SquirrelMail Archive Plugin says no zlib support in PHP

Shadow2531

[H]ard|Gawd
This belongs in both programming and here, but I want to try my luck here as it has to do mostly with linux. If it doesn't turn out well, I'll request it be moved.

I posted the following over at ars and did not receive any responses. (Probably because it's a lot to ask). As you will see, I'm looking for specifics (not found by searching), but any help is appreciated.

-----

The admin for my isp setup SquirrelMail, and had no problems. I asked him to install the Archive mail plugin so everyone can download their selected messages in various formats like zip and tar. I have it working on windows with no problem, but the admin cannot get it working on Linux. (Not sure which version, but it's red hat. I can find out if it matters.).

Here's what SquirrelMail is running on:

Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.3.3 mod_perl/1.29

The archive plugin is complaining that there's no zlib support and phpinfo() doesn't show zlib, so I'm thinking php wasn't compiled with zlib support. The admin is able to build zlib, but I thinking it has to be built into php.

I asked the developer of the plugin and he said that if php was an rpm package that zlib should be built-in and he doesn't know why it doesn't have zlib built-in.

I've seen lots of guides on building php, but that's not enough. I need specific step-by-step directions of exactly what needs to be downloaded, where to put it, what configure arguments to use and where and how to install it. I need a list of all dependencies needed to build php.

Also, on Windows, you can use the php module or the cgi version. Does it work that way on linux? If so, the module would be preferred, but does building the module require the apache source and what dependencies are needed for it?

Basically I need directions for building a standard php distro on linux with the standard goodies AND zlib support.

If there is an RPM available for php 4.3.3 that the admin can just install, that would be great. Will a php module only work with a certain version of apache?

If not, then here's what needs to be built.

php.4.3.10
zlib 1.2.2
apache 1.3.33

BTW, I noticed on php.net, that for the php 4.xx series, you have to update the Zend engine. Should that been done too? Any dependencies for that?

Also, will a new version of apache cause problems with the existing mod perl version?

Again, the build guides do not help enough.

If anyone wants to help, I would appreciate it.

(I used debian woody for 6 months so I know a few things. I was able to build GTK2, but it was a pain in the ass with all the dependencies that I needed to build first, which is why I ask about all the dependencies. I cannot try your suggestions personally because I have windows, but I can report how things go so I can tell you how you all rock )

I definitely need more info than ./configure --with-zlib

Thanks

Back