Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Bass Redirection?

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
Hi all - I've got the sound card in title and have recently brought a new AVR and sound system. However, I am unable to get subwoofer playback with MP3s and other stereo sources. Games and movies all have full 5.1 surround.

Apparently a setting called Bass Redirection resolves this on other creative cards, but I cannot find a similar setting with the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure it will be available for stereo analogue out because that card is stereo only for analogue.
But that probably isnt right if feeding stereo through digital 5.1 to an AVR.
I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, I dont have a creative card to test any more.

The alternative method (which is how I use my sub) is to feed the sub from the speaker stereo outputs and set the front speakers to full range.
Set up the sub so it starts rolling bass on at the freq your speakers bass rolls off.

Or use your AV system to route bass to the sub.

It would help if you said how it is connected.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it will be available for stereo analogue out because that card is stereo only for analogue.
But that probably isnt right if feeding stereo through digital 5.1 to an AVR.
I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, I dont have a creative card to test any more.

The alternative method (which is how I use my sub) is to feed the sub from the speaker stereo outputs and set the front speakers to full range.
Set up the sub so it starts rolling bass on at the freq your speakers bass rolls off.

Or use your AV system to route bass to the sub.

It would help if you said how it is connected.

Problem fixed... Switched to the onboard Realtek sound on the motherboard. Turned on "Enable Bass Management" ... Looks like it's time to give up the Creative card :p

FYI, need to disable "Full range speakers" to enable the sub in stereo playback.. Will need to test movies and games next to make sure I didn't lose any quality.

EDIT: Didn't need to disable full range. Was a speaker config issue... Sounding fucking epic now :D

Last edited:
For the X-Fi, you have to go through the Windows playback device config and un-check the full-range speaker option and then bass re-direction works. Alternately, in the THX Setup Console, under Bass Management, you can click on the speaker in the diagram and it will toggle small/large, which will affect bass re-direction.

For the X-Fi, you have to go through the Windows playback device config and un-check the full-range speaker option and then bass re-direction works. Alternately, in the THX Setup Console, under Bass Management, you can click on the speaker in the diagram and it will toggle small/large, which will affect bass re-direction.

Doesn't seem to be the case for the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. The THX Setup Console isn't supported on that card. Enabling and disabling full-range speakers in the windows sound control panel had no effect. Happy to stick with onboard for the moment.

Join the dark side and switch to HDMI. No audio problems ever again :D

Have to admit I've been considering it! Will grab another HDMI cable and give it a trial run. I do like the idea of being fully analog however and have also been considering getting a Sound Blaster Z to replace my X-Fi.

There's zero advantage to "fully analog" as long as whatever you're feeding that HDMI signal to has a decent DAC. Any mid range or better receiver should be able to match if not exceed what Creative can do.

Now, if you're feeding older equipment... getting that initial conversion really clean is very important.

Thankfully, any modern (and by that I mean P67 and newer -- so not modern at all, really) motherboard that was built to a reasonable standard should be able to output very clean audio at or below 50% volume. So long as you aren't over-working the usually weak onboard amps, you're fine.

OP, I think you would be better off simply feeding your receiver with a stereo signal for music and letting your receiver handle the bass management, rather than trying to do it via a sound card control panel.

Any mid range or better receiver should be able to match if not exceed what Creative can do.

Do you have any actual data to support this claim, or is this just wild speculation on your part? I know for a fact that the DAC on higher-end creative cards tend to be VERY good. Of course, you can always run optical or coax S/PDIF to a receiver or external DAC, which would still allow you to use all of the sound card's features even if you are no longer using the sound card's DAC. It doesn't have to be either/or, and there is nothing special about HDMI vs older digital connections when it comes to stereo playback.

Thanks for the feedback. Audio has never been one of my technical strong points so all this info is really helpful. I've decided to stick with analog and have ordered a Sound Blaster Z. After doing a bit of research, it ticks all the boxes for what I am wanting to accomplish.

Back