Speaker buzzing

a!!!!1

Weaksauce
I just moved back home for the summer (was away for college) and set up my computer and sound system. The system worked perfectly when I was there, but here at home the left speaker has a constant buzzing sound 100% of the time it's turned on. The right speaker works fine. I switched the power cords and the outlets and everything imaginable and the left one always buzzes and the right one is always fine. I remember a similar problem last time I was here, and the problem only occurs here at my parents' house, never at my own apartment when I'm gone. My dad said it might be due to old low quality power in the house as opposed to a brand new apartment complex, but I don't understand why it's always/only the left speaker that has this problem.

This is what I have:
- M-Audio BX8a speakers
- M-Audio BX10s subwoofer
- X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
- Left speaker is using XLR and right is using TRS (I think I only had one TRS cable, don't remember why I did this, but the XLR does work fine when I'm not at home)
- Normal power strip
- Antec battery backup / surge protector

I used to have the speakers hooked up to a Belkin surge protector hooked up to the Antec, but it broke so now I'm just using a regular power strip. Again, the setup that buzzes here is exactly the same as the setup that doesn't buzz there.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

I am no electrician but might it have something to do with grounding? If you have a poor house ground or poor ground on that socket, it could be picking up interference running in the lines.

Lack of power could be it but if you have a way to check the voltage coming from the outlet you can rule this in or out pretty quick.

Dan

A cheater plug is the easy solution, but it definitely increases the risk of electrocution...just make sure you don't touch any exposed metal.

I've just done some Googling and came to a conclusion that X-Fi card is the culprit to my woes. I've had some crackling/hissing/popping in the center speaker that comes and goes.. While trying to watch Spartacus tonight, I got fed up and switched to my 7.1 on board audio and bam... no more annoying noises!

you might try to insulate the back bracket of your card, with insulation tape so, there is no direct contact between the case and the back bracket. i am using xfi titanium sound card, and the insulation has helped a lot in removing the background static noise.

Back