Sound Card that works well in vista 64

elektronisch

2[H]4U
So my m-audio 5.1 is a pile of garbage as it lacks all aspects of vista 64 bit support. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I need to replace this sound card with something that has pretty good driver support. The card will be used for movies, music, and gaming in a logitech 5.1 setting and really sennheiser headphones.

Thanks for any directions anyone can point me in.

On the side note, does anyone want this m-audio 5.1 on the cheap :)

I had no problems with my X-Fi XtremeMusic in Vista64...you might want to try out the new Asus Xonar cards, they have been getting really good reviews.

nty on the revolution ... Via envy-based cards can be good (Chaintech AV-710), but not this one.

Anyway, just checked HT Omega's site and they appear to have drivers for Vista 32/64 ... their lineup is the Striker (around $85), Claro (around $160) and Claro+ (around $175)

There's the Asus Xonar ... the D2 (PCI) ($180) has beta drivers for Vista 64 and I would imagine the PCI-E version ($200) and DX (PCI-E - no "emi shield" $90) does too ... check the Asus forum re: problems with nForce mobo - supposedly BIOS update is coming?

And there's Auzentech - their site seems to have a handle on Vista 64 drivers and finally Razer Barracuda. Don't know about them.

I don't own any of these cards myself, I'm still using an XtremeGamer. That said, I am saving my pennies for a good card - I'm thinking maybe the Claro+ Really wanted an X-Meridian but the only person I found selling one wanted $200 for it :(

My XFI Extreme music that was in my other computer, before it mobo died. worked just fine in vista.

And then my main PC Prelude also works just fine in vista. I not having problems so far.

X-Fi is a crapshoot as far as whether or not it works, it's up to you to decide if it's worth the time you might have to take to troubleshoot it. :)

No problems with my Xonar D2X thus far.

My Xonar D2 works perfectly thus far with Vista 64, just tested it will EAX enabled in Bioshock and sounds awesome.

Thanks everyone for your feed back! Now I just have to read some reviews and make my decision.

And for the record, please stay FAR away from m-audio as their driver support is pretty much non-existent. In my 15 years of working with computers, this is definitely up there are the worst companies I ever dealt with! Reminds me of the old ATI with Linux support; the hardware is fantastic but the drivers don't allow you to utilize the card.

Back