Spanish Police Website hit by Anonymous Hackers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who didn't see this one coming? Well, besides the Spanish police department, did anyone else not see this one coming? :D

The website of Spain's national police force has been briefly knocked offline by hacker collective Anonymous. The attack on the site was carried out in retaliation for the arrest of three Spanish men the police claimed were 'core' members of the group.

Nothing screams "yes they are guilty and are Anonymous members. Oops did we say that out loud?" better than hacking their web site.

The way they're structured means there's no core group, but the fact that there's an active group with their own server is enough to qualify them as a cell.

And considering the information based nature of hacking, there's bound to be something there that can be used to trace other cells or individual units if they do it right.

has anyone even started to work out how they are hacking in? are they going in through vulerabilities etc?

Why don't these idiots hit something useful... like all the banks that destroyed our economy and raped trillions from taxpayers? Now that would be something I would stand up and applaud.

Why don't these idiots hit something useful... like all the banks that destroyed our economy and raped trillions from taxpayers? Now that would be something I would stand up and applaud.
Sure, until you can't get your money out.

Anonymous is squandering their folk-hero status.

Nothing screams "yes they are guilty and are Anonymous members. Oops did we say that out loud?" better than hacking their web site.

This is probably going to encourage those 3 arrested suspect to start spilling all the beans ;)

The part that makes this silly is that they don't seem to realize they are little more than an annoyance.

The Spanish National Police probably don't like the fact that their webpage was hacked, but does it prevent them from doing their work, and arresting more people? Not that I'm aware of. :rolleyes:

The picture in the article is hilarious, For a minute I thought it was from a Pink Panther movie.

Zarathustra[H];1037381784 said:
The part that makes this silly is that they don't seem to realize they are little more than an annoyance.

The Spanish National Police probably don't like the fact that their webpage was hacked, but does it prevent them from doing their work, and arresting more people? Not that I'm aware of. :rolleyes:

I agree. My experience working with police officers is that they're the last group of people to be working with technology. The only technology that they learn is the computers they're familiar with in their own cars and that's separate from their website. I don't get why Anonymous is now thinking that hitting PR sites is the best way to go although it's irrelevant. Same thing for NATO. Does hitting their site have any effect? Most likely not.

If Anon attacks the Spanish police for arresting there members, doesent that sort of PROVE the ones arrested WERE members? Doesent anyone find that rather counter-productive?

Why don't these idiots hit something useful... like all the banks that destroyed our economy and raped trillions from taxpayers?

You mess with PSN, you might go to jail IF you get caught, and they won't try all that hard to find you. You mess with Goldman Sachs, and a government helicopter lands in your backyard and renditions your ass to Eastern Europe within ten minutes.

Sure, until you can't get your money out.

Anonymous is squandering their folk-hero status.

Bingo! If Anonymous were to hack into your place of business and reek havoc to your reputation you'd use every means at your disposal to make them pay, I know I would. The group is called Anonymous, their identifies, intentions and actions are unknown. We ask of corporations and governments more and more transparency but none of the "freedom fighters" because well, everything they do is for the little guy since they say so. Is there anyone alive this naive?

Meh, told ya'll DDOS was going to happen.

Back when I was working part time for an mmo company they got hit with a ddos and the servers went practically offline. They called their isp for help, who then did the filtering for them and they were back online. Couldn't other isps do the same?

Bingo! If Anonymous were to hack into your place of business and reek havoc to your reputation you'd use every means at your disposal to make them pay, I know I would. The group is called Anonymous, their identifies, intentions and actions are unknown. We ask of corporations and governments more and more transparency but none of the "freedom fighters" because well, everything they do is for the little guy since they say so. Is there anyone alive this naive?

Too many people want to root for the "robin hood" character, even though these guys aren't giving anything back to the community they see them as their "avengers." I can see why they have support but I'm seeing it dwindling, kind of hard to have a common goal when there is no direction in their group.

Too many people want to root for the "robin hood" character, even though these guys aren't giving anything back to the community they see them as their "avengers." I can see why they have support but I'm seeing it dwindling, kind of hard to have a common goal when there is no direction in their group.

Most everyone loves a Robin Hood, sure. But is Anonymous a Robin Hood or a Darth Vader? We do not know and that's the biggest problem with this group. As long as they remain in hiding they'll NEVER affect any positive change. But they WILL succeed in getting Patriot Act Internet Edition passed.

It's time to start putting a bounty on their heads.

Most everyone loves a Robin Hood, sure. But is Anonymous a Robin Hood or a Darth Vader? We do not know and that's the biggest problem with this group. As long as they remain in hiding they'll NEVER affect any positive change. But they WILL succeed in getting Patriot Act Internet Edition passed.

I agree.

But they WILL succeed in getting Patriot Act Internet Edition passed.

Yeah, let's give up our rights willingly because that's a lot better than the government taking them by force. Let's hunt down anyone who runs afoul of the law, setting up our own vigilante internet checkpoints. That should stop all the vigilantism.

Yeah, let's give up our rights willingly because that's a lot better than the government taking them by force. Let's hunt down anyone who runs afoul of the law, setting up our own vigilante internet checkpoints. That should stop all the vigilantism.

There are plenty examples in history where government was WITHOUT question taking away people's rights and many of these people resisted but they, showed their faces in public, did not hide, took the punishment of the law.

Say what you will about government taking away rights by force but do not give a free pass to those who hide in the shadows with unknown actions and intent. If you ask transparency of government I see no logical reason that the same standard shouldn't be applied to "freedom fighters" when history has plenty examples of very effective freedom fighters who didn't hide like cowards, indeed being known and seen made their causes even stronger.

Say what you will about government taking away rights by force but do not give a free pass to those who hide in the shadows with unknown actions and intent. If you ask transparency of government I see no logical reason that the same standard shouldn't be applied to "freedom fighters" when history has plenty examples of very effective freedom fighters who didn't hide like cowards, indeed being known and seen made their causes even stronger.
The government will not give us transparency, so we appear to be an an impasse. I will happily agree to a reduction of internet anonymity right after the government gives us unfettered access to their inner workings. Reality-show style, even.

I am wholly unafraid of what these hackers might do to my daily life; thus far, they haven't done any real damage to anyone that can't afford it. I feel that our current methods of dealing with them are adequate for the scale of the attacks they've launched. These miniscule pecks here and there are easy to go undetected. If they try to pull something huge that will threaten our daily lives, they're not going to be able to do it without getting detected.

Some of the authoritarian people on this forum want to blame the hackers for a possible Orwellian crackdown. If they think the government can seize such power at any time, then the crackdown has already occurred; we just haven't noticed.

The government will not give us transparency, so we appear to be an an impasse. I will happily agree to a reduction of internet anonymity right after the government gives us unfettered access to their inner workings. Reality-show style, even.

I am wholly unafraid of what these hackers might do to my daily life; thus far, they haven't done any real damage to anyone that can't afford it. I feel that our current methods of dealing with them are adequate for the scale of the attacks they've launched. These miniscule pecks here and there are easy to go undetected. If they try to pull something huge that will threaten our daily lives, they're not going to be able to do it without getting detected.

Some of the authoritarian people on this forum want to blame the hackers for a possible Orwellian crackdown. If they think the government can seize such power at any time, then the crackdown has already occurred; we just haven't noticed.

There is a difference between transparency and voyeurism and you're suggesting the later. Personally I don't want you, me or ANYONE that's not been properly vetted to have unfettered access to the inner workings of a soup factory, let alone the highest levels of government.

I guess I'm one of the few people that look at voting rates in the US and think this whole lack of transparency issue as little more than a symptom of victimhood. "The big bad guvment out to get me but I can't be bothered to vote!"

Voting is the FIRST line of government transparancy and the majority of people in the US that can don't even take advantage of that. So I don't see government reality TV being anything more than another way for people to bitch and complain rather than taking tangible action, like voting.:cool:

There is a difference between transparency and voyeurism and you're suggesting the later. Personally I don't want you, me or ANYONE that's not been properly vetted to have unfettered access to the inner workings of a soup factory, let alone the highest levels of government.
This is foolishness. Why should they be allowed unfettered, voyeuristic access to citizens if we can't ask the same of them? We are private citizens conducting private affairs. They are public servants conducting public affairs, on our dime, no less. They deserve less privacy than us, not more.

I guess I'm one of the few people that look at voting rates in the US and think this whole lack of transparency issue as little more than a symptom of victimhood. "The big bad guvment out to get me but I can't be bothered to vote!"

Voting is the FIRST line of government transparancy and the majority of people in the US that can don't even take advantage of that. So I don't see government reality TV being anything more than another way for people to bitch and complain rather than taking tangible action, like voting.:cool:
This argument makes no sense whatsoever.

What makes you think that citizens who don't vote have no right to keep tabs on their government? Voters and nonvoters alike pay for the government's operation; they both deserve access to the government's workings.

This argument makes no sense whatsoever.

What makes you think that citizens who don't vote have no right to keep tabs on their government? Voters and nonvoters alike pay for the government's operation; they both deserve access to the government's workings.

Voting is the primary tool by which citizens keeps tabs on their government. To me it makes no sense that someone would complain about "big, bad, guvment" and not vote or have any idea about who is running for elective office or even try support candidates that can effectively do the things they want.

What you want is good government with no effort by citizens to achieve it. In most republics people get the government they deserve.

What you want is good government with no effort by citizens to achieve it. In most republics people get the government they deserve.
You are living in a fantasy world in which two parties aren't monopolizing the political system and they behave differently in some significant way, where somebody besides Ron Paul and Ron Wyden even cares about anything but filling their coffers. Virtually nothing changed from Bush to Obama. We choose between two parties who both have no desire to do anything but maintain the policies beneficial to both of them.

And yet again, voting is not the issue. I don't know where you're getting this notion that choosing "D" or "R" every four years somehow keeps our government from hiding everything possible from us.

Regardless of whether or not we vote, every single one of us deserve transparency from our government.
Period.

And yet again, voting is not the issue. I don't know where you're getting this notion that choosing "D" or "R" every four years somehow keeps our government from hiding everything possible from us.

Regardless of whether or not we vote, every single one of us deserve transparency from our government.
Period.

Well here's the thing. The people that assume elective office are the ones that get the most votes, so yeah, voting is pretty much a core issue.

And sure government should be transparent. So who bothers to read bills out of Congress or even to watch C-Span? You're living in a fantasy world if you think even a sliver of people even bother to avail themselves of the vast amount of information that the US Federal government already provides.

Hidden in plain sight.

lol these people, I wont be surprised if things like these just really kill anonymity in the internet in the long run :(, they are just proving more that the internet needs to be controlled, which in the first place shouldn't *sigh

Don't think the spanish police gives a shyt. Don't even think they know they have a website

Hes not saying that have no right, hes saying they don't care. What we want and what people are willing to fight for are a different thing. Look at how easy it was to pass the patriot act?

Most people only know about events/poltitics is because they saw it on TV, the cliffs note version. Thats their only info and they will stick to it with an iron will. I think the US gave up on trying to keep check about their government, only showing a small morsel of "give a shit" when they see it on the news then forget about it in the morning.

Back