SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

This thread is probably hardly read by anyone at this point, but it must be a testament to the perceived quality of the Soyo monitor that so many people would care so much to keep the darn thing working.

I bought my monitor 4 1/2 years ago at Office Max, then about 2 years ago I did the Taobao upgraded power supply fix.

In recent weeks after a couple of hours the monitor would suddenly momentarily show strange colors as if one of the RGB channels was dropping out. Then last week from time to time there would be horizontal streaks flashing on the screen. The streaks gradually became more common, and finally a few nights ago I sighed and decided to crack open the case once again. I hoped that if it was a mechanical connection then I might be able to just disconnect and reconnect all the internal cables and all would be well.

Well, I did that, but in addition I noticed a smallish aluminum panel screwed to the bottom of the display. Underneath were a half-dozen chips, and curiously it looked like some of them had heatsink compound on them, mating them with a gooey heatsink material on the aluminum plate. But some of the chips were not covered at all with compound. Hmmm. Could they be dried out and getting too hot? I put on fresh compound, buttoned everything up, and so far the monitor is as stable as a rock. The lack of heatsink compound could have been the issue, or maybe it was a poor contact in one of the connectors, but once again the monitor is performing great.

I do note, however, a slight burn-in. Curiously it appears only in the upper part of the screen. I wonder if some LCD goo of some sort is slowly migrating down to the bottom.
Does replacing the PSU get rid of the buzzing noise common with this model Soyo? Or is that noise generated by a different component?

There's a particular brightness level in which the buzzing noise goes away (slightly different on each Soyo I've used), but that level is way too bright for my eyes.

Also, does anyone know which is the newer version of the supply?
The one with the black, open heat sinks:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13316553786&cm_cat=0&pm1=1&source=dou

or the one with the two silver "bridge" sinks:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5825510319&cm_cat=0&pm1=2
(this is the one that failed in mine.)

The first link is dead but from your description the first one sounds like the newer version. The second link is still live and it is the old version. Would you PM me if you find any of the newer version for sale? It would save me the hassle of doing a DIY supply. Thanks.

I seem to recall that the replacement power supply I bought from Taobao (for about $20!) a few years ago was labeled "Rev 311." The monitor has been used for 8 hours a day for the past 2 years with that new power supply. The old supply ran so hot you couldn't touch the heatsink for several minutes after it was powered down. I don't know how hot the newer one runs.

Never heard any buzzing sound with this monitor. I'm running it at brightness of 35, contrast of 70, RGB of 35/35/36. The monitor has also been calibrated with the HueyPro, and looks terrific to this day.

I have 6 of these, 4 are still working perfectly. 1 died and yer it was the power supply. It was apparent that it got too hot. Another is on its way out so it is not used. I would like to get about 3-4 of these power supplies as it is cheaper than trying to replace 1920*1200 monitors nowadays.

ALSO, I was reading else where about people taking off the anti-glare coating on their LCD panels and decided to give it a try on the SOYO that had died. WOW it came off perfectly and now I am going to let it dry out for a few days. These will really look nice with a glossy screen. I have a few other monitors I am going to do this to also, glossy looks so crisp. All the time I thought this was a part of the glass, not a plastic coating.

Forget taobaogle.com. I tried to order from them, and the site did a 1-1 conversion from CNY to USD! (order canceled)

I did some research, and found some recommendations for TaobaoRing.com
I ordered two from them, and it's gone very smoothly so far.
I specified the items, They emailed be back with the price to purchase them ($19.01 for two).
Once they arrive at their warehouse, then I pay again for shipping to the US.

Also, does anyone know which is the newer version of the supply?
The one with the black, open heat sinks:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13316553786&cm_cat=0&pm1=1&source=dou

or the one with the two silver "bridge" sinks:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5825510319&cm_cat=0&pm1=2
(this is the one that failed in mine.)

Hi guys! Remember me selling my power supply awhile back? I thought I wouldn't miss it if it dies, but it actually died earlier today and I think I miss it. It looks like it has no power coming to it at all. The Power On button doesn't turn it ON at all now. So I'm gonna ask to see if anyone has any late info on where I can get a replacement power supply? I tried TaobaoRing.com but it seems they sell clothes only. The other site shows everything in Chinese and I can't read!

Edited/Added: Just took out the power supply from my dead monitor and it looks exactly like the one on the second link. Even the part # is the same. Did mine come with the good revision power supply originally? I'm not sure now. But it's dead, and I'm not sure if it's the power supply or the LCD.

Last edited:
* SOLD *

I have a NOT WORKING SOYO Topaz S 24" Widescreen MVA Panel 6ms, 500 nits LCD Monitor DYLM24D6 for sale. This monitor refuses to power up for whatever reason. Maybe someone can fix it, or use it for parts. I have No idea what is wrong with it. Below are few pix. PM me if anyone is interested.

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02397.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, if anyone wants one, I'm finally letting go of my Soyo monitor power supply unit. Also, my little boy scratched my monitor, so I'm very sad and mad now, I just want to sell it. I don't feel like keeping it beyond its PSU failing point (if it goes that far). The scratch is not deep, about 2.5 inches and in the middle of the screen. No dead pixels, that's for sure.
Do you still have the power supply and scratched Soyo Topaz monitor. I am interested in both.

Richard Caldwell
[email protected]

I got hopeful that someone found a source for some new PSUs. Mine's sitting under my desk at the moment. Thankfully, I've got a couple of backups, but I'm missing my 3rd (formerly main) monitor something fierce.

Did some more digging on internet forums. I've got a working monitor now. BOO YA!

Go to englishtaobao.com

search for this listing: http://www.tbcart.com/Product/16827900394/Great+Wall+M24E14+LCD+power+supply+Board

Buy one (or however many you need). My total cost came out to $43.30. It took a couple of weeks to arrive after I placed my initial order, but it came today. Excuse the final image, my snowy background wasn't picked up well by my droid x.

http://imgur.com/a/lKES6

Thanks to those in this forum for all of the info I used to find this PSU, and to those of you who find this info useful, you're welcome. I wish you the best!

Still wish I'd never sold this thing. Best monitor deal ever. Shame the PSU is such crap, but at $20 every couple years, not really that big a deal...

Still wish I'd never sold this thing. Best monitor deal ever. Shame the PSU is such crap, but at $20 every couple years, not really that big a deal...

Is it really that good? All the ones I've used make a buzzing noise (varies with brightness), and I've had a heck of a time calibrating it with my X-Rite i1Display2 Pro. The color curve looks pretty bad compared to other IPS (including 6-bit eIPS) monitors I've calibrated, and I get a complete dropoff in black detail unless I have the brightness cranked up to eye-sear levels.

Here's a screenshot of my Eye-One Match screen after calibration. Has anyone gotten better results?

2012_05_29_021814.png

S-PVA is going to have some black crush,yes, but tradeoff is you don't have IPS glow....

Also never had any buzzing issues.

What's the going value for one of these Soyo's these days? Mine has an 11, 2007 manufacture date on it. No buzzing and looks fantastic. I really haven't used it at all in the last year...it's been sitting in my closet.

E

I wished I couldve jumped all over this monitor when it was selling for $250 a few years ago.

I wished I couldve jumped all over this monitor when it was selling for $250 a few years ago.

The Dell U2412HM isn't far off in price when on sale. 6-bit eIPS vs. this Soyo's 8-bit S-PVA.

Last edited:
Had an 'Oh Sh*t' moment working on my 2nd Soyo panel this past weekend, and ended up with this:

Soyoribbon.jpg

I'm assuming this is a catastrophic failure and is not fixable. Also, I can't find any similar ribbon cables in the parts pile donor LCDs as well. I was really looking forward to a dual display setup with these two monsters, but it is not going to happen.

I can't quite tell what happened? Is your cable messed up? Hmmm!!! I took the anti-glare coating off of my SOYO that blew out its' power supply. If you are willing to part with it.............PM me.

I think these would look amazing without that coating I just need a way to verify my thoughts on that prospect.

I can't quite tell what happened? Is your cable messed up?
The right side of the ribbon cable has a tear about a half inch in length in it. Part with it ?? Hell no ... I wouldn't think of it. I picked up a replacement PSU for the above one, and while that one was in transit I came across another one that works for the most part. I had hoped to be greedy and run both, but the torn ribbon cable dashed those hopes.

Where did you get the PSU? I need a couple of them(at least) myself. I have 6 of these. One of them I took apart after the PSU died and took off the antiglare coating. Four of them are working with no issue, 1 of them has a PSU that is about to go out I almost bought one a couple of years ago brand new in the box for $150 but it was about 200 miles away(Craigslist listing). So I would like to get my hands on some PSU to insure the future working of these monitors, 1920*1200 monitors are hard to find now days for a good price.

My symptoms are that if I turn the monitor off then when I try to turn it on again, it sometimes only flashes on for in instant, then the screen goes dark.

If I fiddle with the connection and turn it on and off repeatedly it eventually magically starts working again, but I am worried that my monitor might be dying.

Is this a power supply issue? Can I buy the replacement and save my monitor?

Sounds like a typical power supply issue with any number of LCD monitors. More than likely, youre wiggling of certain connectors is not the cause behind the monitor eventually turning on. I would surely look into replacing the PSU. Do note, others here have found a way to use a 24V (mind if it's AC or DC!) power brick from a printer to do the job of powering the backlight.

Sounds like a typical power supply issue with any number of LCD monitors. More than likely, youre wiggling of certain connectors is not the cause behind the monitor eventually turning on. I would surely look into replacing the PSU. Do note, others here have found a way to use a 24V (mind if it's AC or DC!) power brick from a printer to do the job of powering the backlight.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree the things I did to "fix" the problem didn't seem to actually do anything. It just decided to turn back on on its own, eventually.

I'll try to search around for the best solution(s). Any links or tips are appreciated. Especially anything that will save me the 40 bucks of buying a power card from china.

If this monitor weren't so awesome I'd probably just replace it without thinking.

Are there any sort of generic fixes for monitors with bad power supplies, besides of course simply replacing the monitor with the correct power board?

I have two dead NEC LCD2190s here, with basically the same symptoms as described for the soyo. Mine would sometimes start up, sometimes not... early on I thought I was perhaps doing something to get it working, but figured out it had little to do with whatever I was doing. Now I just get about 1 second of startup, then right to black.

Is there a way to easily wire a printer power supply, or laptop supply, or something similar and get that to work? Even though my monitors are already dead, I'd rather not have them burst into flames due to an incorrect power supply being used.

Sadly my SOYO died yesterday complete with the screen flashing on and off and the clicking. Does anyone have a link for a replacement power supply? I tried buying from TBcart, but their paypal option isn't working.

I'm quoting a PM that I've sent out here, and also at SD and Anand, but it gets asked enough to post it in the main thread:

I did in fact get my PSU via EnglishTaobao, but its quite a hassle, so I will clue you in to the problem.

The biggest issue is the false auctions that crop up advertising this PSU with quantities of anywhere from 70+ to 999+. They are quite clearly lying on those quantities. I ordered 4 total PSUs and received a grand total of 1 .. yep .. ONE !!

The other three, a day after ordering, I received an email from the agent saying they were out of stock on that item (even when the quantity was set at 70+). To make matters even worse, they held my paypal amount as a 'credit' without refunding me !!

I was able to buy from a seller who had a quantity of one, and used my 'held' $70 payment to order one. Note that the PSUs are only selling for $12-$24, but the shipping overseas is at LEAST $30 on top of that. Heed my advice on this and order EMS air for shipping (8-10 days), not the slow boat shipping that runs 30-45 days.

Here is a link to the EnglishTaobao listings for the keyword M24E14:

http://www.englishtaobao.com/taobao?...M24E14&catId=0

The first link is a quantity of 158, the second a quantity of 14. Note that the pictures used for these PSUs are almost always the same re-used pic, as the sellers seem to be running a scam wherein you buy a PSU and accept the slow shipping, and by the time you realize you aren't getting a PSU via the slow boat shipping its outside of the 45 day window to have Paypal refund your transaction.

The third link, here http://www.englishtaobao.com/product...r+supply+Board is for a quantity of 1, and I'd be looking at this one as a legit sale of the PSU you need. Now, the only downside to a quantity of 1 sale is anyone looking to buy one is going to buy it first before you get it, and then your money is hopefully refunded rather than held. It really is a crapshoot, and I still have $25 tied up in their damn system as an 'available balance'.
* note that my links in the above copy n paste date back almost 2 months ago, and make infact be invalid. Nevertheless, the search term to use still holds true - M24E14

I just did a search using my above links and neither is showing any links to the M24E14, so assume that many of these bogus auctions have now been cleaned up. I still consider 75% of the supposed M24E14 PSU auctions to be scams on that website, but you do occasionally show up and are legit buys, but you really have no choice at this point if you really want a working Soyo PSU.

Thanks for the info. TBcart emailed me back with some other payment option that was sketchy at best. Oh well, guess I'll cut my losses. It was a great run Topaz. Thanks for the memories.:cool:

I've got a lightly used working Soyo Topaz 24" with the PVA panel I'd be willing to sell.

Interesting to see that this thread is still going after all this time .

I still have a working unit , but Ive already replaced the psu once with another original out of a unit that had a a broken screen done by a family member .

Ive gone to a larger lcd since the Soyo and no longer really use the Soyo except as maybe a back-up unit , but before I went with a newer/larger unit my Soyo was doing some weird blinking out on rare occasions . Ive used the Soyo on another pc , and have not encounterd the blinking out since .

In any event , it will be interesting to see how "Old Man" fairs with the new psu . So with that said , Iam still keeping my eye on this tread . Best of luck Old Man .. :)

I really am amazed that this thread is still going. Mine started `blinking' a week or two ago and finally completely died today. =( I opened it up to take a look and there are three buldging caps in the power supply. The fuse itself looks ok, but I haven't tested it to make sure. I ordered a `Repair Kit' from LCDalternatives on eBay, which hopefully will get it going again. It's had a pretty good run really, manufacture date is July 2007! =)

Anyway, I'm also interested in seeing how Old Man fares with the power supply. Unfortunately his link comes up with 0 available now, so I can't just order the same one. =(

Bahh. Got the shipment today. They sent me the wrong power supply. False hope. :(

Dang, I'm sorry to hear you got gipped. Do you have pics of the wrong one they sent you? Could help others avoid the incorrect PSU. I wound up going the Jameco triple output route and will be busting out the soldering iron on Friday. I looked and looked for a replacement from China, but after asking a Taobao direct guy a ton of questions, it just seemed too hit or miss. I actually found a listing for a replacement, then the Taobao direct guy told me that the picture in the listing was not the actual item being sold. He sent me a picture of a PSU that would *not* have worked without some serious modification. Morale of the story: Ask loads of questions before pulling the trigger. :/

Well guys, the new replacement monitor for those having SOYO woes is the Nixeus Vue27. It is a 27" 2560*1440 beast for $450 with a US supplier and you can get them from Amazon or Comp-U-Plus. I have 6 Soyo's, 4 are working perfectly 1 is on its way out so I have not used it. The one that died I have taken the AG coating off of it and am waiting when I have some time to put it into one of the working cases.

I bought a Nixeus and love it. I am planning to get at least 2 more. It has an IPS screen so you will not be losing any quality. It connects to your computer via HDMI, DisplayPort, Dual Link DVI or VGA. It is HDCP compatible. They are Grade A panels so no dead pixels on mine. Nixeus Vue27 is the new Soyo Topaz and then some in my opinion.

They are backordered until October right now but you can pre-order. I am still looking for some power supplies for my Soyo's to fix the ones that are dead/dying and spares for the future. IN the mean time I will buy Nixeus because their price will be going up to $500. Lets face it they can sell all they can make at the current price because the big boys gouging days are over.

http://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Resolu...-VUE27/dp/B008M08SN6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.nixeus.com/products/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since you're still getting a Brand X from a Tier X retailer might as well get a Korean model

Back