Sorry, but I must be Slow :-(

Garret Jax

Limp Gawd
A 42" LCD TV with 8 ms response time, 1920x1080 resolution, DVI/HDMI/HDCP inputs costs $1300 USD delivered.

A 26" LCD Monitor with 5 ms response time, 1920 x 1200 resolution, DVI/HDCP (no HDMI) inputs costs $1020 USD delivered.

Obviously, these are just examples, but in general, LCD TVs are WAY cheaper than LCD monitors for a given screen size. Both classes sport 1080i/p resolutions or better, and HDCP and DVI inputs.

So when I upgrade my monitor this Summer - for PC Applications and PC Gaming, why would I not buy an LCD TV, such as the 42" above (or maybe a little smaller - that's HUGE).

I AM SLOW AND I DON'T GET IT.

Please explain.

Thanks!
-Garret Jax

The Planar uses an S-IPS panel, which is the most expensive, highest quality panel type available.

I asked that question before :)

The reason is: Resolution.
TV sets usually do not support higher than 1024x768, while even crappier LCD monitors support 1680x1050.

Even 1080p TV sets are not optimized for PC, so ghosting ...etc. would kill it. Text would appear really bad too, even with high resolution TV 1080p.

EDIT:
I just checked your 1080p link, and looks like reviews are not bad.
But I woul still be worried, as 1080p is not a standard gaming resolution, so you need to run your games at non-native resolution.

On the other hand, maybe it is a good option :)

Note that going from 1080 resolution to 1200 is a BIG deal, so the 1200 resolution monitor is far superior, speciallt at 42" size.

42" size can show you pixels so big, even at 1080p, I imagine :)

You have to understand what 1920X1080 means. It really means 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. That 26” monitor has the same amount of pixels as a 42” monitor. Guess how big the pixel block size is of the 42” monitor compared to the 26”. They are huge and blocky and no one can change that. It is a physical and mathematical reality that no one can change. They may say it is not bad but is sure not good. A lot of people live with it to have a huge screen for gaming.

I'm sitting roughly 2.5 feet fro my 37" Westy. Each of these letters that I'm typing are roughly half a centimeter tall. The individual pixels are not noticable until I stick my head roughly 6-8 inches from the screen. If it means anything to you, I use to run a 19" CRT at 1600x1200 and had no issues whatsoever using it (most people would find such a resolution far, far too high and text far to small). My Inspiron 6400 is currently running 1680x1050 on a 15.4" screen. I love tight, sharp text, but I have absolutely zero complaints using this resolution on a 37" screen. It looks absolutely gorgeous. There is no ghosting while gaming. A majority of PC games support wide screen formats--albeit a good portion of them require a small ini hack or other work around (see www.widescreengamingforum.com for solutions and information on just about every PC game under the sun). If you're interested in using a nice 1080p television as a PC monitor, definitely do some research before buying, but none of the reasons listed so far really amount to anything in my opinion.

yea just get the westy before the deal runs out this weekend online, for $800 you can't go wrong, especialy since you can always return it to costco for a full refund!

My 22" CRT does 2048x1536 but I'm going to give this a shot anyways, lower resolution or not...

Does anyone here know anyone who actually went back to an LCD monitor as their preferred display after owning something like the Westinghouse 37W3, Sharp LC32GP1U, etc? I haven't been able to find a single post.

That's why I went for it. There is nothing more wonderful than a giant display. I use it for everything. I agree a 30" LCD monitor would be vastly superior for image editing with it's higher resolution and superior colors, but you can't touch the big screens for their multifunction ability and just sheer size factor. One gaming session is all it seems to take to sell anyone on one.

The Planar uses an S-IPS panel, which is the most expensive, highest quality panel type available.
What S-IPS panel is rated at 5ms? I thought the fastest was the AS-IPS used in NEC 20WMGX2 rated at 6ms gtg. In other words...are you sure that monitor uses S-IPS?;)

MrMike, go to the AVForum and you will see a lot of people that have returned these big screens especially the Sharp models.

I missed the best advice to give. I totally agree for you to go and find a place that will let you see text on the screen preferably from the web.

In other words...are you sure that monitor uses S-IPS?;)

You'll catch me saying S-IPS on monitors that are actually labelled as AS-IPS, H-IPS and A-TW-IPS. I say S-IPS for convenience, because it is what people know, and because the newer IPS technologies barely improve over S-IPS.

So don't you ever, ever question me again. Got that??! :D

I want a screen size of 26" - 30" - no more, no less.

It sounds like in that range, a 1080i/p LCD TV with a fast response time would be perfect for PC gaming and movies.

Unfortunately, it looks like 1080i/p monitors under 30" are hard to come by, and I won't buy this online because I would be REAL pissed if I had dead pixels and couldn't return the monitor/TV.

I might have to settle for a 24" LCD monitor. I was really hoping to get a 26" :-(

I want a screen size of 26" - 30" - no more, no less.

It sounds like in that range, a 1080i/p LCD TV with a fast response time would be perfect for PC gaming and movies.

Unfortunately, it looks like 1080i/p monitors under 30" are hard to come by, and I won't buy this online because I would be REAL pissed if I had dead pixels and couldn't return the monitor/TV.

I might have to settle for a 24" LCD monitor. I was really hoping to get a 26" :-(

Your clear choices: 24"-26"monitor, 30" Dell monitor, 37" westy tv.

Does anyone here know anyone who actually went back to an LCD monitor as their preferred display after owning something like the Westinghouse 37W3, Sharp LC32GP1U, etc? I haven't been able to find a single post.

That's why I went for it. There is nothing more wonderful than a giant display. I use it for everything. I agree a 30" LCD monitor would be vastly superior for image editing with it's higher resolution and superior colors, but you can't touch the big screens for their multifunction ability and just sheer size factor. One gaming session is all it seems to take to sell anyone on one.

I went back to a LCD after having a Westy. Sure it is nice, but I don't like looking at pixels as big as my head. You obviously don't do editing work for pay on this thing. Not to mention you are stretching a low res across that huge thing, which makes size moot for me.

THe reason a LCD TV is more reasonable is because it is easier to make a larger panel with HD res, it is much more difficult to make a smaller panel with that same res.

Back