speaker suggestions?

jbailey

Limp Gawd
My current PC speaker setup consists of:
2x Bose 201 Series IV Direct/ Reflecting Speakers (left and right)
Sony SA-WM20 sub (8")
Sony Receiver STR-D350Z

While everything sounds great, I'd like to get something with a bit more power, but not so much it's going to cause a problem with everyone else in the house. I've probably had all of this equipment for about 5 or 6 years now, and it has always sounded great. I recently upgrade from onboard sound to an X-Fi Platinum, and I like what it has done with my mp3s so far.

I'm almost considering these: Definitive Technology 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker with Built-in Subwoofer

They're $600 each retail, but I can get them for $300 each. I've heard them and they sound amazing, but I don't know if I'm ready to spend $600 on speakers just yet. I'd also probably have to get a more powerful receiver to really take advantage of something like that.

So really I guess my dilemma is I don't kow if I should just slightly upgrade my current system or just save some cash and get those two nice non-directional speakers, which could be used in a decent home theater setup down the road, too.

Also, I would like opinions on those Def Tech speakers. I don't know a lot about audio equipment, I just know what I think sounds pretty good.

best place to find out would be to search some audio forums. www.avsforum.com, as is www.hometheaterforum.com and www.audioholics.com are good ones. As you get higher up in audio, mp3's will start to sound worse since you start to hear the artifacting present in the compression. You have a lot of options to upgrade with $600. Set a budget and read up on the forums on what the best speakers are.

Get info on DefTech here: www.definitivetech.com

I'm a big fan of DT and use them for my home theater system. I've not heard the BP7006, but used to own the BP2006. I liked them but when it came to home theater, I preferred smaller speakers. I sold my two BP2006 and bought a pair of DT's PowerMonitor 500 bookshelf speakers. They sound great and I've never looked back.

all depends on what you listen to mostly, bookshelf are (generally) better for music enviorments, while floors would be more appropriate towards a home theater setup

But hey, 50% off is good too.... ;)

Back