Sound Question

ImNoGod

Limp Gawd
How do i turn the sound off, in oblivion. I can slide all the bars down, so i can't hear it. But i want to turn it OFF so my sound chip doesn't process it.

mdameron said:
Why?

You could always just disable your sound card...?

And why?

I don't have a sound card. I have a chip that is located on my motherboard. Therefore, my cpu has to do the work to produce the sound.

I don't have any speakers or headphones at the moment, so i don't want to waste my precious Frames Per Second. :D

If I recall, there's a cvar contained in a CFG in your Oblivion save game directory (which lies under the My Documents tree). It's a fairly obvious cvar, so skim through the CFG, find it, and change it.

You can disable onboard sound in the BIOS.

Let us know if there is any improvement, will ya?

phide said:
If I recall, there's a cvar contained in a CFG in your Oblivion save game directory (which lies under the My Documents tree). It's a fairly obvious cvar, so skim through the CFG, find it, and change it.

I'll try to do this.

mdameron said:
You can disable onboard sound in the BIOS.

Let us know if there is any improvement, will ya?

If the above fails, I will do this.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Excellent!

Fraps, reports an Average of 4 FPS higher.

What is even better is this. When i used to over clock, after the 3.02 ghz mark (a mere 200mhz overclock) my sound would crackle. All my sound would be choppy beyond belief. My computer would become very slow, and start to crash. Now that i have disabled the audio, i am running at 3.2ghz, fine. Strange, very strange.

I'm now running Prime 95 to see if this is stable.

not really, your chipset was sending power to a unit that doesn't need it anymore. Now other parts get enough volts. Make sense to me, hell, I've NEVER used onboard, I tried when I had the Soundstorm board, but that died after about a month, and I dove into the Head-Fi world.

ImNoGod said:
Excellent!

Fraps, reports an Average of 4 FPS higher.

What is even better is this. When i used to over clock, after the 3.02 ghz mark (a mere 200mhz overclock) my sound would crackle. All my sound would be choppy beyond belief. My computer would become very slow, and start to crash. Now that i have disabled the audio, i am running at 3.2ghz, fine. Strange, very strange.

I'm now running Prime 95 to see if this is stable.

Carckling with overclocking usually means PCI bandwidth issues and has only been cured by hacking PCI timings, BIOS flashes or turning on high precision event timing (on Uli Chipset southbridges that have it).

Prime 95 failed after a couple of minutes.
BBA said:
Carckling with overclocking usually means PCI bandwidth issues and has only been cured by hacking PCI timings, BIOS flashes or turning on high precision event timing (on Uli Chipset southbridges that have it).
Interesting. Can you explain this in more depth?

you overclocked just a little bit and it messed up your sound... just downclock and use the sound as you don't make much of a gain OC'ing anyway. Your soundcard is onboard it wouldnt be affected by PCI timings.

hardc0re said:
you overclocked just a little bit and it messed up your sound... just downclock and use the sound as you don't make much of a gain OC'ing anyway. Your soundcard is onboard it wouldnt be affected by PCI timings.

Unless it's using a PCIe interconnect, which I don't know of any that do yet, it does indeed use the PCI bus. PCI isn't limited to the slots. In fact on AGP systems the IDE controller, network controller, sound device, and USB/Firewire were all on a PCI bus.

hardc0re said:
would be nice if he posted his specs...

As i said, after i reach above 3.025 ghz my sound starts to get skippy, sort of crackling. My computer then becomes very slow and crashes.

2.8ghz is the default speed of my processor.

Found your problem.

You're running 3:4 divider on your ram. You're also running a weird combination of sticks. (is that 3 sticks?)

And it looks mixed between pc2700 and pc3200.

You won't OC worth a damn like that...

mdameron said:
Found your problem.

You're running 3:4 divider on your ram. You're also running a weird combination of sticks. (is that 3 sticks?)

And it looks mixed between pc2700 and pc3200.

You won't OC worth a damn like that...

It's two sticks.

1x1024 pc(3200)
1x512 pc(2700)

I don't know how to change the divider to 1:1. The option is locked in the BIOS

Edit: I have also removed the 512 stick before and the same thing happens to me when I over clock.

Which means you have a lower FSB and you're not destroying your RAM like I first thought.

What is your question now?

Google for some overclocking guides for your Northwood. It sounds as though you have a clusterfuck of settings that you just fiddlefucked with and now nothing runs right. I can't help cause I have no idea what you did. We also have an overclocking forum.

You have an eMachines W4885 don't you?

That is the only 2.8/400/512 chip I've heard of. Both it and the motherboard (VG-33) don't overclock worth a damn. I've owned one and I have one besdie me waiting to be picked up. Neither one will overclock much if at all. I don't think the 845GE itself is known to be an avid overclocker since it's only a 400/533 FSB capable budget chipset. Not to mention that the onboard graphics it has is never really disabled, just removed from the device table.

ryan_975 said:
You have an eMachines W4885 don't you?

That is the only 2.8/400/512 chip I've heard of. Both it and the motherboard (VG-33) don't overclock worth a damn. I've owned one and I have one besdie me waiting to be picked up. Neither one will overclock much if at all. I don't think the 845GE itself is known to be an avid overclocker since it's only a 400/533 FSB capable budget chipset. Not to mention that the onboard graphics it has is never really disabled, just removed from the device table.

It is an emachine. A T4892.

I haven't really fiddled with the settings any. The bios is locked so i overclock with clockgen.

ImNoGod said:
It is an emachine. A T4892.

I haven't really fiddled with the settings any. The bios is locked so i overclock with clockgen.

oops, sorry I forgot that eMachines has multple model numbers for tha same computer.

At any rate, it's the same exact motherboard. Is the BIOS version IEX413N? FIC has an IEX42 version that isn't as locked down. You'll lose the eMachines boot logo though. And there's another "modded" version that unhide a lot of other options. However, like I said that CPU is an older revision Northwood from the earlier 2.0-2.4/400 line and is more or less at it's limit already. I could get 2.9 max on mine and this one sitting beside me won't boot at anything over stock 2.8.

ryan_975 said:
oops, sorry I forgot that eMachines has multple model numbers for tha same computer.

At any rate, it's the same exact motherboard. Is the BIOS version IEX413N? FIC has an IEX42 version that isn't as locked down. You'll lose the eMachines boot logo though. And there's another "modded" version that unhide a lot of other options. However, like I said that CPU is an older revision Northwood from the earlier 2.0-2.4/400 line and is more or less at it's limit already. I could get 2.9 max on mine and this one sitting beside me won't boot at anything over stock 2.8.

Where can i see my current bios version?

When you're computer is starting up you should be alble to hit DEL while the eMachines logo is up. That'll let you into the BIOS's setup routine. On the main page it should tell you what the version is. Also I believe the motherboard page of CPU-Z will tell you as well.

EDIT: You've got IEX421EM. So don't know what it's all about. All I've ever heard of was IEX413N (by eMachines) and IEX42 (by FIC).

Northwood OC very nicely when you feed them properly. My 3.2C hums along happily at 3.7 on-air w/ a hefty SI-120. Mobo is of course, the IC7-G, with 2x1GB of Corsair XMS. (I like keeping CAS2.5 and faster).

New mobo + some decent DDR1 OC'ing RAM will give you an easy OC, if your chip isn't an absolutely horrid overclocker. Almost all 2.4Cs hit 3.0+ on the stock Intel cooler...

When you're computer is starting up you should be alble to hit DEL while the eMachines logo is up. That'll let you into the BIOS's setup routine. On the main page it should tell you what the version is. Also I believe the motherboard page of CPU-Z will tell you as well.

EDIT: You've got IEX421EM. So don't know what it's all about. All I've ever heard of was IEX413N (by eMachines) and IEX42 (by FIC).

So how do i go about flashing.

I have the newer version downloaded.

I don't have a sound card. I have a chip that is located on my motherboard. Therefore, my cpu has to do the work to produce the sound.

While I realize you've already found a way around your dilema, I thought I should point out that whether or not your sound comes from a physical card or an onboard chip, it can still be disabled within Windows.

It still uses a driver and will appear as a device in the Device Manager. Right-click and choose Disable.

So how do i go about flashing.

I have the newer version downloaded.

I also do not have a floppy drive. Just my dvd rom drive, and my cd rom drive. How do i do this flash?

While I realize you've already found a way around your dilema, I thought I should point out that whether or not your sound comes from a physical card or an onboard chip, it can still be disabled within Windows.

It still uses a driver and will appear as a device in the Device Manager. Right-click and choose Disable.

Thank you, this is certainly easier then disabling the sound in the bios.

Back