SSDs and HyperFast

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
So, with modern Trim and Garbage Collection, does one really need Diskeeper with HyperFast?

There are some who would disagree with that. Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough information yet.

does one really need Diskeeper with HyperFast?

I do not think this is needed but if you want it there are several free versions that do the same thing as HyperFast without the marketing hype.

mydefrag and defraggler both do what HyperFast claims to do.

I don't think you really need it, but from my brief research it may provide some benefit. I already had Diskeeper and it was only $10 for Hyperfast so I bought it and have had it installed for about 6 weeks. Can't say if it has helped or not, but does not appear to have caused any problems.

Do a websearch on Hyperfast and read away, support on both sides of the usage. I agree about not being enough information yet but there does appear to be some support from some of the SSD manufactures.

HyperFast has been around for 2 years and I used it with my Intel RAID0 arrays.

It's just an automatic free-space consolidation program which MS co-wrote.

I couldn't really tell ya if it helped but it didn't hurt any. :)

If you have TRIM and GC working then I wouldn't bother. If you have a RAID setup and because of this lose TRIM then it could be worth it. If you have an SSD that needs to be secure erased every few months to work correctly then you may want to consider a different SSD.

What HyperFast claims to do is the same as what mydefrag and defraggler do for SSDs. And no this is not the same as a hard drive defrag.

Because defrag and space consoldiation aren't the same thing?

What part are you missing? :confused:

You can defrag without free space consolidation and vice versa. Generally they occur together but not always, depending on software.

You can defrag without free space consolidation and vice versa. Generally they occur together but not always, depending on software.
Could you show me where that program does space consolidation?

http://www.diskeeper.com/hyperfast/index.aspx

To demonstrate this fact, benchmark tests were performed on an 8GB SSD in a simulated real world scenario to depict a customer’s environment over 6 months. With HyperFast SSD optimization enabled, performance gains were automatically realized with 5.9x faster reads, 19.5x faster writes, 3.9X faster random reads and 9.0X faster random writes (higher numbers indicate higher performance).

EIGHT GIG SSD, not eighty, EIGHT. How old is an EIGHT GIG SSD. How bad/non existant is GC and trim support on an EIGHT GIG SSD. By SSD did they maybe mean FLASH DRIVE? Where is their data on drives made after 2005?

The dell mini 9 was sold with a 8gig ssd not too long ago. I'm sure there were other netbooks that did this also.

jesus so many threads out there on this site and others regarding this.

you cannot accurately defrag an SSD. any proggy that says it can, is bogus. period.
it has its own internal method of arranging things, and no fucking program out there can change that. why in the world would one attempt to do so on a device with no seek time :)

free space consolidation, by the same token, is ridiculously stupid on an SSD. most retarded inane thing ive ever heard of considering the method in which ssds operate.

it has its own internal method of arranging things,

Agreed. The SSD block layout will be very different from the OS sees because of wear leveling. There is no way to control this and even if there was you would not want to override the SSD's wear leveling just to make the blocks lineup the way you want.

free space consolidation, by the same token, is ridiculously stupid on an SSD.

Free space consolidation can help but its not because all blocks are pushed together in order. It is because the data is reduced to the fewest # of SSD blocks leaving the largest # of SSD blocks free so that with the help of TRIM (or garbage collection) these blocks can be erased from the list of blocks that the SSD needs to keep.

on a device with no seek time

There is no seek time but there is an access time. However since the OS has no access to the arrangement of the blocks any program can not really be that effective.

free space consolidation, by the same token, is ridiculously stupid on an SSD. most retarded inane thing ive ever heard of considering the method in which ssds operate.
If you have no experience with it, don't knock it.

If you do, how 'bout some personal observations.

Free space consolidation can help but its not because all blocks are pushed together in order. It is because the data is reduced to the fewest # of SSD blocks leaving the largest # of SSD blocks free so that with the help of TRIM (or garbage collection) these blocks can be erased from the list of blocks that the SSD needs to keep.
This is only true for controllers that use block mapping, and while I can't find any info on Marvell controlers, both intel and sandforce both use page mapping, so even free space consolidation won't help them much since they keep track of what's free at the page level.

If you do, how 'bout some personal observations.

oh i have done it :) my personal observation is no difference whatsoever, other than degrading raid sets almost immediately.
even on single devices there is no performance boost. i have tested the before/after.

Weird.

It's never done that on my Intel or Crucial RAID0 setups.

Agreed.. isn't this kinda how Tony Trim works? Consolidate and Write to each cell and mark it to be cleared? If Consolidation wasn't important why would it even be a step? I have used this and it worked great to bring my RAID setup back to top performance.

Agreed.. isn't this kinda how Tony Trim works? Consolidate and Write to each cell and mark it to be cleared? If Consolidation wasn't important why would it even be a step? I have used this and it worked great to bring my RAID setup back to top performance.

Tony Trim's results are the same but I dunno if it works exactly the same.

Back