SP120s clicking while mounted horizontal?

Strategy

Limp Gawd
Not sure what the issue is here, they are mounted on top of an alphacool 240mm ST30 rad, at 100% they are fine but as soon as I drop to ~80% or lower they start clicking. I had another set of these that I RMAd back to amazon because I thought they were bad, brand new set is doing the same thing.

I have 5 total in the case and the 3 vertical mounted ones are fine on the controller.

Should I look at a different kind of fan for horizontal mounting? I see a lot of people using the SP120s vertically and googling doesn't turn up much info.

Had that issue as well. Anything lower than 100% and they would start clicking. Replaced them with gt ap15's (rip) and a set of these recently.

If you run your fans in pull, then e-loops are not for you (better suited for push). Performance and noise is very comparable to ap15's from my experience.

Did you use an NZXT fan controller by chance? Found something else that the controller is causing it even though the noise is coming from the fan. Going to return it and try out the bitfenix or another controller instead.

So far the only fans I've ever used horizontally mounted that give me the performance I need and a reliably low sound profile are Noctua. Their SSO bearings really are amazing, you just have to get over the horrid color scheme. I only recently heard about their IndustrialPPC black color line, and haven't tried any yet. For the size you need, I would go with their NF-S12A fans, and if you ever go up to a 280mm rad their NF-A14 fans are great too.

So far the only fans I've ever used horizontally mounted that give me the performance I need and a reliably low sound profile are Noctua. Their SSO bearings really are amazing, you just have to get over the horrid color scheme. I only recently heard about their IndustrialPPC black color line, and haven't tried any yet. For the size you need, I would go with their NF-S12A fans, and if you ever go up to a 280mm rad their NF-A14 fans are great too.

Yeah the color is fugly, but honestly at this point I don't even care, the clicking of these SP120s on top is driving me insane.

Just wondering If I should return all of my SP120s and just go full noctuas.

edit: Wouldnt the NF-F12's be better for a radiator?

Last edited:
Ended up replacing all of my SP120s with NF-F12s, holy shit what a difference. These things are absolutely silent while still performing the same or better than the SP120s.

^^ Yeah, Noctuas are the only ones that I have found audibly pleasant to deal with, especially when undervolted. Never had any clicking issues either with them.

Back