Spilled water on my computer...

Hey guys,

Well, on Friday night I was playing SC2 and I accidentally spilled some water on the table where I don't normally have it, but LANs are LANs. I realize it was a mistake to put it there in the first place so please don't remind me how stupid I am. Anyways, it ended up falling on the table and spilled right into the top part of my case where my top fan is. It was probably about a an ounce or two.

As soon as I realized what was going on I turned off the switch on the power supply and unplugged it then grabbed a screwdriver and tore everything out really quickly. Before I turned it off I noticed the screen turned into a sort of checkerboard snow effect which was no doubt the video card responding. I pulled everything out and have been letting it dry for a couple days now. Basically what I was wondering was what should I expect? There was no popping or crackling or sizzling or anything. There was no surge to the power strip as other stuff was plugged in and still worked fine. Also as far as I can tell there was nothing burnt up or blew up. It seems like the parts that were hit the most were the video card and the motherboard, but I dried them off as quickly as I could.

What should I do? Is there any hope of saving those parts? How long should I wait before putting everything back together? I have a spare motherboard and video card so that should help a bit with testing. But yeah, any advice? And again, please don't remind me how stupid I am, I feel bad enough as it is.

You have a good chance now that its dry it will be ok. Take a hair dryer to each board as you reassemble making sure you get down into the slot connectors well and look everthing over to make sure no water remains. See post on guy washing his MB in the sink. The damage has been done, its all a question if you got it turned off before anything was damaged. If you think it might not be completely dry put it out in the hot sun for a day and then give it a go. Other than making sure it is dry there is not much else you can do but start it up with minimal components and see what happens.

wait a couple more days before turning it on! its probably not dead unless you power it on and it is still wet.

I don't see any calcium deposits or signs of the video card being that wet really, but on the bottom of the motherboard there are some pretty evident traces of water being leaked on it.

Anyways, right now I put everything outside to dry in the sun. I plan on taking it back inside later and letting it sit out overnight again. Then I think tomorrow? I'm going to get a hairdryer and put it on each piece by piece to ensure everything is dry. I plan on starting to plug in each part one at a time to see if it works. Does that sound like an ok plan or should I wait a bit longer?

Back