Space Station Computers Partially Repaired

HardOCP News

[H] News
After failing the day before, Russian computers that control the international space station's orientation and oxygen, water supplies, are partly working again.

Flight controllers in Moscow were able to re-establish some communication with the computers overnight, and Russian engineers were working Thursday to restore the rest of the system, NASA space station flight director Holly Ridings said.

Ah. Good ol' Russian technology. Not as reliable, but all you have to do is hit it hard to make it work again. ;)

We wish they were made in Taiwan... even they are being run over by cheap Chinese crap.

Not being one to start wars, I'll simply say... its good to see Liberty University engineers have been hard at work at NASA these last few years. Faith based science really is the best science.

Maybe now they can dump the 8088's and upgrade to Pentium I's? :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Blows my mind how we could be at the hundreds of billions mark with that tin can floating in space... and we can't even get reliable computers up there.

Well, I could introduce you to the policies of Rep.... er nevermind, no politics allowed.

Smart people would design the computer structure to allow incremental improvements...ummm... upgrades, as technology increased. I really dont think there were any 8088's left ont he Starship Enterprise :eek: :p :D

I think they "upgraded" that over time. :eek:

It boogles the mind that most [H] readers have computers more powerful than the ENTIRE computing power of the space station.

And, it's only $15 BILLION up there.... so far. The project is pretty cheap actually. About 3 Space shuttles worth so far.

But hey, Fearless leader wants on the moon in 2012... he wants to be the first president to put a man on the moon!!!! To visit the man in the moon :cool:

Then he will take the war on terror to those friggin Martians!!!! :mad:

Well, I could introduce you to the policies of Rep.... er nevermind, no politics allowed.

Smart people would design the computer structure to allow incremental improvements...ummm... upgrades, as technology increased. I really dont think there were any 8088's left ont he Starship Enterprise :eek: :p :D

It boogles the mind that most [H] readers have computers more powerful than the ENTIRE computing power of the space station.

And, it's only $15 BILLION up there.... so far. The project is pretty cheap actually. About 3 Space shuttles worth so far.

But hey, Fearless leader wants on the moon in 2012... he wants to be the first president to put a man on the moon!!!! To visit the man in the moon :cool:

most of us wish he would just go to the moon

Correct me if I'm wrong, they spend 10 billion on the paper work for the stationa and so far $17 billion on the station itself... thats $27 billion. Transportation fees are expected to be valued at 15 - 20 billion to make the station possible.... plus adding any work to suppor the current operations. Final budget was set at 100 billlion.

The costs to a shuttle is far more deeper than just the plane (if you want to call it that) itself. The current shuttle fleet has a invested value of 145 billion (thats only a few shuttles), + 1.3 billion per launch.

Yes, I agree it would have been a smarter thing to have scalable and upgradable systems up there.... having this type of downtime is downright embarasing... hell i bet you their email servers on ground has less downtime.

Bush wants to be the first to establish a base on the moon... a man already has been on the moon before.

computer doesn't have to be very complex to keep an object in correct orbit. Heck a Ti-83 can do that. The more Sophisticated a computer is, the more things that can go wrong with it.

computer doesn't have to be very complex to keep an object in correct orbit. Heck a Ti-83 can do that. The more Sophisticated a computer is, the more things that can go wrong with it.

from what I read, there are actually 6 computers & they're all broken - so most likely a software problem...or firmware on i/o.. or power issue.. or .. hell I'm glad it not my neck on the line ;)

Gotta remember though, when it comes to aerospace / military applications, they would rather have technology that'll survive radiation in space, high G-stresses, etc, rather than upgrading to the latest & greatest. The process they use for making radiation hardended processors is pretty damn expensive...I think the "fastest" right now is a ~500MHz PPC that costs $250,000 a pop, but it's guaranteed to survive radiation in space (no electrons colliding and giving you incorrect info).

Back