splitting molex

ipam45

Gawd
fisrs time building a computer and i really want to make my computer clean an tidy. and to do taht i used a lot of molex splitters. will that have any affect on the perfermance of my computer.

As long as you aren't overloading the PSU as a whole you should be fine.
For the most part, all of the molex chains will be soldered onto the same part of the circuit board, so the only other danger is overloading the wires themselves with too many amps (which causes the wires to heat up and melt, then short on things).

And overloading the wires is about impossible. You can draw quite a bit of current through a 18awg wire. They are in fact all soldered to the same place, so the only concern is overall wattage. If you drew all of the psus potential through one 4 pin molex cable on the 12v rail, the wires still wouldnt melt.

Yep. If the PSU can handle all your stuff without the splitters, it'll be fine with the splitters.

thanks guys, i was pretty worried when i connected my HD,CD,led and fan onto one original molex.

I have a gpu, 2 CCFLs, 2 fans, my water pump, and 3 other case fans all offa one line on my modular PSU... I made the big, long cable myself, with 90' angle connectors and other pretty stuff.

It's actually like... a modular cable, lol.

sort of hijacking the thread here, but this made me wonder why the pci-x cards need to connect to two molex connectors (if the psu didnt come with a pci-x connector to begin with) if i could draw the same thing from one.
In fact, in my computer, i just used a molex splitter to split one molex into two, which connected into two molex receivers of the pci-x power thingy, which in turn went back into the one pci-x plug.

the idea was to connect each molex to a separate leg off the psu. on newer spec psu's with split 12v rails, only certain amount of current will be available to each leg. by splitting the load between 2 legs, you should be sure to get enough power. splitting 1 molex into 2, then connecting those 2 to the pci express converter defeats the hole papoose.

#1 retail6600/3703mhz
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

ah I see... huh. I guess i should rewire my pc then... well, tomorrow is gonna be fun. :eek:

Back