Space games/simulations

thekipper

Limp Gawd
Hi,
Any recommendations for something similar to Wing Commander/Privateer/X-Wing vsTie-Fighter/Freelancer?

Also, how is Sins of a Solar Empire/Galactic Civilations 2?

Was perusing those during the steam sale but didn't commit.

Thanks!

Freelancer: Discovery Mod :)
We run a server if you need somewhere to play it.

Sins of a Solar Empire - Excellent, definitely get it.

Well if you are willing to wait. . .Star Citizen.

I enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire but it isn't in the same class as the Homeworld series or Freelancer.

If you are going from Freelancer and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter to X-3, be careful, X-3 has a learning curve. Also, I was a Freelancer fanatic and didn't really like X-3. May give it another try at some point, but I dunno. They are quite different space games.

As for Sins of a Solar Empire, it's a space RTS. But it is a blast to play.

The X series is probably the best thing (short of the upcoming Star Citizen). Big learning curve though, but there are threads here for more info.

There aren't too many games in this genre these days. Give Freelancer (as recommended) a try. There are some others (Darkstar, Evochron Mercenaries, etc) that you can try. Other threads on the forums here will contain other suggestions. Personally, none of these games lived up to my expectations.

i know its not what you are looking for but Kerbal Space Program is good and

for the hardcore check out Orbiter 2006 (lol looks like its called 2010 now, been a while).

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

i really spent quite a bit of time in Orbiter and it was a great simulator, know its hard core simulator though.. there are some great tutorials and the first time you actually get into orbit and then perform a burn to orbit the moon or mars, you'll be hooked for a while :)

I absolutely love the open-world type space sims.
- Sundog: Frozen Legacy started it all for me.
- Privateer came along and that kicked so much ass.
- X-Wing Alliance was pretty fun if you want a Privateer-esque experience in the Star Wars setting.
- Freelancer was bestowed upon us and I really liked the game and still play it from time to time. Unfortunately, there were many things that Digital Anvil was rumoured/planning/working to incorporate such as more ships, ship mods and weapons, commodities, broader NPC dialogue, job missions, story missions, star systems, and even new sectors containing even more star systems before they ran short of money, allowing Microsoft to step in and then scaled back the project.

Star Citizen looks to be pretty bad ass! This is the first I've heard of it. I might just have to contribute to that project.

Strike Suit Zero + Infinity + DLC. Basic space shooter that was Kickstarted recently. It was on sale for $6 with all the DLC just a few days ago.

Freelancer: Discovery Mod :)
We run a server if you need somewhere to play it.

Sins of a Solar Empire - Excellent, definitely get it.

How many people do you have on the server? I might just have to break out Freelancer again until Star Citizen is released. Unless I can finally get over the learning curve in X3

Star Citizen looks to be pretty bad ass! This is the first I've heard of it. I might just have to contribute to that project.

Look through the forum threads about it(The thread with everyone's purchases to be exact) and find out who has original backer status before dropping money. They can gift ships for less money than you can currently get although you will still miss some of the stuff. Not sure if someone with veteran status can give you any bonuses still. I will have to look. Wish I had heard of it soon enough to get original backer status but veteran isnt too shabby :)

Wing Commander Saga stand-alone mod based on Freespace 2 engine is really good.

Last edited:
Those are some cool suggestions. Star Citizen....wow.

I'm gonna grab a copy of Freelancer and try that along with X3 and Freespace 2 modded.

This genre is really lacking.

How many people do you have on the server? I might just have to break out Freelancer again until Star Citizen is released.

Not many, 0-3, I think 5 is the most I have ever seen on it. There were 2 reasons I put up a server, so I could hop on and screw around until Star Citizen comes out, and the second, so I don't have to put up with gay rules on all the other servers.

Also, I don't wipe characters after inactivity like every other server. I got tired of having to start fresh every couple of months if I didn't log in for over a month lol

It's actually hosted off of my GSP, End of Reality, so it's not just on my desktop. Just look for the server named The Gank Squad. Send me a PM too if you want me to give you some starter funds.

That game looks....really difficult.

As difficult as you want to make it. Any controller type can be used, myself I prefer joystick, some guys play mouse/kb, gamepads, and track IR is supported.
This is what space combat in X-3 should have been like.

Bit of a necro, but it seems that space sims have really taken off in the last year. In related news, I'm elated that my old MMO, Jumpgate is now available, completely free! If other space games were able to copy the Newtonian physics JG had, they would have been successful. I suggest anybody interested in playing a free space sim to give JG a try. If you do, let me know, and I can give you a hand learning how to play.

Some other games that might interest you:
Eterium
Maia
No Man's Sky
...and many others (such as Elite and SC). This doesn't even include the 4X games. I'm at work, so I can't post too much. I'm hoping others can post games in development, as it's easy for people to not learn of great titles being developed or are released.

Solar Winds and Solar Winds 2, now those are some 90's games!

Maia doesn't count, it's merely a tech demo at this time.

I have played all these games to feed my need for a good space simulator and I have to say Im sad no one has mentions. Nexus: the jupiter incident...

It's an oldie but the graphics are pretty good and I have to say this game really took care of me.

Starfleet I on the old Commodore back in the day...loved that game. There was a PC clone of it made called EGA-Trek which was great fun. There was a group of people working on a complete rehash/remastered edition of Startfleet I with "modern" graphics, but I think that project ceased progressing a long time ago...too bad.

If there were to be any remakes, these would be what I'd love to see with updated graphics, textures, models, effects, etc:

* Wing Commander/Privateer series

* Star Wars X-Wing/Tie Fighter/Alliance series

* Freelancer (game world expanded to what DA's original goals were that I highlighted in my previous post)

Put them on Steam and I'd buy every single one of them.

+1 for Evochron Mercenary

I have Star Citizen AC, and really I find myself preferring Evo atm. SC has some potential...I wish I could afford to try Elite Dangerous Beta. That looks really good to me.

Evochron might not have the graphics..but it's got so much to check out and it continually improves + cheap.

I also gotta say +1 to Freespace 2 + Freespace 2 Open and Wing Commander Saga for excellent super cheap and free options. They're fun for the arcade action... Evochron is more sim style...and is a fun challenge..MP is solid, seamless everything within the game world is epic and adds something no other game like this has ever done even in 2014! And Evhochron's been doing it for years and years.

Homeworld series...and looking forward to the remastered version's release. No specific date yet. Making the originals work is worth the effort if you still have the discs.

Sins is good but is no Homeworld yet has decent combat, GalCiv2 is pretty damn cool, SotS is cool but different, Planetary Annihilation is fun as hell, epic yet needs more space action, Star Wars Empire @ War is a classic that is still fun...Distant Worlds is epic...a steeper learning curve but it's worth it..I still suck but it's one of a kind imho.

Back