Sound Card/Speakers - Gaming

Dawgdoc

Limp Gawd
Heya guys. Let me start by saying I am an audio n00blet. Im a very knowledgable all around computer guy, subzero bencher, and build a ton of systems over the past 2 years but I am very very weak on sound technology.

What are some good recommendations for a sound card and speakers for a game that really requires good sound?

Im currently playing Darkfall (no comments regarding the game please either good or bad - dont want to sidetrack) and sound is IMPERATIVE. I need to hear minute sounds off in the distance (people mining, swimming, etc....)

Current I have a SB Audigy sound card:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=873&product=14189&listby=

And some cheap ass $15 speakers.

I will be running in game sound through speakers, or sometimes headphones. I also run vent every time I play.

Will there be any improvements in upgrading that sound card?

Stick with SB? Go to Auzen?

How are the Logitech X-540 speakers?
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=us,en

I have what I think are a really good set of headphones but I cant recall the brand. They are not USB but gold plugs that connect to either your sound card or front panel audio.

The system in question is running Vista Ultimate and I have heard there are some sound related issues with gold plug sound devices?

To be complete, the rig in question is as follows
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
CPU: E8600 (running 4.4ghz stable)
Mem: 4 x 2 GB Mushkin PC2-8500
GPU: GTX 285
PSU: Corsair HX620W

All custom water cooled and purrs like a kitten. The only exception is the 'meh' sound. I dont mind spending a few $$$ but am not interested in dropping alot of cash into this either.

Input appreciated and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

1. Are you opposed to non-powered speakers hooked up to a receiver?
2. How big is the room and how big are the entryways?
3. How loud do you plan on operating these?
4. What do you want: 2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc?

I'm not mentioning the audio card yet because right now we need to know financially what you want to spend, as that will determine if there would be any gains from a better card.

1. Non powered speakers hooked up to a receiver? TBH Im not sure I understand the setup that you describe. If I can fit it under my desk jammed back with all of the other wires and crap then no...I prob dont have a problem with it :)

2. Room is 20' x 20' Im guessing. Open floorplan though with 2 large entrances cut out of the walls that are like 10' by 8' wide. Im not looking to host a rock concert in here man Ive got a wife and kids and play in the wee hours of the morning. Im sure the acoustics of the room play a larger role than I typically expected but just please keep that in mind with any recommendations you may make :)

3. See #2. As loud as I can without waking up someone down the hall (errr 40' or so) in a room with a closed door. There is no music (I hate music in video games personally I want to hear the sound effects) but there are the voices from vent, and whatever ambient sounds/effects are in the game. The game has all kinds of swords/attk and magic sounds.

4. I claim n00blet blissful ignorance again. Ive obviously seen the terms but really dont understand what they mean.

2.0 is 2 small speakers with no base?
2.1 is 2 small speakers with 1 base?

etc.... That about right?

Financially.....if I need an upgrade and speakers I would like to keep this under $200 if possible. I wasnt anticipating a big expense but if to get something decent it is going to cost more I may need to consider it and make a purchase in the future instead of right now.

PS - This is the headset Im currently using (when I bother to use a headset). Its definitely much much better than the speakers with regards to detecting smaller sounds and overall quality.

Thanks for the reply!

http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=ahs602

Well, there's 2 types of speakers: Powered and non-powered. The powered ones normally come as a 2.0 setup. Meaning Left and Right channel. Powered speakers don't require an external amplifier since they have one built-in. In the other hand, there are non-powered speakers. This normally come in any combination possible, from 2.0 to even 7.1 (7 speakers, 1 subwoofer). For those non-powered speakers you need something to power them to work, since a sound card doesn't provide that power, and that's where a Receiver comes in. A receiver allows you to hook the speakers to them, and give them power to work. They also give you extra features like digital decoding, or sound enhancing features, but that's not the point here.

As far as running them loud, no worry, you can run almost any speakers really loud as long as you keep the doors closed. The problem starts when you run a subwoofer to high. Subwoofers don't sound loud, but they vibrate walls, and the sound tends to travel walls. It's not loud at all, it just takes longer to dissipate the sound.

For $200 I think 2.1 or 2.0 is a better choice, with powered speakers. They are specially good for music since music is Stereo (2.0). However, movies are 5.1 but they can sound fine in 2.0 speakers.

As far as recommendations, alot of people lately seem to have their eyes on M-Audio AV 40. I have not tried them myself, but people seem to love them. They are really hard to find too, they are sold out in almost every retailer. That's the only place I saw them in stock.

Ok, hope that helps.

Well, there's 2 types of speakers: Powered and non-powered. The powered ones normally come as a 2.0 setup. Meaning Left and Right channel. Powered speakers don't require an external amplifier since they have one built-in. In the other hand, there are non-powered speakers. This normally come in any combination possible, from 2.0 to even 7.1 (7 speakers, 1 subwoofer). For those non-powered speakers you need something to power them to work, since a sound card doesn't provide that power, and that's where a Receiver comes in. A receiver allows you to hook the speakers to them, and give them power to work. They also give you extra features like digital decoding, or sound enhancing features, but that's not the point here.

As far as running them loud, no worry, you can run almost any speakers really loud as long as you keep the doors closed. The problem starts when you run a subwoofer to high. Subwoofers don't sound loud, but they vibrate walls, and the sound tends to travel walls. It's not loud at all, it just takes longer to dissipate the sound.

For $200 I think 2.1 or 2.0 is a better choice, with powered speakers. They are specially good for music since music is Stereo (2.0). However, movies are 5.1 but they can sound fine in 2.0 speakers.

As far as recommendations, alot of people lately seem to have their eyes on M-Audio AV 40. I have not tried them myself, but people seem to love them. They are really hard to find too, they are sold out in almost every retailer. That's the only place I saw them in stock.

Ok, hope that helps.

OP: The constraint is the $200. Given that, I agree with the recommendation of Odin75. You'll be getting a powered 2.0 setup. I have read this twice, and really all I can add is that you'll be fine with your current sound card for this setup.

I haven't experienced the M-Audio units, so I can't really give a recommendation yes or no. I have heard good things about Swans units, but can't personally recommend because of not hearing them myself. I'm an Energy fan, but they don't make anything that will fit your need of a powered speaker setup.

x540's are great, i mean for 100bucks, they're awesome for 50bucks(what i got em for) and i'm sure a savvy shopper could find em for 70bucks with free shipping or something. Nice discreet 5.1 on a realtek 5.1 on board sound.

Is it the best? heck no, but it works My gf is able to hear surround sound from games, and dvds, has a nice matrix mode to use all the speakers and the control pod even has on/off and sub control. Seems to be one of the few 5.1 setups to fit your budget.

I'd suggest get some cheap ol xfi(a good xfi at least) for under 100, search the x540's for around 70 and thats your budget right there.

If you ever decide to get better 5.1(which would be at least 3x/4x the price) you won't really have to upgrade your soundcard, especially if your an admitted non audiophile(like i am)

but be warned, even a non audiophile like myself can tell the difference between cheap ol onboard sound and a good xfi.

Back