Sony: "PS3 too cheap"

Tetrahedron:

Thanks for the FYI, but I'd like a link.

I'd also like to know how that was relevant to the point I made. :confused:

ppilot said:
'That is way too much money to spend on a console with a dvd player that will render all my other DVD's completely useless."
Just a small quote about Blu-Ray Players (Including the PS3)

" Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs.

"

More food for thought;

By the time the PS3 comes out, the X360 will likely have had a $100 price drop at least, putting their best package at $299.

You're a fool if you don't think that will make some sort of impact, especially with the games that Microsoft has been pimping to the E3 media.

K600 said:
More food for thought;

By the time the PS3 comes out, the X360 will likely have had a $100 price drop at least, putting their best package at $299.

You're a fool if you don't think that will make some sort of impact, especially with the games that Microsoft has been pimping to the E3 media.

true that

K600 said:
More food for thought;

That has bearing only if you're interested in what games they had to offer. I'm still meh with X360 games.

deathstar550 said:
Tetrahedron:

Thanks for the FYI, but I'd like a link.

I'd also like to know how that was relevant to the point I made. :confused:

http://www.licensing.philips.com/licensees/conditions/cd/

as you can see Phillips owns more of the CD patents, while yes there are some that are jointing owned (with SONY).

The relevance was not the most important issue, I was just making sure the right information was out in the open :) no worries, not trying to debunk or challenge you.

A $600 console just reminds me of the 3DO. 3DO was, in my opinion, the best console of it's time. Granted I didn't buy one until they had come down to about $300, but if I remember correctly, it started out at $750.

Sony is trying to use the clout they've built up since PSX, to impose their will on the entertainment industry. They're expecting people to buy the brand "PlayStation", regardless of whatever else is attached to it. And since they've put Blu-Ray into it, they will then go back to the movie production companies and quote "installed user base" for Blu-Ray players to try and negotiate them into using their technology. You can't blame Sony for trying to help out the other areas of their business with the one sector that is doing very well.

Sony is absolutely right in one way, people will pay for their system. Unfortunately, gamers have been setting a precedent, and continue to, saying that they are willing to pay for more. Look at collector's editions, booster packs, add-ons, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of consoles have an MSRP of $999 with games heading towards $70.

K600 said:
More food for thought;

You also have to take into consideration that PS2s are still selling really strongly considering they have been out for so long. And they will be no the shelves along with the 360 and PS3 come PS3 launch probably selling for $100 or less.

So if price is your biggest concern...buy a PS2=)

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
do you think a graphics update is really worth that much? how innovative is the PS3 again (in terms of features on the user end)?

um....i like many others here spend $300-$500 on a video card alone for our pc's just to get a "graphics update", so yeah, (being a HDTV owner with HDMI inputs)being able to get a complete gaming system with bluray support for $600 is a bargain really

Tetrahedron said:
http://www.licensing.philips.com/licensees/conditions/cd/

as you can see Phillips owns more of the CD patents, while yes there are some that are jointing owned (with SONY).

The relevance was not the most important issue, I was just making sure the right information was out in the open :)

Ah, never knew that. Thanks for the interesting tidbit... ;)

Tetrahedron said:
no worries, not trying to debunk or challenge you.

Not a problem. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything blaringly obvious...:D

K600 said:
More food for thought;

Good point.

Although I think if we look at low-price consoles and game pimping at E3, I think Wii actually stands ahead of the X360.
Maybe even PS2 as well... there were several very high-profile PS2 games at E3, and this is coming off of the current $129 price tag of the PS2. ;) Another price drop might come along once the PS3 hits shelves...

Something I just thought of - I'm putting Sony's PS3 in the same boat as Nintendo's N64.

SNES ruled, the PSX game out, and stole some of the clout - Nintendo came out with the N64 later, and was clearly superior - except the games cost more.

Who won that round? They've already stated the PS3 games will be MINIMUM $70. What will MGS4 come out priced at?

Xbox360 has been out longer, and will be working on 2nd generation titles when the PS3 launches - you will not see a massive difference between the two systems. Nintendo's Wii will give you something completely different.

Guys and gals, think about it. The people that can't spend much money, WILL by the cheaper system - A Wii.

The middle class will want bang for the buck - Xbox360 + Wii (this is my group ;))

The upper class will want to stick with what they spent the most for before (Sony !!!!!!s here, lol) and will pick up a PS3

The truly rich will buy them all, just so they can experience everything that is offered.

The Wii is going to outsell the other systems, simply because Nintendo has set it up as a 'Buy one of the other guys, and us, too!' system, with features and games not on EITHER other system.

Does it matter if 4 people have a PS3, 10 have an Xbox, and all 20 people on the block have a Wii? Who wins?

The guys taking big losses on their consoles, for market share, or the guy that actually turns a profit, and ends up outselling them both?

nobody_here said:
um....i like many others here spend $300-$500 on a video card alone for our pc's just to get a "graphics update", so yeah, (being a HDTV owner with HDMI inputs)being able to get a complete gaming system with bluray support for $600 is a bargain really
no. people who pay that much ARE a minority. most people have a 100 something card, or none at all.

Wait, where's the official announcement that PS3 games will be a minimum of $70?

And the N64 was not superior.

does everyone think MS will have a price drop for the 360? I'm not too sure.. especially since they're still going to beat the PS3 price by $100 as it stands. If they do drop the price, it would seem to me that they would only do that because they "fear" the market share that Sony will take away from them. Specifically, the gamers who are on the fence. The true Sony fans will buy the PS3 regardless of how much cheaper the 360 is.

heatsinker... the $70-80 price quote was just a guestimate by one of the game developer's exec.

deathstar550 said:
When was this announced?

EDIT: Whoops. Thanks ZeroH. ;)
There was a thread here linking to a news article that was a year old.

It was never announced.

ZeroH said:
The true Sony fans will buy the PS3 regardless of how much cheaper the 360 is.

There's a word for people like that. Seriously though, I've never really understood brand loyalty for something like a console. I go where the games I like are... If that's all three of them, so be it.

don't take my statement the wrong way.. i'm sure they will be buying it for of the next release of the games they played and loved on the PS2.. as well as it's potential for future games. I doubt anyone will blindly spend that kind of money just for the Sony name.

Tigerblade said:
I'll help you understand.

Let's look at Tomb Raider Legends. Lots of next gen niceness in that game. Folder size? Nearly 8Gb.... Now TRL is very very short, so if we translate an a-typical Metal Gear sized game with this kinda texture/lighting etc I think it's gonna be at least double what TRL is.....probably more.
Well, that's interesting because a little game called Oblivion is on 1 disc. And Oblivion is likely one of the largest games that will be out for quite a while.

Ludic said:
A $600 console just reminds me of the 3DO. 3DO was, in my opinion, the best console of it's time. Granted I didn't buy one until they had come down to about $300, but if I remember correctly, it started out at $750.

Sony is trying to use the clout they've built up since PSX, to impose their will on the entertainment industry. They're expecting people to buy the brand "PlayStation", regardless of whatever else is attached to it. And since they've put Blu-Ray into it, they will then go back to the movie production companies and quote "installed user base" for Blu-Ray players to try and negotiate them into using their technology. You can't blame Sony for trying to help out the other areas of their business with the one sector that is doing very well.

Sony is absolutely right in one way, people will pay for their system. Unfortunately, gamers have been setting a precedent, and continue to, saying that they are willing to pay for more. Look at collector's editions, booster packs, add-ons, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of consoles have an MSRP of $999 with games heading towards $70.

3DO was no one in the industry though, they were a newcomer, no brand loyalty, no reputation. Sony is the 800 lbs gorilla in the console market at the moment.

The exclusives are where it's at this gen. ;)

The diehard fans will follow the console that holds their favorite series hostage. :D

As for myself, I'm still deciding.

If Halo 3 and GoW win me over, it's going to be a X360.
If MGS4 and FFXIII win me over, it's going to be a PS3.
If Zelda and Mario win me over, it's going to be a Wii.

Choices, choices. :)

Firewall said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

Sorry, the people at sony have lost it. Thier arrogance is overwhelming. THey think they can slap the name playstation on a gaming console and charge whatever they want for it.

Sure, the fanatics will stand in line in front of best buy for 48 hours and pay $900 for that bundle, but most of the mainstream sure as hell won't.

This is all fine though, the less they sell, the sooner they will be forced to drop the price and then we all can have one.

Its funny, if Sony actually had a R and D department that was working overtime maybe I could see a higher price, but all they do now is rip off M$'s and Nintendo's ideas.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm failing to see what the problem is: the price is still the same.

ZeroH said:
The true Sony fans will buy the PS3 regardless of how much cheaper the 360 is.

Psychotext said:
There's a word for people like that. Seriously though, I've never really understood brand loyalty for something like a console. I go where the games I like are... If that's all three of them, so be it.

I think you are skewing it somewhat. True Sony fans will most lilely have a huge backlog of PSX and PS2 games, let alone the sequals to the games they play coming out on PS3. That's about the games.....not the machine.

From what I've seen of the 360 so far, I can play superior versions of cross platform games on my PC and the games that aren't on the PC are like, meh.... however, some of the games announced on PS3 that are exclusive to the machine ARE games I want to play, I'm sure there are millions like me. That's not !!!!!!ism, that's following games you want to play, which at the end of the day, is what it's all about.

It seems alot of ppl are spitting their dummies out over a theoritical scenario. Just buy the fockin machine that has the games you want, does it matter how much a 'rival' machine costs?

I really hope that Sony do follow MS's lead in one area and do a service as good as Live. Playing Tekken 6/Virtua Fighter 5 online would be awesome.

Talking of expensive consoles, I remember dropping £400 for a Sega Saturn on launch day.....playing Virtua Fighter for the first time at home was one of the best gaming experiences ever, couldn't beleive the difference over megacd/segacd. People have and will pay whatever the rate is for the console/games they want.

Tigerblade said:
I think you are skewing it somewhat. True Sony fans will most lilely have a huge backlog of PSX and PS2 games, let alone the sequals to the games they play coming out on PS3. That's about the games.....not the machine.

On that subject, is there any word about how PS3 backward compatibility is going to work? Last I heard they were doing it in software like MS, is this going to cause the same sorts of problems Microsoft has had?

Martyr said:
no. people who pay that much ARE a minority. most people have a 100 something card, or none at all.

look around at where you are, you are at the [H]ard Forums, one of the biggest enthusiast PC communities, while in society as a whole high end video card sales may be a small percentage, you have to put things in context of the audience

look at the sigs of most guys around here, including yourself, $300 + video cards are a norm around here, that's why i said "like most people here"

but if you want to look at it another way

standalone HDDVD drives are $500 right now, BluRay will be no cheaper no doubt, when the average consumer looks at a $600 BluRay player and a PS3 which is the latest in game technology and sports a BluRay player and is all geared towards big screen HDTV owners.........yeah......it's still a good deal

Doward said:
Something I just thought of - I'm putting Sony's PS3 in the same boat as Nintendo's N64.

SNES ruled, the PSX game out, and stole some of the clout - Nintendo came out with the N64 later, and was clearly superior - except the games cost more.

SNES was in a pretty solid position over the Genesis, but the SNES didn't have complete market dominance. The PSX completely took the market shortly after it was released, it was a complete change of regime within one generation. The N64 was also not clearly superior. The graphics on some games could sometimes look better, all in all they were pretty close, and the cartridges meant the larger games couldn't come out on N64.

They've already stated the PS3 games will be MINIMUM $70. What will MGS4 come out priced at?

No, they haven't stated the price for games at all yet, the $70 is some figure come up with by some analyst, the same people predicting the PS3 to launch at $800

Guys and gals, think about it. The people that can't spend much money, WILL by the cheaper system - A Wii.

The middle class will want bang for the buck - Xbox360 + Wii (this is my group ;))

The upper class will want to stick with what they spent the most for before (Sony !!!!!!s here, lol) and will pick up a PS3

The truly rich will buy them all, just so they can experience everything that is offered.

We are talking about differences of a few hundred bucks, not thousands, these are game consoles not cars or houses, don't think you can assign a console due to social demographics. I make $40,000 a year, so, I'd put myself on the bottom half of middle class, I plan on having all three, and it won't be a financial strain at all. Your only the rich will be able to afford the PS3 theory is bunk, $600 in the grand scheme of things is not much money.

The Wii is going to outsell the other systems, simply because Nintendo has set it up as a 'Buy one of the other guys, and us, too!' system, with features and games not on EITHER other system.

The Wii will probably sell better than the gamecube, after all, there does seem to be a lot of hype for this new controller, but that and the games back library are all that it has. Graphically it is only a marginal improvement over the gamecube, no HD support, no media center functionality, no HD, all it has is a cheap price, a unique input device, and some old games that may or may not draw most people. Nintendo has to get it right, if the remote turns out to be more gimicky than truly useful and fun, that could be a deathblow, also if they charge too much for the back library of old games, but those both have to be seen.

Still, no way the wii outsells the other two, Nintendo just does not have the reputation as a serious console company amongst most consumers anymore. I am sure Nintendo will make a profit on it however, as I think I read they will be selling them at a profit from the very beginning.

Psychotext said:
On that subject, is there any word about how PS3 backward compatibility is going to work? Last I heard they were doing it in software like MS, is this going to cause the same sorts of problems Microsoft has had?

I'm sure the PS2 runs PSX games through emulation so I'd assume it'd be the same. Not had any problems playing PSX games ona PS2 so maybe they have decent emulators running.

Tigerblade said:
I'm sure the PS2 runs PSX games through emulation so I'd assume it'd be the same. Not had any problems playing PSX games ona PS2 so maybe they have decent emulators running.

The I/O controller on the PS2 is the CPU from the PS1, all PS1 games on PS2 are done in hardware.

NulloModo said:
The I/O controller on the PS2 is the CPU from the PS1, all PS1 games on PS2 are done in hardware.

So this guy doesn't know what he is talking about then?

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will feature backwards compatibility for both PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games.

"PSone runs on the PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutaragi told Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

I don't know who is confused in that statement, but PS1 games are not emulated on the PS2. It's all hardware; that's why we have an extra wire when installing modchips and why it's such a PITA to get them to run on the HD.

Tigerblade said:
So this guy doesn't know what he is talking about then?

It wouldn't be the first time Kutaragi made a comment regarding hardware without actually understanding it...

I know I read that PS1 was done through hardware on PS2 somewhere, but google doesn't want to spit out the right links today, anyone who has something that states this, go ahead and post.

NulloModo said:
It wouldn't be the first time Kutaragi made a comment regarding hardware without actually understanding it...

I know I read that PS1 was done through hardware on PS2 somewhere, but google doesn't want to spit out the right links today, anyone who has something that states this, go ahead and post.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/4/26/3759
http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/details/ps2.htm
http://www.absolute-playstation.com/ps2_hardware/system_playstation2_tech.htm

Weren't there several PSX games that refused to run on the PS2? I remember the press made a big deal out of that when the PS2 launched... if the PS2 had the complete PSX hardware inside of it to run PSX games, then it's weird that there would be problems...

Maybe the PS2 used some kind of hybrid-software/hardware emulation system?

This is weird, because I also remember hearing that the PS2 used hardware to run PSX games. :confused:

Tigerblade said:

hence my other post..

ZeroH said:
don't take my statement the wrong way.. i'm sure they will be buying it for of the next release of the games they played and loved on the PS2.. as well as it's potential for future games. I doubt anyone will blindly spend that kind of money just for the Sony name.

;)

Back