SSD and AHCI Drivers

DarkScythe

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I am making the jump to an SSD, and taking the chance to upgrade from WinXP to Win7 at the same time.

Two firsts for me, which could be troubling but, I have a quick question about the AHCI drivers.

Should I leave it alone and use Win7's native AHCI drivers, or should I install Intel's RST drivers? I'll only have a single SSD as boot, and about a half dozen HDD's not in RAID.

Thanks!

Either way is fine. There may be some small performance gains from using Intel's RST - but probably nothing significant. You can always try it and see if it makes a difference.

All right, I just wanted to make sure there were no penalties regarding TRIM or something that I forgot about.

I remember at one point people preferred one over the other, but I can't remember why, nor can I figure out what thread I saw it in.

Thanks, I'll grab the Intel ones and see what happens; hopefully nothing spontaneously explodes.

What about the Intel Matrix Storage driver things? Should I bother, since I'm not doing RAID?

Intel drives originally didn't support TRIM, that was fixed a while ago tho, just make sure you're using a current version.

I just updated mine and the newest version is 10.6.0.1022.

It doesn't seem to make any difference but I'm just starting to play with it. :)

Back