Sony Slims PS3 Line In Japan

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony announced today that it would discontinue the original PS3 (both the 20GB and 60GB versions) in Japan in favor of the newer, less expensive 40GB version.

Unlike the two original versions, which were launched in November 2006, the newest PS3 model does not play games designed for the PlayStation 2, has two high-speed USB ports instead of four and has no super audio CD system.

They should have stuck with more USB ports, you can never have enough of them.

I dont think Sony cant compete with the Wii cause they are totally different "designed" systems. So they shouldnt be all worried to compete with Nintendo.

This is good. The lower the price the better it appeals to the market. I just wonder how low they go down on the price.

I dont think Sony cant compete with the Wii cause they are totally different "designed" systems. So they shouldnt be all worried to compete with Nintendo.

This is good. The lower the price the better it appeals to the market. I just wonder how low they go down on the price.

So is the XBox 360, so they should worry about MS either?

Come on, Sony is losing and losing big time. Just because Nintendo took a different approach does not mean they are not competitors and the losing one does not need to worry.

Oh, and I own a PS3, so no crying about being a fanboy of the Wii.

Is this the one that can't play PS2 games? Why would they take something like that out? I have dozens of games and if my PS2 dies, I would much rather have a 3 than buying another one.

I thought all PS3s had software PS2 emulation. Did they take that out, too?

Is this the one that can't play PS2 games? Why would they take something like that out? I have dozens of games and if my PS2 dies, I would much rather have a 3 than buying another one.

did you read the first post...

they would take something like that away because not everyone owned a PS2 or has any games, me for example, i would buy a slimmed down version, and this is why they took that out, i am sure it took up some room for the hardware to make it backwards compatible and lower cosrs

There is still some hardware that is needed which, in the US it has on the 80gb but not the 40gb, this is what help generate a cheaper PS3 and started people to buy them.

I see this as also a way for Sony to lower the price of BD players. I think Sony has kept pressure on stand-alone BD player prices so a cheaper player wouldn't cut into it's PS3 sales. If they could get the PS3 down into the $300 range, then it wouldn't matter as much what a stand-alone BD player costs because it probably wouldn't cut into PS3 sales.

After all sonys pissing and whining about the 360 not supporting all games with backwards compatability theyre now totally ditching it? LOL :D

If future PS3s don't have this option, then I'll either buy one now (HA!) or never own one at all. Since this is the move Sony is going, hopefully they will bring it back in the future, but that is unlikely.

I myself don't like saying the PS3 is getting cheaper. Sure the price on the box changes, but so does the contents.

They aren't really lowering the price of any parts, they are just removing stuff and still charging the same per part. Took out hardware to play PS1 and PS2 games and replaced it with software + put a smaller harddrive into the system and the price went down some. Then they removed some of the USB ports, card readers, and the software to make play PS1 and PS2 games, and put a smaller HD into it again and the price price of the entire system went down again due to them not having to buy all that stuff.

What they are saleing is not the same thing as they started with. Its like the Hummer line. A Hummer and a Hummer 3 are nowhere near the same thing. They just keep taking stuff away and changing the name and selling it cheaper. At this point it shouldn't be called the PS3, it should be called the PS 2.8 or something to indicate that is is not at the same level as the orginal model.

forget to put this above

If future PS3s don't have this option, then I'll either buy one now (HA!) or never own one at all. Since this is the move Sony is going, hopefully they will bring it back in the future, but that is unlikely.

I wouldn't expect them to do so. They had said before that they were getting rid of it to try to get people to play PS3 games as a lot of people were still buying PS2 game to play on their PS3s, so their hope was that by removing this feature people would be "forced" into only being able to buy PS3 games.

2 problems with that logic is that some companies are making games for the Wii, Xbox360 and PS2 instead of moving up to the PS3. Thus there is no choice for some games but to buy them for the PS2. Second problem is that most people probably already own a PS2 and will just hook up both to play PS2 games. So they really aren't doing much to "force" people into playing PS3 games.

The PS2 is still selling like hotcakes, they've made a calculated choice and are going with it.

I thought this thread was about slimming the PS3 box... like the PS2 Slim. Boy was I mistaken...and disappointed. :(

Then they removed some of the USB ports, card readers, and the software to make play PS1 and PS2 games, and put a smaller HD into it again and the price price of the entire system went down again due to them not having to buy all that stuff.
The 40GB PS3 can still play PS1 games, but not PS2 games.

Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction. I thought that dropped, both. Not that PS1 really matters much nowadays, but it is nice to see one more featue not drop off.

okay i think sonys retarded even tho i still buy there game systems, i think they should stop screwing around making things smaller and stuff and try and produce a good looking game that can actually "Show off the power of the ps3" and still be a great game.

No different to the UK 40GB that is the only SKU now over here for the PS3, which has been available since October 07. Looks like Sony are slimming down the SKU's to a worldwide standard & the USA will be next to get this.

Look on the bright side though, at least you will not be paying the equivalent of $600 USD for the 40GB version as it is in the UK.

So is the XBox 360, so they should worry about MS either?

Come on, Sony is losing and losing big time. Just because Nintendo took a different approach does not mean they are not competitors and the losing one does not need to worry.

Oh, and I own a PS3, so no crying about being a fanboy of the Wii.

Im talking about Japan.

The only way they would compete with Nintendo is to redesign Sony's system back before the Wii launch. So basically they cant be #1 in Japan and NA. So they need to refocus competing with Microsoft. From what I seen from the charts, the sales of the PS3 is half way catching up to Xbox 360 and thats really good even with complication they had.

Sony will eventually catch up in the market, but wont be 2nd place until probably end of 2012 (NA).

Back