sound card or usb DAC for ~$100

I just got a pair of HD598 headphones and now i find the onboard reltek sound lacking.

I do switch between using the headphones and a cheap pair of desktop speakers for when other family members use the computer. With the current setup that just means unplugging the headset, which is nice.

So for around $100 should I be looking at a sound card or an external DAC?

I'm sort of partial to going with an external DAC so I can have a hardware volume control.

If you're willing to wait. FiiO's E17 just came out and will run about $140. For a little less:
Desktop use only look at the E10 (~$75) or if you need portable E7 (~$85)/iBasso d-zero(~$100). Mike from Headfonia has some comprehensive reviews on all of these and how they affect the sound.

get an external DAC over a sound card if headphones are your biggest concern.

an aftermarket sound card has more input and output options than onboard sound can offer, though it doesn't seem like that matters to you.

an external DAC will offer better sound for your high-end headphones and likely have a quality headphone amp to drive your cans to the fullest.

Last edited:
Games or music? For music, USB DAC, but for games I'd probably lean toward a sound card that supports Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D (or the THX equivalent).

If you have a bestbuy nearby it might be worth checking to see if they have any sound cards. I was at my local bestbuy yesterday and they had a couple of X-fi titaniums for $60. You can't go wrong at that price.

You can also get a Pyle e7 which I'm pretty sure is just a rebranded FiiO e7 for $60 from Amazon. It is made by fiio, I'm not sure if there are any differences or not though.

Back