SSD Recommendation Needed

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to buy a new SSD around the 250-ish GB capacity, and need some suggestions. Reliability is my primary concern; next would be performance. I'm willing to spend up to $600. My mobo only supports SATA2, but that will be upgraded in the future. The drive would be used for my OS, some games, and some developer tools (Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Blend, etc.). I have a full copy of Acronis, so the inclusion of a drive cloning application with the SSD is not required. Let me know if you need any other qualifying details.

Last edited:
Intel 510 250GB or Crucial M4 256GB.

Those are very good choices for reliability. They may not put up the theoretical compressed performance of Sandforce drives but they have significantly better reliability.

Incidentally, the Intel 510 and Crucial M4 were two that I was considering. And that Newegg promo code makes the Crucial M4 very, very tempting. Are there any other SSDs that I should consider?

None that come to my mind. All other major players use the SF tech, but as drescherjm mentioned those drivers are not nearly as reliable.

Thanks for the great advice.

The 256 GB Crucial M4's current sale price with the Newegg promo code was too good to pass up -- $361 shipped!

I recently had time to install the new Crucial M4. I flashed the latest Crucial firmware update (009), set the drive for AHCI mode in BIOS, and installed Windows 7 x64 without issue. Overall, it's been running great. I haven't noticed any speed difference between the Crucial M4 and my previous Intel 80 GB (gen 2) drive, which is a good thing.

Thanks again to those that helped with this decision.

Back