Speed of my AC66R Router

Darcy

n00b
I have Comcast and I pay for Performance 20Mbps with power Boost for internet speed, Windows 7, Intel Core I5 , 8GB of memory, Motorola SB 6120 and CAT 6a Cables. My xbox that is furthest away from the router says around 2.37Mb on Cinemanow now and the xbox closest gets up to 3.35 Mb which is still not good enough for HD according to Cinemanow(3.5Mb needed). Speedtest.com says my speed on my computer plugged into the router is 25.45Mb as the highest for my Download and 4.67 as the highest for my Upload. My local area connection status on my computer which is plugged into the router says 1Gbps as well. Any thoughts?

Everything is wireless except for the computer plugged into the router. 4 xbox's , 4 laptop's, 2 Vita's, 1 ipod, 1 galaxy player and 2 Galaxy S 3 phones. Never all connected at once by the way.

Last edited:
Any other suggestions? Can't run the xbox's wired because of location.

I've heard nothing but crap reviews from the AC66 compared to the N version. If you could flash the firmware I'd probably do it and maybe boost the power output. Alternatively you can try switching WLAN channels and see if that helps at all. Most of those devices are probably only 802.11g anyways so not sure how much you'd get from the 5Ghz freq which has more trouble penetrating objects and distance affects it dramatically when doing so.

Last resort you can just buy a WAP and hard line it with the Cat6a to a closer distance toward the edge of your network to kind of boost the signal and see if that helps.

The only thing I'm worried about is the 4 xboxs because I want to stream HD movies to it. I reinstalled the router and boosted the Tw setting to 110 and have done the channel switching and it's still the same. My old router-Linksys WRT54GSV4 had an upgraded antenna which ran at 7dbi so I wonder if I need to upgrade the antennas.

You CAN stream HD netflix, content in WMC, or with the built in video player. Serviio works good for this over UPNP/DLNA.

but.....you are limited in WMC to the file types that will play and the xbox is not cabable of streaming full blu-ray content(~40Mbps). I have tried this on wired even and it's not possible, only lower bit-rate HD is possible.

Last edited:
Ok that stinks. They have these apps on xbox live that you cant fully use then. Vudu is the same thing to stream in HDX-Cant do it. I bought this router thinking I would be able to stream HD so I'm bummed.

What is the purpose of wireless N then? I dont think the speed difference is that great from my WRT54GSV4 router.

Darcy.

A perfect wireless G connection WPA-PSK at 54mbit gives you approx. 23mbit (2.8MB/s) of usable throughput between ALL your wireless devices. The bandwith is shared collectively. Not to mention that wireless is a unidirectional protocol. A single device can either transmit or receive but not both at the same time. I'm afraid, streaming HD on multiple devices at higher bitrates with your current setup would require breaking the laws of physics.

A perfect 20Mhz, 2.4Ghz wireless N connection WPA2-AES at 144mbps (10MB/s) gives you approx. 80mbit of usable throughput between ALL your wireless devices. The bandwith is shared collectively.

So in deployment wireless N is 3 times faster than wireless G, assuming you are actually running in full wireless N mode (144mbps)

Unfortunately if you have even 1 wireless G device (unless you configure the router to ban wireless G) the router will automatically slow every wireless device down to wireless G speeds.

You've got a lot of wireless devices, not all of them are wireless N capable and you have (1) AP serving all of them.

Assuming you have no neighbors the best you could do is purchase a 3 pack of Ubiquiti Unifi's wire them to various locations in your home. Have all three on different channels 1,6,11.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oogleMKP-_-pla-_-Wireless+AP-_-9SIA1EA0CD6556

Set one up for wireless G devices and the other 2 for wireless N only devices. That should allow you to stream a couple of HD connections and keep your low speed devices from affecting your higher speed N spec devices.

If you do THAT (suggested above) the next limitation will be the QOS in your current router.

I would not suggest you try this without help/assistance from someone who is comfortable with wireless deployments. Without assistance you may become disheartened when you see the lack of instructions or directions that are provided with the unifi's. Ubiquiti Unifi's are a professional, WISP/commercial class product and are marketed to those that are comfortable and familar with intermediate to advanced networking.

FYI... I can easily pull off a single 720p stream from netflix over wireless N. Since I haven't quite moved out of the stone ages I only have 3Mbps DSL and would not be able to test 1080 netflix streaming over wireless. From what I hear....it is possible, but you better not be using any other wireless device on that channel or connected to that same AP. 1080 over wireless has been described as a bit fragile.

Some people believe 802.11ac will be able to do what you are suggesting, but from the whitepapers I have read along with the engineering notes from the draft publications that is not what 802.11ac was designed for.

802.11ad will be completely capable of what you are suggesting and IS designed to provide what you are hoping for. Unfortunately the specification just hit draft form. So you might be able to buy 802.11ad devices by 2018.

Thank you for responding. I have figured this out finally tonight as a matter of fact so here it goes...My son has the old white xbox 360 with the xbox wireless N network adapter(Black with gray antennas) so I went to the network settings on his xbox and saw both of my wireless signals on it(2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz signals) I connected on the 5 ghz signal and went to vudu and streamed movies in HDX no problem. I then went to Cinemanow and went to system status and it showed my speed at 14.63Mbps so I can stream in HD! Yeah! Now, I have a Netgear wireless N adapter sitting around so I plugged that into MY xbox and got speeds of around 10-11Mbps(Only comes in 2.4 ghz) so now I can also stream in HD! The xbox adapter had faster speed and can do 5ghz I guess that's why so I might just go buy one and hook it to my xbox.

Last edited:
After speaking with as ASUS rep I have come to find out that there is an issue with the broadcom chip in the AC66R and xbox. The speed is slow on xbox when streaming because of the compatibility issue with the broadcom chip. The rep said they are working on a fix for it.

I'm testing the beta version of the new Firmware coming out for the AC66R and it has a fix for Xbox. The speed issue is no longer and you will see it on the settings for the AC66R under wireless. There is a box next to the b/g protection that says Xbox optimize so once you check that you will be getting some pretty high speeds.

My Router works fine. I'm just making a statement that ASUS has been taking a while with the latest FW update.

Back