Soundcard and Headphone Recommendation

maverick0817

Limp Gawd
I am trying to decide between a X-FI Titanium HD and a SoundBlaster ZXR.
The HD is currently $100 at amazon. Is the ZXR worth the extra $150? I am also looking for a recommendation on headphones in the $200 range. Their primary use will be gaming, with occasionally listening to music. I will also be using them with my receiver for movies and console games. The receiver is a pioneer elite 52. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll get a nice USB-DAC/Headphone amp with nice set of cans. but since you are using a receiver, Ill try to get atleast an HRT MusicStreamer II. For the headphones, Its really your choice lots of good gems out there for $200-$300.

This is what I currently have just to share. AKG Q701 Headphones, Jolida Tube DAC II & Schiit Lyr

img20130108030135.jpg

Good Luck on your search!

I'm actually considering to get the 551 as a portable since It has a mic I can use it with my phone, It is basically the same as the 550. I like em because its closed, It wont bother anyone at work that much.

Let me know how are they if you get them.

Thanks!

I am trying to decide between a X-FI Titanium HD and a SoundBlaster ZXR.
The HD is currently $100 at amazon. Is the ZXR worth the extra $150? I am also looking for a recommendation on headphones in the $200 range. Their primary use will be gaming, with occasionally listening to music. I will also be using them with my receiver for movies and console games. The receiver is a pioneer elite 52. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you buy the titanium HD, you'll also want a headphone amp for the best music fidelity. It's your call, but I feel the ZXR is a better overall card - it includes a headphone amp while the Titanium HD doesn't, and the SBX surround positional audio is excellent. I went from a titanium HD and am now using the ZX -- i've been extremely impressed with the ZX. I intend to get a ZXR as soon it becomes available.

Music on the ZX is extremely, extremely impressive. The best part is that using SBX surround doesn't interfere with music fidelity at all - all other soundcards i've tried, it was best to turn 3d positional audio off for everything except movies and games. So far I haven't found that to be the case with the ZX.

edit: The ZX is also worth considering, it also includes a 600ohm headphone amplifier, although it isn't advertised on CL's website - it is listed on the box I have. The cost difference for the ZXR may not be worth it, but the ZX is a solid choice.

Last edited:
Back