SSD alignment....

Old Hippie

Supreme [H]ardness
Other than doing an alignment during an OS install I wasn't aware that it could be done any other way. AFAIK it had to be done on a raw drive with no partitions and no file structure.

Today I was alerted to the Paragon Alignment Tool that claims to align partitions on physical and virtual disks according to internal device's geometry without affecting the on-disk data.

I used the forms, downloaded the tools and info, installed the program and ran the tool.

Since it found my OS aligned it wouldn't go any farther but has anyone else tried/used or heard of this tool?

At the very least it seems to be an alignment checker but who's got a bad XP alignment that needs fixed? :D

I'd like that too, it came back all green on my results.

Perhaps it would work better if for some reason TRIM were not enabled, such as on older SSDs, or Win XP/Vista.

Perhaps it would work better if for some reason TRIM were not enabled, such as on older SSDs, or Win XP/Vista.

Ahhhh it's got nothing to do with TRIM but everything to do with those that have not installed correctly during a fresh install (usually XP) or after using an image to restore the OS.

If your installing Win 7 on your SSD then you don't have to worry about alignment. Simply use the OS to create the partition and you'll be golden ! :)

Sweet, no reason to ever use a SSD on XP/Vista again then!

Funny timing on this thread OH; I was actually looking at that tool earlier today.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether Paragon's free drive backup/imaging program preserves correct alignment when restoring an image to an SSD. I know that's not the topic of this thread, but it's somewhat related...if anyone has used it I'd appreciate the insight. I haven't been able to find anything so far in the documentation.

The only backup Imaging software that I know first hand will retain alignment when the image is restored is Acronis True Image.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether Paragon's free drive backup/imaging program preserves correct alignment when restoring an image to an SSD.

I dunno but since 2 people have had positive results from the alignment tool, there's no need to care. :D

Back