because Xbox had a head start.

The only thing we really had on PSN was the downloadable content like demos and trailers and the pickin's are slim...now they'll charge for them.

Had they fully developed the PS Network to the fullest that it could be, if Home was out like it was supposed to be and demos and content were everywhere, I could see something like this. But the only thing they had going for it was "it was free."

Jesus, I lose faith in you as a hardocp news guy everytime you post. It's like you can't read or don't read or read what you want to read, and that goes for some other flamers on here as well.

I'm not a Sony fan boy, I love the 360 as much if not more than the PS3, but honestly it's rediculous how everyone continues to flame about something that they're adding as a service that you can leave or take.

Sony's not taking away games demos/video previews/movie trailers or dlc content people. Their adding a magazine with content focused material that is going to offer access to content that you would normally not get, have to pay for or sign up for online and hopefully get picked out of millions to beta a game etc.

The only thing right about your post Steve, is that Microsoft had a huge start with XBL and Sony doesn't have as much content available on PSN as Microsoft does on XBL, duh head starts do help.

Sony is catching up and improving their service everyday, it is free to play online and I only see things improving once home is released. I'd also rather see them push back the release of home, then release a broken product that people bitch about, is full of bugs and their patching every few days/weeks.

Besides, very little info is known, so why complain about something that is yet to be released and noone has experienced??? :mad:

/RANT OFF

Another PS3 vs 360 thread... Ya well, the PS3 has wifi built in! Hell my damn DS and PSP have wifi built in and MS was too cheap to not include it? MS did something great last gen, built in HDD and Sony had it optional. So Sony gets it right, includes a HD in every model and can upgrade to 250GB easily yet MS goes backwards and makes a HDD less system limiting developers because they can't count on someone having a HDD. RROD... etc.. etc.. etc.. Why on earth do any of you want a company/console fail? What's going to drive the other company to make a better product without competition? P.S. PS3 does a much better job from my experience streaming media from a PC, I don't have to go through a BS to play divx/xvid. PS3 is also MUCH quiter than the 360. I like the 360's controller more though. So that's my pointless 2 cents since everyone has their own opinion and i'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Back