Sparkle 550w = HEAT!!

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
I got the Sparkle 550w from Newegg. My preshott will do 3.84, but the PS (with only one fan) will not. I rigged another fan to the other side (windtunnel) and the temps are in the 50c range real quick.

Stock speed it's in the 40c range. Do I have a defective PS? Anyone else with the Sparkle 550w have these temp problems? Should I rip it apart or what?

As a side note, I got the XP-90 HS on my cpu and my CPU temps are 40c area, which is real good for preshott.

Any help/ideas?

Something is not right. Sparkle makes a good supply and this thing as 36A of 12V. It would seem like it should run your system without breathing hard. So...

What motherboard, processor and vid card are you running and how much memory? Are you by any chance trying to run a 24 pin motherboard with a 20 pin power supply connector?

If there is not anything wrong in your configuration, the supply is bad. That much heat may mean a dead short somewhere.

oc

I am just measuring temps from bios and Abit software in windows.
My setup ain't that crazy (2) ea. dvd, (2) ea. HDs, 6800GT and 3.2E on Abit IS-7.

It is a 24 pin PS on a 20 pin MB.

The bios may be off, but surely not 20c. Also my old 350w one ran like 29c.

Thanks.

1st a different supply is going to have the sensor in a different location

2nd a different supply is going to have a different heatsink and enclosure gradient

3rd compare the temperature of the exhaust to those that Mike Chin measured (youll need to match the ambient and anything within a few degrees (say 3° or 4°) easily within the margin of error, and figure your actual load, employ the calculator in the How to Buy a PSU sticky thread to guesstimate as you likely have no means to measure actual wattage consumed
(alternately use a watt meter to measure the AC consumpution and factor in the conversion inefficiency that Mike outlines

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article212-page3.html

PSU Exhaust (°C \ °F) with Room Ambient @ 20C \ 68F

31C \ 87.8F \ 65W
35C \ 87.8F \ 90W
41C \ 105.8F \ 150W
43C \ 109.4F \ 200W
45C \ 113F \ 250W
48C \ 118.4F \ 300W
52C \ 125.6F \ 400W
57C \ 134.6F \ 460W

Thanks.
Well, it appears (my guestimate) that I am between the 45-50c range, which surely this Sparkle will handle.

The Sparkle is giving me more than enough power, and the exhaust, although hot, doesn't burn my hand or make me go wow, thats extreme.

But I am suffering from stability, with occasional reboots even at stock speeds. Keep in mind the 3.2E is about as power hungry as they get. Now I don't have a multimeter or anything, but all the rails looks stable and where they are supposed to be at w/software monitors.

Personally, here's what I think. The original IS-7 was made before prescott, and I'm sure I would not had these problems had I went Northwood 3.2, (sigh).
Anyways, I'm thinking of trying this as a last resort. It says it supports 20 and 24 pin.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-123&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Back