Squid + Log Analysis (Websites Visited)

KatalDT

2[H]4U
So, just set up Squid on a Debian box for an office with ~30 or so workstations. Active Directory authentication using Kerberos & NTLM, with basic auth backup for a couple old workstations not using domain accounts. I've used this before for filtering and bandwidth monitoring.

Working wonderfully - linked to groups in AD for different levels of access, from "blocked" to "anonymous" (ie. not logged at all).

However, the main reason they want this in place is just to check on people surfing too much. They don't want to block anybody, but they also don't want to be taken advantage of either.

So... I need a way to analyze the Squid logs to pull out actual page visits. Using Lightsquid right now, and it's tough to explain to them why the site with the highest % of "Em-Bees" (megabytes) isn't necessarily the most visited site.

I would really like a way to see each page request. Ie. somebody types in Facebook.com, that's one entry. Don't show the other 15-100 connections that happen when you load it up - they want to know how many times somebody visited a site.

Any ideas?

Ultimately though, it's going to be hard to explain to non-technical people how to read the logs or resulting charts and graphs.

Damn. I really don't want to be the guy saying 'THAT PERSON IS USING FACEBOOK ALL DAY, HE NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH'.

Thanks for the info guys.

Sorry to hijack, but a bit relevant.

How about Dansguardian logs? I haven't managed to find anything yet that will make a nice report of username/IP/visited/action taken or whatever yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry to hijack, but a bit relevant.

How about Dansguardian logs? I haven't managed to find anything yet that will make a nice report of username/IP/visited/action taken or whatever yet. Anyone got any ideas?

just a side note on dansguardian.. You can set logging so it uses the same format as squid. This way whatever reporting package you use with squid, you can use with dansguardian.

Back