SSD questions/recommendation for older machines

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a computer I'm thinking about upgrading to an SSD.

GA-EP45-UD3P
Core 2 Duo (E6600)
2 GB RAM (DDR2 XMS)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

From what I remember, the motherboard only has standard SATA interfaces (3Gb/s) available. I'm currently running a 150GB WD Raptor and it makes way too much noise since I've upgraded to Windows 7 and started playing BF3; I'm assuming that is because it has much more disk activity now with the combination of Windows 7 and actually playing a modern game. I believe an SSD in the 120 GB range would suit my needs just fine.

Would it make sense to go with a SATA III drive on this machine? The cost difference between generations seems to be about $20 which doesn't matter too much for me on a $200 drive. For SATA I/II I was looking at the Intel 320 (120 GB), and for SATA III I was looking at the Crucial M4 (128 GB) or Samsung 830 (128 GB). I was thinking that SATA III may be the way to go since there is a chance that I would use this drive again as a gaming drive when I build an Ivy Bridge rig next year to replace my current one.

Since you have plans to build a new machine in the near future, it certainly makes sense to go SATA III.

There is no downside to getting a SATA III drive to go with your current rig - it'll just run at SATA II speeds, but when you upgrade you'll be ready to go. Your choices sound prety good also.

Back