SSD TRIM Enabled? fsutil disabledeletenotify=48?!

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been trying to verify TRIM is enabled on my new SSD because I built my own custom Windows image with RT Se7en Lite (got Windows down to about 7GB installed versus 20GB) but manually configured the driver store and services and some registry settings before finalizing the image and I worried I may have impaired SSD functionaliy.

I ran
Code:
>fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
which from my research indicated it should have resulted in an ouput of disabledeletenotify=0 or 1 to indicate if TRIM was enabled or not. I got disabledeletenotify=48 and I can't find anything online to indicate what this means. Any ideas? I could run
Code:
>fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
to force it to 0 but don't want to attempt this until I can figure out what the 48 means.

Last edited:
I think it means, don't screw around with the Windows installation with programs like RT Se7en Lite.

I've been working on this question for an hour and only have one conclusion; it's a enable/disable (yes/no) switch. The only possible responses to the query parameter are 0 or 1. How you're getting 48 is a complete mystery to me.

Screencap?

I've been working on this question for an hour and only have one conclusion; it's a enable/disable (yes/no) switch. The only possible responses to the query parameter are 0 or 1. How you're getting 48 is a complete mystery to me.

Screencap?

I could get you one but it'd just be a picture of my command prompt and not very interesting. It seems like I am not alone but this seems to be a very rare situation.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1136577/disabledeletenotify-48

I'm just about finished tweaking my SSD (Crucial M4 64GB) and when I ran "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" it reported back "DisableDeleteNotify = 48".

What does this mean?

http://superuser.com/questions/2292...ther-hard-drives-on-a-computer-and-how-do-you

After a bit of searching on Google, I found similar results elsewhere (set DisableDeleteNotify to 0), which makes sense since for TRIM to work, the solid-state drive needs to be notified when deletes occur (for the garbage collector) unlike a normal hard drive). When I run the query on fsutil, I get the following result:

DisableDeleteNotify = 48

Following the instructions I found, I set this to 0 instead of 48. However, I am beginning to wonder. Is this all the proof I really need that the OS is using TRIM?

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/30300-trim-and-ocz-vertex-2-60gb/

So should I enable it with the command(fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0) or maybe update to Intel RST drivers? I don't want to update drivers just yet(OCZ toolbox doesn't work with those drivers).

FYI, so far my google-fu comes of up with this when I search for DisableDeleteNotify = 48.

When I do the advice on that page(check with intel toolbox, check prefetch/superfetch) I see that prefetch/superfetch is enabled and TRIM is off(via a wordvalue in the Intel toolbox), but disk fragmentation does not see the drive(suggesting w7 sees the drive as an SSD) so...

No real answers either way. Somehow those of us with 48 are getting a 6-bit answer out of a supposedly 1-bit field. Maybe 48 is a reference to the 48bit LBA scheme?

Last edited:
I've now seen more than a few instances with folks using RT Se7en and encountering the same error.

I say image to your media of choice, set your flag to 0, and see what happens. If shite goes all bad you can restore from that very same image and no harm done (other than time lost).

I don't see how changing a variable like that is going to result in data loss. I suppose it's possible but that would not be rational behavior on part of the drive. If it was mine, I'd fiddle with it till it works right.

Back