SSD install problem with AMD 850SB

I have a new Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H with the latest F4 bios in it.

I also have two Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 the 80G G2 disks.

The Sata3 controllers see the SSD's in IDE mode. In AHCI more they don't. In Raid mode the raid bios also does not see the disks.

The onboard sata2 controller sees the disks in IDE or AHCI or Raid and allows a raid0 set to be created....but....

Win7 will not allow the OS to be installed to the SSDs regardless of setup. So it sees the SSD in IDE mode on the Sata3 controllers, and it sees the drives on the Sata controller in IDE, and will the addition of the correct driver it sees the SSD in AHCI or Raid mode on the sata2 controller, but Win7 refuses to allow the OS to be installed. Just puts a warming symbol up and says the OS cannot be installed in the drive.

Freaking me out.

So I take the SSD's over to my current system, a Giagbyte 790GX board.... virtually same bios, etc... and the board recognizes the SSDs in IDE AHCI and RAID mode and creates a raid 0 set and allows Win7 to be installed, etc, etc.

So I'm assuming there must be a bug in the bios... came with F3 no go, upgraded to F4 still no go. Gigabyte doesn't seem to have a support forum. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue.

Kyle reviewed the board and used two Intel 80G G1 SSDs in the tests, so maybe the combo of new G2's and the new board/bios has me at an impass.

Any ideas?

Solved the problem.... sort of.

Turns out having the "SATA 3.0" item eneabled inthe bios freaks out the Intel SSD 80G G2, so they can't be seen by the SB850's controller... in raid or ahci mode.

Prolly gonna take a firmware upgrade to keep the drive happy with sata3.0 enabled.

Back