Speaker noise/hissing

insane111

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure how to explain tnis since I'm not that knowledgable, but I'll try!

This is how I have things connected:

Video card HDMI >> Receiver >> 5 speakers+sub

When I use hdmi passthrough and bitstream to the receiver, this problem does not exist. However, when the PC is handling the output/decoding/whatever,
there is a very noticeable *sssssssssss* sound at mid to high volumes and it gets worse the higher I go. Even at mid volume, during quiet moments i can
hear the hiss from several feet away. Does anyone know what the problem might be here? Is something causing interference for the video card?

Last edited:
Do you have full range enabled for satellite speakers?

Have you tried installing different codecs and or different players?

Since it doesn't do it when the sound it bitstreamed doesn't seem like you have anything wrong with the hardware.

I'm guessing your output volume is too high on the PC and too low on the receiver. Since you're processing the analog signal twice (soundcard, then receiver), it is far easier to have a difficult to uncover cause/effect relationship. Typically, you only want to boost volume at ONE point in the processing stage - keep the soundcard low and then push it out the receiver.

Are you using a speaker jack or a line out jack (and/or for the configurable sound cards, what option are you using)?

It is also possible that your soundcard just sucks.

If you are feeling really adventurous, record the sound of the hiss, use a spectrum analyzer to find its frequency, then tweak the EQ in the receiver (or PC) to knock that frequency off or down. As long as it is one that doesn't have anything else important (i.e. human voices), then you may never notice...

I tried lowering the PC volume, and although it lowers the volume it has no effect on the hiss whatsoever. Even if I mute the PC volume, the noise is still there when a signal is being sent. Only adjusting the receiver volume makes it louder or softer, it becomes audible from a distance at around -5db.

My sound card is a Xonar DX, but I'm not using the sound card. The audio goes through my HD6950 video card.

Do you have full range enabled for satellite speakers?

Have you tried installing different codecs and or different players?

Since it doesn't do it when the sound it bitstreamed doesn't seem like you have anything wrong with the hardware.

Full range is disabled. I use Media player classic + ffdshow (CCCP), haven't tried anything else yet.

I think this would be solved if I could figure out how to get the receiver to handle everything. Right now it only handles the pass through options that I have enabled in ffdshow.

asdfpb.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I had to enable the "AC3 (S/PDIF encode mode) option. That fixes the problem for the rest of my media stuff. But of course other sounds outside ffdshow still cause the noise, is there any way to get the receiver to handle *everything*, not just the stuff passed from FFDshow?

Try another player like windows media player, vlc player. To see if its consistent. Maybe try Shark007 codecs instead of CCCP.

Maybe possibly looking up reviews on your receiver to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

One thing try unchecking that 24bit integer it could be output an LPCM format thats not compatible with your receiver, which is unlikely but worth a try.

EDIT: Whats your receiver model?

Last edited:
It's a Denon 1612, I'll try some other players/codecs later and see how that goes.

Back