SSD Recommendations

Yes_sir21

Weaksauce
I want to purchase my first ssd and need a little help choosing one from a pile of ssd. Im not up to date on this front but last time i checked Cruciel was getting good reviews. Is that still the case ?

Here some of the popular ones at my local dealer :

Corsair SSD Force Series 3
Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB
OCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.5" 120GB

Which should i pick ? Or should i go for intel ? Im reading that crucial one needs firmware updating that makes me hesitant. Budget is around 100-200$.

I would go with the Crucial M4 128GB, the firmware was a bug that related to something like 500 hours of run time. I am sure by now the drives all come with the latest firmware but if not, it is very painless to do.

I am actually looking at getting a second M4 to replace a laptop hard drive right now since they really have dropped in price.

Crucial m4 is good.

The other two use asynchronous NAND which isn't the quickest, but tends to be cheaper. You can find synchronous NAND SSDs in your price range on sale. There are sales every day it seems. Keep an eye at slickdeals.net if you're willing to order online.

Seems like the Crucial m4 and Kingston HyperX 3K have been on sale a lot recently.

Corsair Performance Pro = Plextor M3 Pro > Samsung 830 = Plextor M3 > Crucial m4 in that order. If you're looking to save money, the m4 is generally going to run cheaper and there won't be too much of a difference in real time between the list above. If you see it for around $100 and nothing else is in that price range, then go with the m4. Keep in mind, the Plextor M3 and Samsung 830 have been going on sale quite a bit lately ($100 AR & $90-$120). The 830 128GB was $90 and can still be had for $120 in some places.

stay away from sand force and ocz. With all the crazy deals on crucials m4's and samsungs 830 I would just pick one of those up. The 830 was $90 for a 128gb on newegg the other day.

I use Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Right now 60 bucks on Newegg

I love my Mushkin Chronos MX SSDs. With 2 of them in Raid 0 ATTO reports 1GB+ read/write speeds. I also have Vertex 3's in my other system. On smaller files the Vertex 3's were a tad bit faster but on the larger files the Mushkins took the lead big time.

Before I forget. I got a couple of the regular Mushkin Chronos for laptops (1 for me and 1 for my dad) and they are fast as heck as well. Although I don't have any benchmarks on those yet. If you want I could do ATTO benchmarks on both the raid 0 setups and the single Chronos setups to give you a little data.

Back